15 hour days

Is it not time the 15 hour rule should be changed to 12 hours,as more and more companies are planning 15 hour work loads every day, Tesco and many others, by the time you have done 15 hours work plus travel to and from work had a shower and something to eat, you are around the 17+ hours mark before you hit the sack, surely this is wrong!, is it not time we did something about this like an e-petition or something, is 12 hours not enough!

E-petition is now ready to be signed please tell others and follow link to sign
epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48547

Thankyou. :smiley:

p.s dont forget to click on your email link to confirm you signature

overworked/underpaid:
Is it not time the 15 hour rule should be changed to 12 hours,as more and more companies are planning 15 hour work loads every day, Tesco and many others, by the time you have done 15 hours work plus travel to and from work had a shower and something to eat, you are around the 17+ hours mark before you hit the sack, surely this is wrong!, is it not time we did something about this like a e-petition or something, is 12 hours not enough!

very rare i do over 9 hours let alone 12!

advantage of being agency driver

like today start at noon home by 8.30

15 hour work loads is ridiculous , as you say 12 hours is enough, fair enough if you go over now & again it’s not the end of the world , but to do such long hours all the time is going to cause more accidents due to driver fatigue.

15hrs is far too excessive, but until supermarkets stop treating you as mobile storage facilities, nothing will change, until every driver refuses to do it, that is.

i’ve been preaching the same thing for a long time :smiley:

all work rest and no play causes depression

No thank you, 15 hours is designed for trampers and with out 15 hours I would hardly get anything done, 9 hours off is plenty for a tramper.

However I think shift drivers should stand up for themselves and say to their bosses, that’s fine planning a 15 hour day but I’m going to have 11 hours off (but will count as reduced anyway) from when I walk through the door at home to when I walk back out the next day and NOT when the card is pulled from the truck.

And to be honest, tesco are only using drivers hours to use the drivers as extra storage anyway.

when we had log books, was the total daily limit not 12½ hrs ■■

overworked/underpaid:
Is it not time the 15 hour rule should be changed to 12 hours,as more and more companies are planning 15 hour work loads every day, Tesco and many others, by the time you have done 15 hours work plus travel to and from work had a shower and something to eat, you are around the 17+ hours mark before you hit the sack, surely this is wrong!, is it not time we did something about this like a e-petition or something, is 12 hours not enough!

The answer is to ban 9 hour breaks at base, then a driver not doig a night out can only work 13 hours :wink:

15 hours!!! No thanks. I started at 0330 this morning all done by 0930. That’ll do for me.

15 hour shifts are not really the issue - the amount of rest between shifts is especially for those people than need 7 or 8 hours sleep in order to be fully ok to drive safely

There is of course the max 3 reduced daily rests between weekly rests that will restrict the amount of 15 shifts unless split daily rests are being used

Any driver can refuse to take limited rest if they feel it will compromise safety but in these economic times bosses will just get rid of you and get another unemployed driver from the thousands that are on the dole

eddie snax:

overworked/underpaid:

The answer is to ban 9 hour breaks at base, then a driver not doig a night out can only work 13 hours :wink:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fileep:

eddie snax:

overworked/underpaid:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would like to see similar but not exactly that …

… an extra rule that states a driver must have a minimum 11 hours OFF if at base within a 26 hour period

Its just another example of bad law. This whole fitting into 24 hours is pointless. I say keep the 15 but if you do on you must have 11 rest. If you want to do 9 hours rest work a max of 13. Its so very stupid that you get less rest for working a longer day.

switchlogic:
Its just another example of bad law. This whole fitting into 24 hours is pointless. I say keep the 15 but if you do on you must have 11 rest. If you want to do 9 hours rest work a max of 13. Its so very stupid that you get less rest for working a longer day.

what he said ^

The trick to doing 15 hour shifts is to only do a max of three in one week, then take a 4 day break.

That way, you’ve done a full time amount of hours - or at least what WOULD be classed as “full time 45 hours” in other industries!

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to “scrapping 15 hour shifts” because it will mean those with full time jobs currently, will find themselves being moved from a 4 or 5 day week pattern to a constant 5-6-5-6 pattern of shorter shifts, which of course means more days you can’t have off and more money and time spent commuting, which many of us do full time or no.

Sure, you’re knackered by Wednesday should you be doing 15 hour shifts “all week” BUT you were never supposed to be doing those 15 hour shifts as part of a 90 hour week (48 paid) right?

Yes, I will bang on about “time spent at work” is too long compared to “legal maximums” which seem to only apply to driving times and paid on-duty hours.

That “reduced rest to 9 hours 3 times a week, 11 hours the rest” needs to move away from “reduced rest hours=time you’re not being paid” to “reduced rest hours=time you’re at home!” in my book anyways! Not all of us want to find themselves giving so many hours up for tramping purposes unpaid, that they have no life outside the job, all the while the job isn’t even making them any richer, merely paying the bills.

We should as drivers be pushing for a maximum 48 hour week (week in week out hours) which would have more of us working 4x12 hours a week with 3 days off. Better for all of us surely?

any run planned between 12 and 15 hours is a choice at our depot. :slight_smile:

Start an e petiton then and stop talking about it. chop chop

It is where I work, but I’ll choose to do the full 15 at premium hourly rates at weekends, rather than midweek when rates are still below par, as they have been the past decade by simply standing still during that time.

It’s called “fiscal drag”. :frowning:

I don’t commute any distance these days without either my expenses being paid and/or £12ph rates. If that means I find myself not doing anything but local, nights, & weekend work then so be it.
£10ph will do for local work only. My old banger costs to run, so every day I don’t have to drive 90 minutes each way for a shift is hard cash saved, which is the same as hard cash earned another day. :wink:

Winseer:
The trick to doing 15 hour shifts is to only do a max of three in one week, then take a 4 day break.

That way, you’ve done a full time amount of hours - or at least what WOULD be classed as “full time 45 hours” in other industries!

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to “scrapping 15 hour shifts” because it will mean those with full time jobs currently, will find themselves being moved from a 4 or 5 day week pattern to a constant 5-6-5-6 pattern of shorter shifts, which of course means more days you can’t have off and more money and time spent commuting, which many of us do full time or no.

Sure, you’re knackered by Wednesday should you be doing 15 hour shifts “all week” BUT you were never supposed to be doing those 15 hour shifts as part of a 90 hour week (48 paid) right?

Yes, I will bang on about “time spent at work” is too long compared to “legal maximums” which seem to only apply to driving times and paid on-duty hours.

That “reduced rest to 9 hours 3 times a week, 11 hours the rest” needs to move away from “reduced rest hours=time you’re not being paid” to “reduced rest hours=time you’re at home!” in my book anyways! Not all of us want to find themselves giving so many hours up for tramping purposes unpaid, that they have no life outside the job, all the while the job isn’t even making them any richer, merely paying the bills.

We should as drivers be pushing for a maximum 48 hour week (week in week out hours) which would have more of us working 4x12 hours a week with 3 days off. Better for all of us surely?

Very well said indeed that man > mself? - i now work max of 3x12s which can sometimes run over,till i nearly do 40 hours some weeks.,its more than tiring enough at my age lol

Hi,
Just in the process of setting up an e-petition, will post details shortly, Thankyou for your replies, dont work to hard !