15 hour duty time

Franglais:
Are we talking about a split rest period for a ferry movement here?
If so a daily rest period can be interrupted (by up to one hour total) for a ferry movement.

He seems to be asking if it’s possible to take less than 9 hours daily rest. :bulb:

If so yes you can work a 24 hour shift so long as you don’t exceed 9 hours driving. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I’ve said this before, but this is why people shouldn’t think of a “15 hour day” rule and should properly understand the daily rest requirements.

Radar19:
I’m guessing this guy is new and his employer is taking advantage of that. My first shift was 17 hours long, I didn’t know any better, I knew about the driving regs but I wasn’t told anything about the WTD.

The requirement for 11hrs (or 9hrs if reducing) daily rest within 24 hours of starting work has nothing whatsoever to do with WTD.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

HHmmmm. Little blue flash has gone out on "happyone"s avatar. Maybe it`s 15 hours since he made the original post?

The 24 hour cycle starts at the start of the shift right? So if he has an 18 hour shift then take a 15 hour rest cuz his next shift is starting late. The next 24 hour period won’t start until the start of his next shift.

Just a thought. I’m still new. Don’t abuse me please lol

Kasim2k3:
The 24 hour cycle starts at the start of the shift right? So if he has an 18 hour shift then take a 15 hour rest cuz his next shift is starting late. The next 24 hour period won’t start until the start of his next shift.

The 24 hour period doesn’t have to be 24 hours, but it can’t exceed 24 hours

happyone:
, he made it sound applause-able but I should have known better.

What? So he gets you to do 18 and a half hours, not only that but he expects a clap for it■■? :open_mouth:

:smiley: Sorry mate, tried to resist it but the urge was too strong. :blush:

Kasim2k3:

To summarise, a driver who begins work at 06.00 on day 1 must, by 06.00 on day 2 at the latest, have completed either:

a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours or
a split regular daily rest period of at least 12 hours or
if entitled a reduced daily rest period of at least 9 hours
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hour … vers-hours
Sorry but you`re probably about to abused. Cue dodgy puns etc.
From start of 24 cycle you need to have a full break before end of cycle. 24 minus 18 leaves 6, so by end of cycle only 6 hours rest taken. (We are ignoring double manning ferries exemptions here).
Put your shiny new PPE on.

happyone:
he is quite new to the job and it was my first trip abroad , he made it sound applause-able but I should have known better.

My lad passed his Cat C last week. Even he knows that its a max 15hrs.

What has being abroad got to do with anything? The rules are the same throughout the entire EU, that is why they’re called the EU Drivers Hours Regulations.

Conor:

happyone:
he is quite new to the job and it was my first trip abroad , he made it sound applause-able but I should have known better.

My lad passed his Cat C last week. Even he knows that its a max 15hrs.

What has being abroad got to do with anything? The rules are the same throughout the entire EU, that is why they’re called the EU Drivers Hours Regulations.

Guessing here, but OP said he had long breaks in port, and summat about ferry movements, hence maybe he should have booked a split break? Thats the way Im reading his posts, and TMs comments. Maybe hell be back later with more info.

I’ve edited the little confession out of my quote.

Stupid boy Pike.

Franglais:
Guessing here, but OP said he had long breaks in port, and summat about ferry movements, hence maybe he should have booked a split break? Thats the way Im reading his posts, and TMs comments. Maybe hell be back later with more info.

A split daily rest or however much break has been booked still won’t allow less than 9 hours daily rest and hence won’t allow more than a 15 hour shift from the time of starting.

James the cat:

Stupid boy Pike.

Well I haven’t, some of these guys need protecting from themselves before they kill themselves or some other poor ■■■■ or both.
Ok he’s a newbie but 18 and a half hours, ffs ! :unamused:
I wonder how much (or how little) rest his boss told him he could take. :bulb:

( I aint entirely a heartless ■■■■ btw, so if he asks me to I will.)

I’m in a bad mood I have to work tomorrow on my usual day off. :smiling_imp:

Even with a split break he can’t go over the 15 hours from the start of his shift though. Even with a split break he still has to have had a minimum of 9 hours rest if he has one still available to him before the end of the 24 hour period. On single manning there is zero circumstances where 18 hours is legal by any stretch of the imagination!

robroy:

James the cat:

Stupid boy Pike.

Well I haven’t, some of these guys need protecting from themselves before they kill themselves or some other poor [zb] or both.
Ok he’s a newbie but 18 and a half hours, ffs ! :unamused:
I wonder how much (or how little) rest his boss told him he could take. :bulb:

( I aint entirely a heartless [zb] btw, so if he asks me to I will.)

I’m in a bad mood I have to work tomorrow on my usual day off. :smiling_imp:

Oooo you ■■■■■ :laughing:

robroy:
some of these guys need protecting from themselves

That’s why we need some decent simplified rules along the lines 12 hours max shift 12 hours minimum daily rest no ifs no buts and no reductions.

Obviously we are talking here about the “Friday night ferry rule” although the op didn’t say which way he was shipping , if he’s heading home then it’s no problem, or was that just in the eighties?

Obviously we are talking here about the “Friday night ferry rule” although the op didn’t say which way he was shipping , if he’s heading home then it’s no problem, or was that just in the eighties?

eurotrans:
if he’s heading home then it’s no problem, or was that just in the eighties?

NOTHING was a problem in the 80s when it came to hours. :laughing:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

A split daily rest or however much break has been booked still won’t allow less than 9 hours daily rest and hence won’t allow more than a 15 hour shift from the time of starting.

Example:
Start 00hr00. Driving and other work until 14hr00. Start daily break. Rest for 4hrs. 30mins to board ferry. Resume rest. 5hrs on ferry. 30mins debarque. Resume rest for another 2hrs. Legal, I think.
Being inexperienced the OP may have thought, and indeed, booked 00hr00 until 16hr30 as work, instead of booking off at 14hr00. So he may have worked a true,legal, 14hr shift but thought he was working 16nhalf hours. It sure as hell feels like a long shift, but, (as I understand and run em) thats the rules.

The “Friday Night Ferry Rule” still exists, and also allows for a 3rd ten (and a bit) hour driving shift of course. And spread-overs are still extendable if a meal receipt is shown of course.