12v sockets

Was out in a MAN last week. Went to plug my phone charger into the socket and noticed there were two - one white and one black both marked 12v. (ciggy lighter did not work) Plugged into the white one and my charger started smoking badly. Pulled it out and it was red hot. Doesn’t work any more, but they are fairly common and I had another at home from an earlier phone. Never did get to check the black socket as I was on another job afterwards.
These two sockets were low down on the left side of the console.
Is there a difference in the output of these two sockets? Couldn’t find a manual in the cab.

Probably same as Scania

1 x 12v and 1 x 24v

but they are normally Hella Sockets

the only accurate way to tell the voltage is with a voltmeter :wink:

sounds like someone had rewired that one and it was 24 volts -

I used to use my little baby voltage dropper as a tester. If the charger in it lit up correctly, that made it a 24v socket, if it didn’t, it was a 12v socket.

When I was on the Road doing Agency work I always carried a little black box I knocked up myself with bits from Maplins costing no more than a couple of quid,

Small plastic case around the size of a matchbox

1 x 24 volt Les bulb & holder

1 x hella plug with 8 inches of wire

Put them together and you’ve got a handy little tester,

If the light was bright 24v

If dull it was 12v

saved many a TV repair :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the mans we have, have these plugs black one is 24 v white one is 12 v maybe some ones been messing with your one and never let on :imp:

Why on earthe aren’t they labelled, or made slightly differnetly like with PC cabling! It doesn’t take a genius to do that - this saves any confusion and damage!

At least the MAN puts the 12v supply on a ciggarette lighter socket. Renaults use those hella sockets for 12v supply, smashed my plug 1st week back this year took hell of a job to find some where that sells them, couldnt charge phone or watch telly. But if anyone needs one that bloke in the cabin in that truckstop just off j13 M1 sells them.

Volvo 12 volt supply is also a normal lighter socket and clearly marked, 12 volts and max.10 amps, best not to be plugging any kettles into it though because the dash is liable to heat up quicker than the water. If you are quick you could do some toast on the flames though. :wink: :smiley:

Over on this side of the ocean, we only use 12v.

We know! and it’s a bloody pain in the arse!

I always charge my phone up in the 24v socket and there is never a problem. :open_mouth:

Always have done as well :laughing: :wink:

Every phone charger I’ve ever used has been dual voltage, 12/24.

All the phone chargers are dual voltage as far as I know although I plugged my phone into a 110 volt shaver socket and it actually drained the battery.

You can also get a voltage tester for about a quid from any truckstop or supermarket

Coffeeholic:
Every phone charger I’ve ever used has been dual voltage, 12/24.

ditto every phone charger I’ve used has been dual voltage.

Neil does the radio consul (heater controls/diff lock/cab lock etc) still get hot on the new shape FH.

The volvo I’ve currently got has melted the backlight bulb holder for the heater controls apparently it is a common problem.

I drive an M.A.N
The ciggie lighter socket is 24v
The white socket is 12v and the black socket is 24v :wink: :wink:

I agree, every phone charger is dual voltage. However, remove charger before starting engine as there will be a surge of up to 32 amps which will most definately blow your charger :exclamation:

bikemonkey:
I drive an M.A.N
The ciggie lighter socket is 24v
The white socket is 12v and the black socket is 24v :wink: :wink:

ditto with the ERF`s we run, and they are clearly marked for max amps too

north surrey haulage:
Neil does the radio consul (heater controls/diff lock/cab lock etc) still get hot on the new shape FH.

The volvo I’ve currently got has melted the backlight bulb holder for the heater controls apparently it is a common problem.

Not as hot as the old one, I had the melted bulb holder thing on both my last two but this one has been alright.

Every phone charger is dual voltage ■■?

I Had a one Melt in a Scania when plugged into the Cig Lighter, so not all chargers are 12v / 24v
:blush: :blush: :blush: