15 hour shift + POA

miggs2269:
I am a new class C driver,working for an agency to gain experiance.Last night at a delivery i was told, it would be at least 4 hours before they could unload me.I parked up and put tacho on POA,and informed the office.I was told to sit it out,as i could not reload till empty.After 3 hours and 5 mins i was askrd to go on a bay and hand keys in.My transport office told me,as i had 3 hours POA i could work up to 18 in total !!
Last nite i booked 9.5 hours driving and a total shift time of 17.25 hours.Am i being taken advantage of,as a new driver.Is it 15 hours total shift time,or does POA extend this ? Many Thanks

This has actually made me really angry, its not fair at all that

Is this thread 10 years old :unamused:

So what happened to the twonk that told you it was legal all them years ago? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
So what happened to the twonk that told you it was legal all them years ago? [emoji23]

He is probably the head of the RHA or delivering CPC courses for them.

Wheel Nut:

mark1284:

He is probably the head of the RHA or delivering CPC courses for them.

Whatever hes doing, I bet he isnt worrying about paying bills…

I am a new class C driver,working for an agency to gain experiance.Last night at a delivery i was told, it would be at least 4 hours before they could unload me.I parked up and put tacho on POA,and informed the office.I was told to sit it out,as i could not reload till empty.After 3 hours and 5 mins i was askrd to go on a bay and hand keys in.My transport office told me,as i had 3 hours POA i could work up to 18 in total !!
Last nite i booked 9.5 hours driving and a total shift time of 17.25 hours.Am i being taken advantage of,as a new driver.Is it 15 hours total shift time,or does POA extend this ? Many Thanks

Yep they’ve took advantage mate, if you had of put it on break instead you could of done 15 and got a full daily rest in. I wouldn’t trust a thing they said in future

Welcome to Truckner-UK miggs2269 :wink:

miggs2269:

The person in the transport office who told you that should be sacked :open_mouth:

Under no normal circumstances are you allowed to go over 15 hours from the start of shift, you did a total of 17.25 hours from start to finish of shift so you had only 6 3/4 hours daily rest.

Sorry but if you get stopped you will likely get fined for insufficient daily rest.

Did you get the company to sign a time sheet for the 17.25 hours work ?
If not don’t mention that it was illegal until you’ve got them to sign a time-sheet :smiley: :wink:

This is a prime example of why drivers should learn the regulations and that applies especially to agency drivers.

For your own sake please download and study the “Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachograph Guide”.

You will find that this place should be a help for you in learning the regulations, I would however recommend putting questions on the regulations in this forum

Good luck :wink:

miggs2269:

They screwed you but nothing you can do about that now. Just hope you don’t get stopped or a big fine could be coming your way.

Don’t think in terms of shift time, that’s what causes confusion as the regulations do not mention a limit for the shift anywhere.

It’s all about the amount of rest in the 24-hour period, which begins when you start work, and that is 11 hours.

Start work at 06:00 and by 06:00 the next day you must have had a period of 11 hours rest. That means you can’t work more than 13 hours, 24 - 11 = 13.

Three times between your weekly rest periods you can reduce those 11 hours down to a minimum of 9 hours so start work at 06:00 and by 06:00 the next day you must have had a period of 9 hours rest. That means you can’t work more than 15 hours, 24 - 9 = 15.

Nothing in the regulations, POA or anything else, can reduce that rest to less than 9 hours.

Learn and stick to the daily rest requirements and the rest (no pun intended) will fall into place and you will be able to tell idiots like the guy in the office to do one.

There are a couple of tweaks to the rest requirements involving ferries but as a newbie it’s best to get the basics right first .

tachograph:
This is a prime example of why drivers should learn the regulations and that applies especially to agency drivers.

Its also a prime example of the inept EU beaurocrats who introduce an initial dcpc without a compulsory test on the regulations

many thanks to all…lesson learnt !!!

POA, is included within the 15 hours because you are available to work not resting … next time you hit 14 hrs 59 mins tell them to get a driver to get vehicle or take a night out …

discoman:
POA, is included within the 15 hours because you are available to work not resting … next time you hit 14 hrs 59 mins tell them to get a driver to get vehicle or take a night out …

Only if you want to be left stuck where you are. If you want to get home you need to be sorting it a good while before 14 hours and 59 minutes.

the problem with lgv driving is the clowns you are taking orders off dont give a dam for rules and regs drivers have to conform to you better hope you dont get stopped by vosa in the next 2 years or you will be looking at a fine of around £11.000 sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the goverment are screwing the hell out of drivers for tacho infingments

swellbelly:
the problem with lgv driving is the clowns you are taking orders off dont give a dam for rules and regs drivers have to conform to you better hope you dont get stopped by vosa in the next 2 years or you will be looking at a fine of around £11.000 sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the goverment are screwing the hell out of drivers for tacho infingments

Thanks for the laugh, the biggest problem with LGV driving is people who don’t know what they’re talking about posting crap like that :unamused:

Insufficient daily rest, insufficient by over 2 hours and current = £200 fixed penalty.

Print a copy off and keep it in your bag when you’re out driving. I’ve done this so I can always refer back to it if needed.

swellbelly:

Statute bar on driver’s hours offences is 6 months but don’t let the facts get in the way of the bullcrap.

There’s a Facebook page you would really enjoy, lots of crap like that on it. :wink:

ROG:

tachograph:

Its also a prime example of the inept EU beaurocrats who introduce an initial dcpc without a compulsory test on the regulations

I don’t know too much about the Initial DCPC (for “not much” read nothing :wink: ) but yes I would have thought that the “drivers hours and tachograph rules” should probably be a part of it.

Print this out , I carry it round with me folded in my licence, was invaluable when i first started

put this in your web address
dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/S … Driver.pdf

If this dosnt work go to vosa site and put in search staying legal this will take you to the saftey and maintenance leaflets and you can click on it from there :smiley:

jen x

It also makes the reason for using Rest, rather than POA look more attractive :stuck_out_tongue:

If you had used Rest Mode, they would have only had to chalk your wheels and cone you off for 9 hours instead of 11 :wink: