1st application to Agency

As has been said if you work at home and don’t keep records no-ones going to know that you do any work in the week, however you should be aware of what the rules are so you know what to admit to if you get stopped.

In weeks that you drive in-scope of EU rules, legally the work you do in your usual job should be recorded as other work on charts or printouts, this would mean that you could probably only drive in-scope of EU regulations one day every two weeks.

So if you do get stopped and start telling them about all the hours you’ve done in your other job you can expect problems if they’re not recorded :wink:

You see that’s where I get confused tachograph, is the hours before or after its been averaged over 17 weeks ■■?

staningrimsby:
You see that’s where I get confused tachograph, is the hours before or after its been averaged over 17 weeks ■■?

Sorry mate I don’t know what you mean, is what hours before or after it’s been averaged over the reference period ?

If you mean hours worked for a company that’s nothing to do with road transport they’re not included in the calculation for the 48 hour average week, legally in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you’re supposed to keep records of other work done just to show that you’ve complied with the daily rest period requirements on days tha tyou drive in-scope of EU regulations, and to show that you’ve complied with the weekly rest period requirement in the same week.

Sorry I know I’m not explaining it very well :blush:

I work at a school Monday to Friday not including holidays do I have to take that into account if driving at weekends ■■

staningrimsby:
Sorry I know I’m not explaining it very well :blush:

I work at a school Monday to Friday not including holidays do I have to take that into account if driving at weekends ■■

The legal position is this:

In weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations, legally you should record the time you’re working at the school as other work, it should be recorded on charts or printouts.

The time spent working for a company that is not involved in road transport, such as a school, does not count as working time for the Road Transport (Working Time) regulations 2005 (RT(WT)R), therefore is not included in the calculation of the 48 hour week mentioned in the RT(WT)R.
(In that sense the school work is not taken into account)

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you are legally required to have daily and weekly rest periods, the point of being required to keep records of other work done in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations is so that at a road-side check the DVSA could tell that you’ve complied with the daily rest requirement on days that you drive, and that you comply with the weekly rest requirement in the same week.
(In this sense the school work is taken into account)

Those records serve no other purpose than to allow your daily/weekly rest periods to be checked in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations.
In fact you can bin the records after 28 days if you want to.

In other words the work done for companies not involved in road transport should be taken into account when calculating daily and weekly rest periods, but it is not taken into account when calculating the 48 hour average week.

To complicate things further, you should bear in mind that whilst none road transport related work does not count towards the average 48 hour week for the RT(WT)R, if the company/organisation/school you work for insists on you complying with the 48 hour week for the general WTD (Working Time Regulations 1998) then the road transport work will be included in the average for the general WTD.
Otherwise you can opt out of the 48 hour week for the general WTD.

WOW Tachograph that was intense indeed :slight_smile:

I think I get your gist though, it’s not the most straight forward of things to understand though and it makes it a bit more complex the fact I have another job and just want to get some experience, at least it will be more straight forward when the school holidays are here :smiley:

If you’re just starting out with trucking then it’s definitely worth making use of school holiday time to get some driving in as a solid chunk if you can. I was finding it quite difficult making things stick when I started out doing two days or so a week. It was only when they persuaded me to take a week off from my office job and do a full five day block of driving shifts that I started to make proper progress. Things began to click into place after that, and I find that I can now keep ticking over with 2-3 days a week in the truck earning beans and 3 days in the office earning money.

This keeps me within the driving hours regulations, putting in the obligatory 45 hour rest every other week.