146.9p a litre diesel, getting to expensive to go to work

AHT:

kemaro:
I have a diesel car that I bought for the reason of being more econimacal & cheaper to run, its getting to the point where it is getting to expensive to drive to work,living in a rural area where transport links are non existent & jobs are few and far between there’s going to come a time where I can not do the job because I can not afford the running costs of a vehicle , together with increased cost of day tio day living , I won’t get dole because of leaving a place of employment , then I would be made homeless as I could no longer afford the rent! Then where does that leave me , I have just written a lengthy letter to my local MP to highlight this issue and concern , the government say they in are in it with all of us but they have no idea ,I wonder what he will have to say.

Get on ya bike then :smiley:

30 mile trip with some bloody steep hills

My letter to my MP…

Dear Mr Crabb,

I am writing to express my concern at the increasing price rises in fuel, diesel in particular. I live in fishguard and i work in haverfordwest as an hgv driver, everything i do, buy or use is in pembrokeshire. i drive a diesel car and commute to work 5 days a week, with the increase in everything at the moment like food, car insurance ,council tax, utility bills etc and now diesel hitting 146p a litre it is becoming harder to make my money stretch further , i rent a property which is also set to rise as people want more money to pay their increasing bills, i no longer have overtime at work and my hours have been cut to a minium and are only going to get shorter as the company looks at ways to save money themselves as they too are hit by increasing fuel costs.
My concern is this, at some point very soon i am going to be unable to afford to a run a car to get to work, public transport is not an option due to my start ,finish times and the lack of it in this area, jobs as you know in this area are thin on the ground at the best of times, if i have to give up as i can no longer afford to get there i will not be entitled to any help like housing benefit or job seekers, this will then lead to me becoming homeless as i will no longer be able to afford my bills and rent, i cant make any more spending cuts unless i have days where i don’t eat and sit in the freezing cold in the dark at home, something has to be done about the fuel rises, this is having the biggest effect on everybody’s day to day living, the government say they understand what it is like for us the people but really they have no idea, i hope this letter goes some way to highlight the reality of the situation for me and many others living in rural communities, your voice needs to be heard on this issue for me and the people of pembrokeshire asap. I look forward to your reply.

I know how you feel mate, my round trip to work is 130 miles as there is very little work in North Wales. Thank god its only once a week!

I read in todays paper the cost of crude oil has gone up to a record high.All to do with Iran and the missile issues.

limeyphil:

thelorryist:

limeyphil:
it’s not bio, it’s not cherry, and it’s not stolen.

if its not bio, and its not stolen, its red thats been washed surely?

it’s not washed red.

Limeade? :laughing:

Anyway does HMRC still do a 2500 litre exemption on Mazola specials?

Yes, that’s why the price of cookin oil has shot up.
Used to be about £12 for a 20 litre box of KTC when I was buying it from Bookers Now folk are running it in motors it’s nearer £22 for 20 litres.

kemaro:
My letter to my MP…

Dear Mr Crabb,

I am writing to express my concern at the increasing price rises in fuel, diesel in particular. I live in fishguard and i work in haverfordwest as an hgv driver, everything i do, buy or use is in pembrokeshire. i drive a diesel car and commute to work 5 days a week, with the increase in everything at the moment like food, car insurance ,council tax, utility bills etc and now diesel hitting 146p a litre it is becoming harder to make my money stretch further , i rent a property which is also set to rise as people want more money to pay their increasing bills, i no longer have overtime at work and my hours have been cut to a minium and are only going to get shorter as the company looks at ways to save money themselves as they too are hit by increasing fuel costs.
My concern is this, at some point very soon i am going to be unable to afford to a run a car to get to work, public transport is not an option due to my start ,finish times and the lack of it in this area, jobs as you know in this area are thin on the ground at the best of times, if i have to give up as i can no longer afford to get there i will not be entitled to any help like housing benefit or job seekers, this will then lead to me becoming homeless as i will no longer be able to afford my bills and rent, i cant make any more spending cuts unless i have days where i don’t eat and sit in the freezing cold in the dark at home, something has to be done about the fuel rises, this is having the biggest effect on everybody’s day to day living, the government say they understand what it is like for us the people but really they have no idea, i hope this letter goes some way to highlight the reality of the situation for me and many others living in rural communities, your voice needs to be heard on this issue for me and the people of pembrokeshire asap. I look forward to your reply.

Dear Mr Kemaro,
Thank you for your recent letter which you forwarded to myself regarding the increased price of fuel.
After lengthy discussions within the correct governmental divisions, please see below for our official response to your letter.

“WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT AND THEREFORE ENJOY SCREWING OVER JOB PUBLIC LIKE YOURSELVES”.

I do hope that this letter has helped to dispel your previous concerns.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Yours unfaithfully

Somebody who isnt me

The spiralling cost of electricity and gas is another issue that adds to the hardships we all face. The power companies make hundreds of millions in profit on what is not a luxury, but a necessity of life. No electric or gas = freeze to death for most people. IMHO anything that is necessary for life (electric, gas, water) should not be sold on a profit-making basis.

