1st hgv job, invaluable driving items

So I’ve landed my first class 1 job not hard job, just transferring car parts for jaguar land rover but just wondering what kind of items experienced hgv drivers couldn’t do without?

A really really good pair…

Of gloves. Personally I use the lightweight leather gloves and get them from Ebay.

A pair of gloves for doing stuff when it’s wet.

Baby-wipes. Invaluable for wiping the ketchup off your face when meeting your future girlfriend.

A good torch. There’s so many on the market now you are spoilt for choice. I’m considering a headtorch despite looking like an approaching jumbo jet in the dark.

Spare charging leads for your phone/tablet and a power pack.

Tissues.

Headache pills.

Enough cash/credit or both, to get you home/a bed for the night/ a meal.

Duc-tape and a sharp knife. Handy for patching up things falling off the lorry and preparation of a body for later disposal.

Like your mum always advised, a clean pair of undies everyday.

edit typo

Small tin WD 40 for when it should move but won’t.

Gloves, re-chargeable headtorch, woolly hat, one of those pen knife multitool things that’s also a set of pliers and screwdrivers, charge cable for phone (12/24V), long cable ties, roll of duct tape, spare bulbs, spare tacho roll, bog roll, spare set of shreddies, pack of immodium, pack of headache tablets, a spoon, sun glasses.

Mobile phone with unlimited data contract, a tablet and a Netflix/Amazon/Disney subscription.

All the above, and Ill agree with at least two pairs of gloves. One plastic pair for suzzies, diesel etc, and decent leather ones for straps etc. Plastic bag to keep them in so they dont contaminate other stuff, diesel stinks and spreads everywhere.
Even if you are issued with boots, get some that suit you. A few extra quid to keep yourself safe and comfortable is worth it.

A bit of hand soap depending on what facilities you frequent and how often they get replenished.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Small tin WD 40 for when it should move but won’t.

Roll of Gaffer Tape for when it moves and shouldnt.

If only day driver.

2Pr Gloves, one for wet one for dry.
Truck Sat Nav- best you can afford, Garmin Dezl or TomTom.
Re chargeable Head Torch
Power extention with spr phone charger.
Wet wipes.

Personally I wouldn’t be without my earpods, I know most trucks have bluetooth, but earpods are a million times better.
Oh and I love my heat tin, Aldi ready made mince and dumplings £2.49 - in the heat tin for 40 mins and it’s better\cheaper food then you can ever get on the road.

TC:
If only day driver.

Re chargeable Head Torch
Wet wipes.

Personally I wouldn’t be without my earpods, I know most trucks have bluetooth, but earpods are a million times better.
Oh and I love my heat tin, Aldi ready made mince and dumplings £2.49 - in the heat tin for 40 mins and it’s better\cheaper food then you can ever get on the road.

What’s a heat tin?

if driving long distance then comfortable driving shoes are a must. your feet will thank you.
Spare dog clip and cable ties just in case
multi tool is worth while
Tacho rolls…
Pens, at least x5 as they always disappear!
spare phone cables/chargers, not cheap ones as they don’t last.

Always make sure you have enough food. If you don’t have a kettle get a flask. Some places will treat you like a criminal and won’t let you use their canteen facilities

stu675:

TC:
If only day driver.

Re chargeable Head Torch
Wet wipes.

What’s a heat tin?

One of these, excellent for me. I do afternoon shift and my break is around tea time so want a decent hot meal. Put it on when i get to store and start tipping, come out and its hot for my break. Do all sorts in it, pasta, curry & rice, chilli, fish pie, shepherds pie, basically anything you would heat through in the microwave. Mines got 2 compartments so can do stuff like stew in one side and some pre cooked new spuds in the other.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/aceyoon-Electric-Lunch-Box-Removable-Stainless-Heated-Lunch-Box/dp/B09SD6Z77G/ref=sr_1_46?crid=3PTVAU4UU39SC&keywords=12v+hot+box+for+food&qid=1681132466&sprefix=12v+hot%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-46

Nice! Thanks

I’d also suggest a heated lunchbox they run on 12 or 24 v
Long as foods precooked not raw will heat anything up usually in about an hour or so.

Decent road map and if you have lot of paperwork etc either a clipboard or a folder.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, much appreciated

J21my_c:
So I’ve landed my first class 1 job not hard job, just transferring car parts for jaguar land rover but just wondering what kind of items experienced hgv drivers couldn’t do without?

DHL by any chance mate ?

I would imagine it’s localish day work you are doing , so don’t worry about clean pants etc …. Definitely phone charger cables and baby wipes , I like to take a hand brush to sweep out footwell before I start and when I finish .

Why am I only learning about heated lunch boxes now :bulb: :question:

Fuzrat , I am well impressed matey !

I have to carry a toothbrush for when my back itches and I cant reach it.
Also,a fire tablet with amazon prime,if you need to kill time.
I bring a few battery packs just in case the cigarette lighter lets you down.I dont like using them anyway.I have known them to be wired up the wrong way so 24v coming out even though its labelled 12v,baby wipes,tissues.
If you are working nights a few cans of costa ,if I have 2 cans,thats it,Im wide awake,couldnt sleep if I tried,but it might not be healthy,I guess.I bring a small first aid kit and small fire extinguisher.You never know,it could save a life if you are the first to get to an accident.Also,Ive been trying to get a concave mirror for checking the brake lights are working.Rennies,if you get acid reflux.If you are on container work,a HGV tyre lever so you can whack the rear door shut or use it as leverage.If you are on curtainsiders,you will get some doors that wont stay in the open position,so maybe some strong string so you can tie it to the side combined with the strong cable tied

spike78:
Why am I only learning about heated lunch boxes now :bulb: :question:

Fuzrat , I am well impressed matey !

used to spend a fortune on mcdonalds and general fast food rubbish, granted I get staff discount but even at normal prices its 3 for £7.50 on ready meals, even cheaper if you do a slowcooker batch cook of chilli, curry, stew etc. Probably save a good 30 quid a week so thats the ■■■■■■■ paid for in the first week :sunglasses:

JLR so guessing DHL?

In which case no need to think. Just rock up and do what you’re told without thinking using stuff you’re given