175,000 tachograph cards could be faulty

Taken from Commercial Motor

Up to 175,000 digital tachograph cards issued to commercial vehicle drivers during an 18-month period are at risk of malfunction, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has confirmed.

The DVLA says the faulty cards - which when inserted display on the vehicle unit a series of error codes - were issued between 24 March 2007 and 31 August 2008. Cards issued outside of these dates are not affected.

A DVLA statement says: "We are urgently investigating the problem and will be contacting those drivers affected. In the meantime, drivers with a malfunctioning card can continue to drive until they are issued a replacement card.

“We have agreed with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) that no action will be taken against drivers with one of these malfunctioning cards.”

Training company and digital tachograph maker Novadata has confirmed several drivers have reported seeing “error code 48”; “card error”; “card not valid” and “card expired” messages displayed when inserting what should be valid cards.

Novadata advises drivers to check the card in another vehicle or download device to ascertain if it is faulty and if so to contact the DVLA within seven days. Returned cards should be marked “code 48” on the envelope to enable quick processing, with replacement cards issued in 5-7 days.

Although the reason for the cards malfunctioning is not yet known, one driver, who preferred not to be named, contacted CM to say he’d spoken to drivers from many of the major truck operators who had been affected by the problem.

You can apply for a replacement at the DfT site.

Have you got a faulty card? email chirs.druce@roadtransport.com

They’re not going to get them all processed in 15 days are they.

Gwen Cooper told me on the hotline that it was about 982,000 drivers with knacked cards according to their pootah. :wink:

And to think we were all told to worry about the Millennium Bug. I bet someone in Taiwan is laughing his ■■■■ off now! :stuck_out_tongue:

bald bloke:
They’re not going to get them all processed in 15 days are they.

A DVLA statement says: "We are urgently investigating the problem and will be contacting those drivers affected. In the meantime, drivers with a malfunctioning card can continue to drive until they are issued a replacement card.

“We have agreed with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) that no action will be taken against drivers with one of these malfunctioning cards.”

HTH :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I had this last summer with my card and it dvla 5 weeks to sort it. I just did printouts but nobody ever asked about or were bothered.

I’ve got 2 cards so I use as a spare. :wink:

I wonder if they’l still charge you 19 quid for the replacement card :unamused:
Tossers.

m4rky:

Dosnt that just make you feel all warm inside? :laughing:

well mines is one of them lol. only been getting the code 48 error in the last 2 weeks, but it isnt everytime i insert my card and i dont have a clue what error code 48 is lol.

Gembo:
Tossers.

There is not, and has never been, a charge for replacing for a faulty card.

well i dont need to bother about this as i have been driving a paper chart unit for 2 months now :imp: does my tree in
i looked at my card the other day and couldnt remember for the life of me what it was for :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

Gembo:
Tossers.

No, very true, forgot that…
But just think of the golden oppurtunity to bleed more money from honest folk!

Making a quick callculation, if it is 175’000 cards that need to bereplace FOC, then it works out to just over 3.32 million quid :open_mouth:

cliffton 27:
well i dont need to bother about this as i have been driving a paper chart unit for 2 months now :imp: does my tree in
i looked at my card the other day and couldnt remember for the life of me what it was for :laughing:

No, but aren’t you going to look a prat when you do need to use it and it comes up with code 48?

I would advise everyone to stick their cards in a digital VU just to see if it is one of a bad batch, anyone’s VU will do, it doesn’t have to be your own company motor.

m4rky:
The DVLA says the faulty cards - which when inserted display on the vehicle unit a series of error codes - were issued between 24 March 2007 and 31 August 2008. Cards issued outside of these dates are not affected.

My card was issued in april 2007 and hasn`t gone faulty once.

Just checked mine, valid from21/1/2009 so it should be OK
Paul

Gembo:

Coffeeholic:

Gembo:
Tossers.

No, very true, forgot that…
But just think of the golden oppurtunity to bleed more money from honest folk!

Making a quick callculation, if it is 175’000 cards that need to bereplace FOC, then it works out to just over 3.32 million quid :open_mouth:

yea il check it out anyway cant hurt

Just this morning put mine in and its not working…arghhh…dont think ill be allowed to work with faulty one…:cry:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

cliffton 27:

No, but aren’t you going to look a prat when you do need to use it and it comes up with code 48?

I would advise everyone to stick their cards in a digital VU just to see if it is one of a bad batch, anyone’s VU will do, it doesn’t have to be your own company motor.

Good advice that, and don’t forget the value of any advice is proportional to the number of posts folks, so this bit you can take it as read from Zeus Logistica himself! :slight_smile:

markoyl:
Just this morning put mine in and its not working…arghhh…dont think ill be allowed to work with faulty one…:cry:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Don’t tell anyone, just do a printout and ■■■■ off :smiley:

Mine was printed 01/01/2008 but no faults as yet. Time will tell.

m4rky:

Novadata advises drivers to check the card in another vehicle or download device to ascertain if it is faulty and if so to contact the DVLA within seven days. Returned cards should be marked “code 48” on the envelope to enable quick processing, with replacement cards issued in 5-7 days.

Although the reason for the cards malfunctioning is not yet known, one driver, who preferred not to be named, contacted CM to say he’d spoken to drivers from many of the major truck operators who had been affected by the problem.

You can apply for a replacement at the DfT site.

Have you got a faulty card? email chirs.druce@roadtransport.com

LATEST UPDATE
Phone 0300-790-6109.
Register your details. keep the faulty card and they send you another.
Current turnaround 5 working days.