1st application to Agency

Just applied for an Ad Hoc Saturday Job on C+e hoping this gets me started and the confidence built up. Fingers crossed

Weird though ive had 3 emails from agencies offering full time work when my C V states ad hoc Saturdays only

geoffwales:
Just applied for an Ad Hoc Saturday Job on C+e hoping this gets me started and the confidence built up. Fingers crossed

Weird though ive had 3 emails from agencies offering full time work when my C V states ad hoc Saturdays only

What job are you doing the rest of the week, Geoff? If you don’t mind me asking.

Manager of an air treatment company, although i work mainly from home.

How many hours do you do Geoff as this will have an impact on when and how much driving you can actually do.

are you a new driver?

most likely they won’t be able to offer wok easily if you are new

Hi my hours of office based work is 9 to 5, but my office is at home, i may drive about 3 days a week nothing more than a few hours each day in the car.

I had my licence for 22 years, and used to do a bit for friends and family, also used to drive class 2 regularly in TA. Not driven much in-between so recently took a refresher with local training company, also did CPC and im awaiting my digicard in the post.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong Geoff but 9 to 5 Monday to Friday is 40 hours and you have to count this as other work, so due to EU regs you would only be able to do 10 hours every other weekend.

I also have an hour a day breaks would the wtd take that into account, bringing down my actual paid hours to 35

Weekly rest is the problem, 45 hours min, can be reduced to 24 once in a fortnight but has to be paid back

Correct me if not 100% accurate

Just had a quick look at

gov.uk/maximum-weekly-worki … king-hours

and it states what doesn’t count as hours worked include breaks when no work is done.
If im right in understanding I can drive the full hours over a weekend ie 10 hrs one day 9 the next

Well that’s interesting Geoff,

If it really is worked out over a 17 week period, I work at a school term time only which means over 17 weeks I will have a half term off for 1 week then the end of term wich can be 2 to 3 weeks off so I should be well under the working hours :smiley:

so this is how I work my hours out over the 17 week period as they never change;

Monday to Thursday 8-4 = 8 hours per day
Friday 8 - 3:30 = 7.5 hours
Total = 39.5 hour now take away 5 hours over the week for lunch now = 34.5 working hours a week

Now I times that by 14 as over the 17 week period I have half term and end of term coming to 3 weeks off that = 483 working hours
Now divide 483 by the 17 week average that the DVLA say and that means I do an average of 28.4 hours a week :smiley:

geoffwales:
Hi my hours of office based work is 9 to 5, but my office is at home, i may drive about 3 days a week nothing more than a few hours each day in the car.

I had my licence for 22 years, and used to do a bit for friends and family, also used to drive class 2 regularly in TA. Not driven much in-between so recently took a refresher with local training company, also did CPC and im awaiting my digicard in the post.

Do you keep records of the hours worked at home? If not no one will no what you are doing so drive whenever you want.

I don’t keep any at all,

mac12:
Do you keep records of the hours worked at home? If not no one will no what you are doing so drive whenever you want.

For what it’s worth I would check on that as I think for domestic drivers you have to keep a record of all the work you do, on the off chance you get stopped and are checked is it worth being in serious trouble with the law.

staningrimsby:

mac12:

For what it’s worth I would check on that as I think for domestic drivers you have to keep a record of all the work you do, on the off chance you get stopped and are checked is it worth being in serious trouble with the law.

You are supposed to keep records but how would anyone no what hours you are working when at home, he could drive all weekend and then say he’s on break when at home for years in the summer I used to drive all week then sit on a tractor ploughing from Friday evening until Sunday night

mac12:

staningrimsby:

mac12:

You are supposed to keep records but how would anyone no what hours you are working when at home, he could drive all weekend and then say he’s on break when at home for years in the summer I used to drive all week then sit on a tractor ploughing from Friday evening until Sunday night

I’ve disagreed with mac a few times on this forum but on this occasion I totally agree with his point. How can any work you do at home ever be proved - it’s not like you turn up to a place of work where records of employment and work done will be kept should anyone need to look into anything.

Does that make it right - well technically no but what harm is being done.

As has been said earlier, the problem with driving on top of a 9-5 Mon-Fri job is usually the weekly rest requirements. How do you plan on getting an unbroken 45 hour rest at least once a fortnight?

If you have driven under EU regs in any week (I think this is a fixed week i.e. Mon-Sun) you are required to keep records of all your hours for that week, and you will be expected to present records for the last 28 days on demand if you are stopped by the DVSA. If you decide to hide another job then you will need to falsify your records, so better make sure your cover story is plausible, watertight, and doesn’t give any cause for suspicion that DVSA might want to check up further on your employment records.

The purpose of the driver regulations is to promote fairness and safety among other things. If the worst happens and you become involved in a serious incident then you can expect the authorities to tear your life apart establishing exactly what you were up to. If it is found that you were falsifying records then you can be sure they’ll throw the book at you. Is that a risk worth taking - for you, and for those you might hit through fatigue?

Geoff is no idiot, he can work his hours out to suit by keeping a diary of his other work.

Best of luck mate, hope you get back into the swing of things soon.

These bloody hours confuse the hell out of me, just when I think I’ve worked it out and it suits me I get told by someone it’s wrong :cry: