15 hour day. How much break?

Forget driving time. What is the minimum break needed in a 15 hour shift? Is it 45 mins?

E.g. Start at 0500 couple of hours driving 15 min break at 1100. Couple more hours driving 30 mins break at 1700 this would reset your drive time. 2 hours drive back to base then 30 mins other work finish at 2000. Is it legal?

Thanks inadvance

alterego:
Forget driving time. What is the minimum break needed in a 15 hour shift? Is it 45 mins?

E.g. Start at 0500 couple of hours driving 15 min break at 1100. Couple more hours driving 30 mins break at 1700 this would reset your drive time. 2 hours drive back to base then 30 mins other work finish at 2000. Is it legal?

Thanks inadvance

A week should do it

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I thought it was 15 mins break before 6 hours then a 30 min break if it was between 6-9 hours could be wrong.If i do a very rear 15 hour i have a minimum of 2x45mins break and an hour of POA i normally know my delays.Why would you want to work for so long with so little break.

Yes, you could do 15 hours between daily rests taking a 15 min and 30 min break, providing your distribution of driving and other work allows that while staying within the regulations.

I don’t want to work 15 hours. It’s hypothetical. I cry at 12 hours theses days.

There’s not much point in creating a 15 hour shift with loads of unnecessary break time,obviously at the expense of daily rest time,if it can possibly be avoided thereby reducing that shift time. :bulb:

Carryfast:
There’s not much point in creating a 15 hour shift with loads of unnecessary break time,obviously at the expense of daily rest time,if it can possibly be avoided thereby reducing that shift time. :bulb:

You think that 45 minutes of break in a 15 hour shift is “loads of unnecessary break time” ?

To be fair most general haulage work is unpredictable regarding tipping and loading times with long waits the norm. Very unlike say supermarket work where you’ll have a set shift and all routes will be known and planned etc. So if your looking for a short hours week probably better staying away from general and obviously tramping.

When I used to go away with my Dad who was a long distance tramper. Yes he would do all his max daily hours and the subsequent reduced rests (not a massive problem when tramping really) but the delays in loading and unloading in general haulage are why its always been a long hours job.

i.e a 15 hour day would be 8 or 9 hours driving yes, but usually once tipped at a couple of delivery points it would be a case of heading to wherever nearby you’d be loading out of and most of the time you’d be waiting and on break for hours for your load. Sometimes waiting several hours to tip the load too.

If you follow a couple of the flatbed vloggers on youtube you’ll see that nowadays its pretty much the same as I remember it on general, they are regularly waiting 2 or 3 hours to get loaded and even tipped at lots of places etc, not the drivers fault but the long hours in this game effectively come from the work still having to get done plus the delays in loading and unloading. Always been the way really.

tachograph:

Carryfast:

You think that 45 minutes of break in a 15 hour shift is “loads of unnecessary break time” ?

The overall ‘shift’ obviously includes all the time spent on breaks.In which case unless the breaks in question are forced for whatever reason,it’s usually better to have more time at home in the form of daily rest time,than less by taking more break time than absolutely needed during a ‘shift’.Especially/at least in the case of job and finish night trunks. :wink:

alterego:

LEGAL :smiley:

alterego:

Thanks inadvance

There must be a reason why your asking this question,other than is it legal.(a) your Boss says he wants you back (b)you have been doing it and and now have doubts (c) you live to work (d) your looking to do it to score brownie points.
Nobody in their right mind would want to work 15 hours with only a 45 min break legal or not

lolipop:
Nobody in their right mind would want to work 15 hours with only a 45 min break legal or not

Got it in one, Nobody… ‘‘In their right mind’’
But how many of you do? :unamused:

