1st lesson today! Theory on thursday :D

Hi all,

Just got back from my 1st class 2 lesson. Went really well, even enjoyed it! Got my theory booked for thursday so assuming I pass that (fingers crossed) its mission on!

Instructor guestimates that I should need about 12 hours training + test. All I have to do now is find the money on a weekly basis!

Sorry for the pointles post, had to tell someone! :smiley:

Mike

spy:
Instructor guestimates that I should need about 12 hours training + test.

I wouldn’t want to dampen your enthusiasm or knock your instructor, but as a matter of fact, your driving must be quite exceptional. If you pass after 12 hours, you’re quids in. :slight_smile:

From my time as an LGV instructor, I’ve known many people to need nearer to 25 hours.

:bulb: For some good advice, try finding a member called ROG. His signature at the bottom of his posts says it all. He’ll also give you some very good advice.

By the way, your post wasn’t pointless, cos we’re all here for you. EVERYBODY had a first day. Somewhere there’s somebody sweating on his first lesson next week- you have more experience than him :exclamation:

Good luck to you.

I was quoted 16hours, by 12hours my chances weren’t great, but by 16 I was ready as i’d ever be, if it wasn’t for a silly mistake of impatience i’d of passed. When I first jumped into the truck I was pretty poor (especially on the gearbox), so if you’re already ok then I think 12hours is doable 1-on-1 but you’ll have to work very hard, i was wasted by the end of each day.

spy:
Hi all,

Just got back from my 1st class 2 lesson. Went really well, even enjoyed it! Got my theory booked for thursday so assuming I pass that (fingers crossed) its mission on!

Instructor guestimates that I should need about 12 hours training + test. All I have to do now is find the money on a weekly basis!

Mike

Hi Spy (sounds like a game I used to play :slight_smile: )
I am ASSUMING that you intend to do your training a few hours each week, if this is correct, I would not recommend it. A structured intensive course with a test on the last day WILL give you a greater chance of passing.
It is not like your DSA car training & test where you have the opportunity to practise in DADS :wink: car between lessons.

12 hours is a very short time unless you are a 7.5 tonne driver and have been practicing the DSA C drive, reversing & braking exercises in it.

I would invest in an assessment drive with another LGV training company to get a second opinion before comitting yourself.

spy:
Hi all,

Sorry for the pointles post, had to tell someone! :smiley:

Mike

There you go spy, I thought you’d get a bite from ROG on that one :exclamation:

There’s a very high probability that he’s right- take his advice.

I am not commiting myself to anything, there is no way I can afford to pay up front for an intensive course at the moment and after my trip to cornwall next week I will have no holidays left till after christmas… :frowning: I can afford 2 hours a week for a few weeks then I have the £400 coming from the sale of my caravan (anyone wanna buy a cheap wobbly box■■? :smiley:)

Plan is take my theory on thursday and then go away for a week on holiday. When I come back I will do two or three weeks of 2 hour lessons once a week and then once the caravan has been sold I will blow the lot on a load close together.

Asessment did go fairly well, maybe I fluked it though you never know. I had assesment and then a 1 hour lesson back to back. Did 15 minutes or so on an industrial estate, demonstrating moving off etc then went out for a bit on the road round various different types of roads, junctions and roundabouts including a trip down the M56 and then back to base.

Havent been driving 7.5 tonners but work in a garage, probabaly drive 20 or so different cars and vans a week so im pretty used to adapting to a new vehicle. Also spent quite some time doing multi drop in a sprinter so I suppose I have an idea what I might be letting myself in for once I pass :wink:. Did some terrible runs as a white van man, at least the tacho will put a stop to all that!

Thanks for the tips folks, if nothing else I am now completely prepared for it to take longer and cost more than was estimated.

Trainers is truk warrington though, did ask on here 1st and there were no bad words and I have spoken to a few people in the real world who recommended them.

TBH All I am thinking about now is the â– â– â– â–  theory, did the car theory years ago without a problem but it was half the questions and back then there was no hazard perception. Fingers bloody crossed!

Click on here to find another with HPT trouble
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

spy:
Did some terrible runs as a white van man, at least the tacho will put a stop to all that!

Yep, it will! You’ll have to do just as much in half the time! Enjoy! :smiling_imp:

Passed the theory this morning anyway! Thats one test down :smiley:

spy:

Well done :exclamation:

The theory test isn’t easy- I’ve known people to need several goes at that.

:bulb: Having regard to what has been said earlier, please be advised that a theory test pass certificate has a LIMITED validity.

theory test is too easy, i got 35 out of 35, i though u had to have had passed ur theory b4 taking lessons?

spy:

WELL DONE - How did you do on the HPT?

john_d:
theory test is too easy, i got 35 out of 35, i though u had to have had passed ur theory b4 taking lessons?

Did you do the HPT?
Watch me slip up here - I think you can do assessments before completing theory but cannot undertake formal training - I may have got this wrong because all the LGV training companies I know ask if you have done your theory before they book a course with a test at the end of it. It could be that knowing you cannot take the practical test without passing the theory, LGV training firms believe it would not be in your best interest.

PLEASE SOME-ONE PUT ME RIGHT

As I understand it you can do as many lessons as you like before you take your theory, you just cant take your practical test.

I did 35 questions when I did my car theory in 98 and no hpt. The lgv theory this time around was 60 questions but plenty are common sense, some you obviously need to learn. I got 59 out of 60 on the questions. I screwed up the 2nd clip on the hpt and got no marks at all on that for over clicking! :frowning:

I scraped through the hpt with 63 out of 75 and as I understand it the minimum is 60! To be honest though, 61 would have done me nicely, a pass is a pass! :smiley:

ROG:
Did you do the HPT?

70 out of 75

Nice one! Thats pretty good going! :smiley:

spy:
As I understand it you can do as many lessons as you like before you take your theory, you just cant take your practical test.

Correct, there’s no requirement to have passed the theory before taking lessons. I think the reason that driving schools request a theory test pass before allowing lessons is to ensure that the candidate can actually be entered for the test.

mrpj:

spy:

Correct, there’s no requirement to have passed the theory before taking lessons. I think the reason that driving schools request a theory test pass before allowing lessons is to ensure that the candidate can actually be entered for the test.

Thanks guys - my logic was out of sinque - the same rules apply for car and lorry :slight_smile:

spy:
I scraped through the hpt with 63 out of 75 and as I understand it the minimum is 60! To be honest though, 61 would have done me nicely, a pass is a pass! :smiley:

Well done Spy but I thought the pass mark for the HPT stayed at 50 and above the same as cars.

Can anyone confirm this

kaode:

spy:

Well done Spy but I thought the pass mark for the HPT stayed at 50 and above the same as cars.

Can anyone confirm this

44 for cars and 50 for LGV according to this link:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le … DG_4022534

I could have swarn I had read 60! Thing is I thought I read it here 2pass.co.uk/faqhazard.htm#eight

It does indeed say 50! :blush: :unamused:

I wish I had known that, I wouldnt have been so gutted when I voided the 2nd clip, I really did think I had virtually no chance of passing after that!