15 hour day

Quick question, can a driver be at work 15 hours every shift if he has a split shift each day with a block of at least 3 hours during the day then 9 hours off at end of shift?

yes

Yes.

That was quick lol, I thought it was legal, but just wanted to check…cheers

Got a job with Maritime?

No, lol, the reason I asked was that the last driver cpc class I attended, the instructor was 100% sure that this was illegal, I told him otherwise and he wouldnt have it, everyone else in the class looked at me as though I had 2 heads when I argued it

So long as it all fits in the 24 hr period .

robbo99:
No, lol, the reason I asked was that the last driver cpc class I attended, the instructor was 100% sure that this was illegal, I told him otherwise and he wouldnt have it, everyone else in the class looked at me as though I had 2 heads when I argued it

ah the good old cpc again lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robbo99:
Quick question, can a driver be at work 15 hours every shift if he has a split shift each day with a block of at least 3 hours during the day then 9 hours off at end of shift?

The trainer may have been thinking of the average max of 48hours per week. If these 15 hour shifts are ongoing, you’d only be able to do 3 a week, with 3 hours left over.
I’d like someone to check I’m right, please, cos I’m a bit of a noob…

What he stated 100% was that you could only be at work for 3 …15 hour shifts in one week, there was no mention of it being on going, he had never heard of split breaks and as I pointed out to him 15 hours at work with a block of at least 3 hours break during the day, then 9 hours break all adds up to 24 hours, start to finish

Sumsmeister:

robbo99:

The trainer may have been thinking of the average max of 48hours per week. If these 15 hour shifts are ongoing, you’d only be able to do 3 a week, with 3 hours left over.
I’d like someone to check I’m right, please, cos I’m a bit of a noob…

Average 48 goes on the driving time + other work time done during the shifts so if the driver got loads of POA and/or breaks then what has been stated can easily be done

The average does not refer to shift time - it should IMO but it doesn’t

Agree ROG

put into simple terms
if u work 15hour its a automatic reduced 9 hour rest as u can only do 3 of these a week then it means u can only do three 15hour shifts in one week hope this help if ur transport department say otherwise ask for it in writing bet they wont do it

Frazer smith:
put into simple terms
if u work 15hour its a automatic reduced 9 hour rest as u can only do 3 of these a week then it means u can only do three 15hour shifts in one week hope this help if ur transport department say otherwise ask for it in writing bet they wont do it

Agreed but the OP clearly stated with a 3 hour break during the day which means each daily rest is counted as an 11 hour break therefore he can do a 15 hour spread every day

mazzer:

Frazer smith:
put into simple terms

Agreed but the OP clearly stated with a 3 hour break during the day which means each daily rest is counted as an 11 hour break therefore he can do a 15 hour spread every day

Correct ^^.

Frazer smith:
put into simple terms

Not totally right, what we are talking about here is split breaks,
If your shift starts every morning, lets say 04.00, you work/drive then have a 3 hour uninterupted break, then work/drive some more, with a bit of POA mixed in and maybe another 45, you can within that 24 hour period, work a 15 hour shift up to 19.00, have your 9 off and start again at 04.00, all of the 6 days in your week.

Mazzer , you beat me to it

Of course this is legal if it all fits in the 24h period and for the three hours it qualifies as a rest (uninterrupted, free to dispose of time etc). This is NOT a reduced rest.

How can whoever the DCPC trainer was not know this? Name and shame them and I’ll take it up with the DVSA … ridiculous.

Frazer smith:
put into simple terms

wrong!

as I said if im wrong so be it but im going by the wording in the regs. if they is a get out clause in there please show me so I can show MR vosa next time im pulled P.S I know its not vosa now but don’t know what there called now b4 im chinned for that too