Once more i agree with Robs statement…for me a 15 hr day will at least give me 3 breaks of an hour…i dont do 45s..its an hour each time..and i treat the day as if its a drive, so after 4 hrs i stop..and again after another 4 hrs..there are circumstances to suit myself, like if im waiting to tip/load, and the clocks on break, and i have access to food and drink…if not i stop when i`m out of the gate…got told off more than once…was tipping at an rdc and it took 2.5 hrs of waiting around, no facilities except a toilet…so straight up the road for some food…they wanted to know why i had stopped for grub, when i had been parked up for 2.5 hrs…the next time it happened…i phoned the office to ask them to bring me some fish and chips…they hung up on me…ha ha

truckyboy:
Once more i agree with Robs statement…for me a 15 hr day will at least give me 3 breaks of an hour…i dont do 45s..its an hour each time..and i treat the day as if its a drive, so after 4 hrs i stop..and again after another 4 hrs..there are circumstances to suit myself, like if im waiting to tip/load, and the clocks on break, and i have access to food and drink…if not i stop when i`m out of the gate…got told off more than once…was tipping at an rdc and it took 2.5 hrs of waiting around, no facilities except a toilet…so straight up the road for some food…they wanted to know why i had stopped for grub, when i had been parked up for 2.5 hrs…the next time it happened…i phoned the office to ask them to bring me some fish and chips…they hung up on me…ha ha

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.Instead of a 13 hour shift including 1 hour break and 11 hours daily rest you’ve now got 2 hours extra break creating a 15 hour shift and obviously only 9 hours daily rest.Which at the end of the day means trading valuable sleep for needless extra breaks.With the guvnor also probably having the extra unproductive time added to the wage bill which is probably why he’s moaning about it. :confused: While is it any wonder we’ve got trucks running off the road or into things because of knackered drivers in that case.

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.Instead of a 13 hour shift including 1 hour break and 11 hours daily rest you’ve now got 2 hours extra break creating a 15 hour shift and obviously only 9 hours daily rest.Which at the end of the day means trading valuable sleep for needless extra breaks.With the guvnor also probably having the extra unproductive time added to the wage bill which is probably why he’s moaning about it. :confused: While is it any wonder we’ve got trucks running off the road or into things because of knackered drivers in that case.

Why ‘obviously’ only 9 hours rest ?
It’s 9 hours mimimum rest, not compulsory 9 hours.

robroy:

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

Why ‘obviously’ only 9 hours rest ?
It’s 9 hours mimimum rest, not compulsory 9 hours.

A 15 hour shift means 9 hours daily rest within the 24 hours from starting it unless I’ve missed something.While as I said where’s the advantage in extending the shift time to 15 hours by taking 3 hours of breaks rather than a 13 hour shift taking 1 hour break ?.Makes no sense to me. :confused:

No, you make no sense. Whilst a 15 hour day in Tacho regs is classed as a reduced break it doesn’t necessarily follow that you have 9 hours off. I regularly start at 0600, finish at 2100, then start work the next day at 0800. I’ve had 11 hours off in reality.

the maoster:
No, you make no sense. Whilst a 15 hour day in Tacho regs is classed as a reduced break it doesn’t necessarily follow that you have 9 hours off. I regularly start at 0600, finish at 2100, then start work the next day at 0800. I’ve had 11 hours off in reality.

Exactly,… it’s the old limit not target thing.
If I fancy say… 10 off I’ll take 10 off, after the occasional 15 that I do, even 11off if I’m that way out.
It depends if it suits ME or not, …or how nicely I am asked. :smiley:
In other words it’s up to the driver’s discretion …despite what they lead you to believe.

We have them at our place, park up and alarm set for 8.59, they seem to think it’s compulsory and it suits the boss that they are so bloody thick.

the maoster:

Let’s get this right you’re saying that in most cases the guvnor is going to say fine when the driver takes 3 hours break turning a 13 hour shift into a 15 hour one.Then to add insult to injury he’ll also say great when the driver says he’s also going to start two hours later the following day to compensate for the longer shift created by the extra break during the previous shift.What could possibly go wrong. :open_mouth: :laughing:

On that note I obviously did it all wrong on night trunking.When what I should have done was park up for an extra 1.5 hours break each way.Thereby also getting the over time for it then start 3 hours later for the following shift thereby also getting enough sleep.It brings new meaning to the idea of job and finish. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

robroy:
Exactly,… it’s the old limit not target thing.

Trust me as a past master at the idea of extended break time as a council worker realistically it only works if doesn’t also leave you with the same work load as before to get done in the shift.IE the finish time still remains as it would have done if you’d have only taken an hour off instead of an extra 2 ( or more ).Sadly only doable without tachographs etc seeing your every move and not being given a set run/trunk to do in a shift. :smiling_imp: :wink: