146.9p a litre diesel, getting to expensive to go to work

I have a diesel car that I bought for the reason of being more econimacal & cheaper to run, its getting to the point where it is getting to expensive to drive to work,living in a rural area where transport links are non existent & jobs are few and far between there’s going to come a time where I can not do the job because I can not afford the running costs of a vehicle , together with increased cost of day tio day living , I won’t get dole because of leaving a place of employment , then I would be made homeless as I could no longer afford the rent! Then where does that leave me , I have just written a lengthy letter to my local MP to highlight this issue and concern , the government say they in are in it with all of us but they have no idea ,I wonder what he will have to say.

just run it on red for as long as you can. when you get caught, the fine will probably be less than what you would pay out in diesel costs…

on a serious note though, its about time we all came together and brought the country to a standstill again.

Been waiting for that day someone would post… ‘Too expensive to even go to work…’ :cry:

What next… £150.9 by easter? Then we, (or the whole industry more like) will be ■■■■■■■

Goldfinger:
Been waiting for that day someone would post… ‘Too expensive to even go to work…’ :cry:

What next… £150.9 by easter? Then we, (or the whole industry more like) will be [zb]!

well, if as somebody suggested on the suns website, there are 31 million vehicles in use on UK roads at the moment, so… if only a minor percentage of these users were willing to protest (few hundred thousand…) then the govt would have to start listening

Fuel tax is only going one way, millions of scroungers and other assorted wasters to be kept, millions of non jobs created over the last 25 years still to be paid, millions of immigrants legal or not to be provided for now and when they retire even if they’ve paid sod all into the system…ditto the NHS, olympics to pay for, MP’s and assorted hangers on’s golden handshakes and index linked pensions etc, not a hope in hell of fuel taxes being cut, ever.

For the next few years the best alternative is buy a LPG converted car, i’m still paying 66ppl by buying from an independent gas supplier.

Diesel is no longer the obvious choice it once was, not only the cost of fuel but the increased complexity and declining reliability of the vehicles.

When LPG gets taxed too highly i’ll buy a Prius Plug In, bit later we’ll have road pricing via satellite anyway and only those equals who are slightly more equal will have permission (or can afford) to travel, comrade.

It’s going to happen, in this area they’re trying to increase council tax by 25% , my car insurance is going up, food bills are up , energy bills are up , diesel in the local fore court is 146.9 p a litre, ( :angry: :open_mouth: Vosa & hm customs were down the by the port of fishguard today pulling and dipping diesel tanks) …overtime is no more in work & hours have been cut to a bare minimum, I earn to much to get tax credits , not by a great deal mind but not enough to live comfortable & save , every week is a struggle , I’m thinking of asking if I can do a 4 day week so I get tax credits …

there is an alternative.
you could buy it from me for £1.05. it’s not bio, it’s not cherry, and it’s not stolen.
cash only.

A few 100k protesters isnt going to make a shred of difference. What will make a difference is the price point at which the general public start to think “im not taking the car, its too expensive”. At that point there will be a shift in driving behaviour and a drop in useage. There are bigger concerns though, not least Iran. That could be a whole new ‘cold war’, pushing prices ever higher!

If you cant afford 146.9p a litre then your in the wrong job

Bring on the protests, I’ll be there.

I can run my disco on bio at £1.05 a litre but the nearest place that sells it is 30 miles away.

thelorryist:
just run it on red for as long as you can. when you get caught, the fine will probably be less than what you would pay out in diesel costs…

If caught, £250 for having the diesel in the tank, £250 formusing it on the road and £150 for the recovery of the vehicle. Then you get 24 hours to drain the tank.

OR… forfeit the vehicle, they’ll take it and distroy it.

So if you could find an old diesel form £3-400 quid (bear in mind light scrap is £215 a ton at the minute, most cars are worth £300 as scrap), it might be worth it.

BanburyDan:
Bring on the protests, I’ll be there.

x2

dominicpriestley:
A few 100k protesters isnt going to make a shred of difference. What will make a difference is the price point at which the general public start to think “im not taking the car, its too expensive”. At that point there will be a shift in driving behaviour and a drop in useage. There are bigger concerns though, not least Iran. That could be a whole new ‘cold war’, pushing prices ever higher!

A lot of people are already at that point!

cieranc:

thelorryist:

If caught, £250 for having the diesel in the tank, £250 formusing it on the road and £150 for the recovery of the vehicle. Then you get 24 hours to drain the tank.

OR… forfeit the vehicle, they’ll take it and distroy it.

So if you could find an old diesel form £3-400 quid (bear in mind light scrap is £215 a ton at the minute, most cars are worth £300 as scrap), it might be worth it.

Don’t they also fine you for lost revenue based on the estimated times you have been doing it for?

limeyphil:
there is an alternative.
you could buy it from me for £1.05. it’s not bio, it’s not cherry, and it’s not stolen.
cash only.

if its not bio, and its not stolen, its red thats been washed surely?

can you supply me a vat receipt with it lol, my boss will have 50k litres off you this week…

thelorryist:

limeyphil:
there is an alternative.
cash only.

if its not bio, and its not stolen, its red thats been washed surely?

can you supply me a vat receipt with it lol, my boss will have 50k litres off you this week…

it’s not washed red.
VAT receipt? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i’ll give him a rizla. :laughing:

kemaro:
I have a diesel car that I bought for the reason of being more econimacal & cheaper to run, its getting to the point where it is getting to expensive to drive to work,living in a rural area where transport links are non existent & jobs are few and far between there’s going to come a time where I can not do the job because I can not afford the running costs of a vehicle , together with increased cost of day tio day living , I won’t get dole because of leaving a place of employment , then I would be made homeless as I could no longer afford the rent! Then where does that leave me , I have just written a lengthy letter to my local MP to highlight this issue and concern , the government say they in are in it with all of us but they have no idea ,I wonder what he will have to say.

Get on ya bike then :smiley:

skids:
Don’t they also fine you for lost revenue based on the estimated times you have been doing it for?

Yeah, on top of the £650 fines to get the car back, but not if you forfeit the car.
Hence the amount of gnarly old Irish tractor units parked in the customs yard at Immingham :smiley:

bubsy06:
If you cant afford 146.9p a litre then your in the wrong job

I know mate but what can you do when there are very few jobs and theyre squezzing the wages down all the time…