15 hour duty and 11 hours off

The 11 hours off is only a 9 hour daily rest as it does not fit in to the 24 hour time window.When in Europe i was never fined for having a 11 hour rest as they would see it as just that.

toby1234abc:
The 11 hours off is only a 9 hour daily rest as it does not fit in to the 24 hour time window.

Thanks for that valuable bit of information. :confused:

What is your point Toby ?

Errr. 15h duty cannot be done all week long. You should know that by now Toby.

Ring the nurse. Toby needs more meds.

dar1976:
Errr. 15h duty cannot be done all week long.

Errr. It can.

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

Errr. It can.

Glad somebody agrees.
Rest period is a rolling 24hrs, so when your stopped count back 9 or 11 hrs rest and your legal

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

Errr. It can.

I wonder how many drivers have actually done 6 x 15 hr shifts in a week probably not many.

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

Errr. It can.

:grin::grin::grin:

No it can’t. Duty plus rest must be completed within 24 h of the start of duty.

Taking all rest requirements into account, you cannot do 6 x 15 h duties and have 11 hr rest periods.

Am I missing something?

dar1976:

Taking all rest requirements into account, you cannot do 6 x 15 h duties and have 11 hr rest periods.

Am I missing something?

Yep :smiley:
Get that thinking cap on :bulb:

dar1976:

Am I missing something?

Two possibilities come immediately to mind …

Using the split daily rest of 3+9 - can do that every 15 hour shift

Having a reduced weekly rest on Thursday - but that would only work every other week

dar1976:

Am I missing something?

What the hell do you do onthe second week after that ?

Ok I accept that a split rest would allow 15h duties right through.

But I must have slipped into a time warp.

Correct each point as I go (if necessary)

All duty plus legal rest must be taken in a 24 hr period.

If split rest is not available then you must take a full rest of 11 hours apart from the 3 times you are allowed to reduce.

I don’t see how (apart from splitting your rest) you can achieve 5/6 15 hour shifts. :-/

dar1976:

If split rest is not available then you must take a full rest of 11 hours apart from the 3 times you are allowed to reduce.

I don’t see how (apart from splitting your rest) you can achieve 5/6 15 hour shifts. :-/

I wasn’t referring to split rest at all, even though that does make it possible. You can reduce 3 times between weekly rest periods not per week so if you started Monday took 3 reduced daily rest periods, had a 24-hour weekly rest you could then reduce a further 3 times and you have 6x9 hour daily rest periods, and therefore 6x15-hour duty periods in a week.

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

I wasn’t referring to split rest at all, even though that does make it possible. You can reduce 3 times between weekly rest periods not per week so if you started Monday took 3 reduced daily rest periods, had a 24-hour weekly rest you could then reduce a further 3 times and you have 6x9 hour daily rest periods, and therefore 6x15-hour duty periods in a week.

Thanks for that explanation. I see where you coming from. I was not trying to be awkward. Just couldn’t see it.

dar1976:

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

Thanks for that explanation. I see where you coming from. I was not trying to be awkward. Just couldn’t see it.

is awkward the word you were after? Maybe pedantic?

One of my ex bosses expected a cross channel crossing to Calais but i had hit fifteen hour duty while arriving at Dover.

I always remember the simple rule when considering reduced daily rests …

Any weekly rest of at least 24 hours resets the max 3 reduced daily rests

The usual error is that many think of the issue in terms of the fixed week instead of between weekly rests

ROG:
The usual error is that many think of the issue in terms of the fixed week instead of between weekly rests

Easy mistake for some i suppose considering driving hours is Mon to Sun fixed week.

bald bloke:

ROG:

Easy mistake for some i suppose considering driving hours is Mon to Sun fixed week.

I cannot see the need for the fixed week because daily restrictions and between weekly rests would mean safety is covered fully