The issue is not really the high cost of diesel in itself, its how the high cost of diesel leads to increase costs for every other single thing you buy!

BanburyDan:
The spiralling cost of electricity and gas is another issue that adds to the hardships we all face. The power companies make hundreds of millions in profit on what is not a luxury, but a necessity of life. No electric or gas = freeze to death for most people. IMHO anything that is necessary for life (electric, gas, water) should not be sold on a profit-making basis.

The issue is not really the high cost of diesel in itself, its how the high cost of diesel leads to increase costs for every other single thing you buy!

Leccy and gas meters are easy to bypass :wink: car fuel tanks are not so :frowning:

I didn’t understand then, (too young to understand), but I do now (well think so :blush: )…

I would think THATCHER started it, showed them how to do it! :imp:

Privatise everything - make them profit driven (greed).

Shut down all ‘heavy’ industries, the pits - steel etc and the links in them chains will follow…

Whichever government is in, they’re as bad as each other, they’re just destroying this country in their own little way!

We’re just paying for them to do it! :cry:

BanburyDan:

The issue isn’t the ‘cost’ of road fuel at all it’s the zb tax that’s the problem.All because the tory commie zb’s don’t want to pay their fair share by raising income tax for high earners they put it on road fuel instead all paid at the same rate and to keep their big business rail freight friends happy by making sure that road transport can’t compete on a level playing field. :imp:

Carryfast:

BanburyDan:

The issue isn’t the ‘cost’ of road fuel at all it’s the zb tax that’s the problem.All because the tory commie zb’s don’t want to pay their fair share by raising income tax for high earners they put it on road fuel instead all paid at the same rate and to keep their big business rail freight friends happy by making sure that road transport can’t compete on a level playing field. :imp:

Tories? don’t forget Labour

Goldfinger:
I didn’t understand then, (too young to understand), but I do now (well think so :blush: )…

I would think THATCHER started it, showed them how to do it! :imp:

Privatise everything - make them profit driven (greed).

Shut down all ‘heavy’ industries, the pits - steel etc and the links in them chains will follow…

Whichever government is in, they’re as bad as each other, they’re just destroying this country in their own little way!

We’re just paying for them to do it! :cry:

It’s foreign business interests that are gaining from it all.Which just leaves the question why would the British politicians want to help them get rich :question: . :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

bubsy06:

Carryfast:

BanburyDan:

Tories? don’t forget Labour

They are all one and the same.

Yeah, on top of the £650 fines to get the car back, but not if you forfeit the car.
Hence the amount of gnarly old Irish tractor units parked in the customs yard at Immingham :smiley:
[/quote]

Is that the compound on the left as you come out past security ? If it is I’ve always wondered what that were…

kemaro:
I have a diesel car that I bought for the reason of being more econimacal & cheaper to run, its getting to the point where it is getting to expensive to drive to work,living in a rural area where transport links are non existent & jobs are few and far between there’s going to come a time where I can not do the job because I can not afford the running costs of a vehicle , together with increased cost of day tio day living , I won’t get dole because of leaving a place of employment , then I would be made homeless as I could no longer afford the rent! Then where does that leave me , I have just written a lengthy letter to my local MP to highlight this issue and concern , the government say they in are in it with all of us but they have no idea ,I wonder what he will have to say.

Buy a motorbike, or a 125cc scooter. I sold my 2001 Ford Focus which cost me £30 a week in fuel to get to work, now it cost me £6.50p every 2 weeks on my 125cc scooter that can do 120 miles to the tank. It also cost’s me £16 for a years tax and £30 a month to insure fully comp. It is worth it in the long run, and yes i have been out in all weathers on it, even the snow!.

The thing does 65mph, so it is fast enough for the roads. The scooter in question is a Honda PCX 125cc, cracking little thing, best thing i ever did as i was running two cars at the time

mickyblue:

:laughing:

£30 a month? Robbing b’stards! I used to pay 90 quid in 2007 to insure a 250cc Honda motorcycle.

limeyphil

limeyphil:
there is an alternative.
you could buy it from me for £1.05. it’s not bio, it’s not cherry, and it’s not stolen.
cash only.

Are you going to show me your latrine by any chance?
If “Where’s there’s muck, there’s brass” - you wait and see what I like to tender for “cash”!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Let the managers all use their own cars getting the pallets to the shops. £15+ an hour would be worth it when paid by a manager delegating that job off to a trucker, so things might go full circle if enough diesel traffic leaves the roads.

No sign of it happening anytime soon though… :frowning:

hmrc.gov.uk/budget2011/tiin6330.pdf

fairfueluk.com/quentins_blog … sury-makes

Parliament being lobbied 7th March:

fairfueluk.com/