12v socket help

The socket in the passenger foot well of my MAN TGX has suddenly stopped working. I thought there may have been a circuit breaker to reset it but no.

The 24v one is still working.

Anyone have any ideas?

Well, it’s either the accessory that you are using that has blown or, if nothing works, it has either popped a fuse or breaker. Failing this, it must be a supply problem and I’d suspect the wiring/connections at the back of the socket. Sometimes the constant push/pull action of using the socket can pull things loose.

Only remedy is to check things systematically…

Or get a mech to do it for you. :slight_smile:

Do you know which fuse it is or the symbol? As I say, there is no circuit breaker.

redbob:
Do you know which fuse it is or the symbol? As I say, there is no circuit breaker.

I don’t TBH. However, there may well be a fuse diagram somewhere - should be in the handbook. Sometimes the fuses are all numbered and you can find it quicker from that. Has anything else failed?

Normally a 12v socket has a 10a fuse but, this is not cast iron. I’d start with the 10a though if you can’t locate exactly which one. One of the MAN lads on here will know which fuse it is I’m sure. :wink:

The symbol is 12V in a square box

waynedl:

That one isn’t there mate, I’ve tried taking a photo

redbob:

waynedl:

Fuse numb 10 looks like it could be a ■■■ lighter-sorry 12v accessory socket(!) -and it’s 10a. I’d check this first… :wink:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Fuse numb 10 looks like it could be a ■■■ lighter-sorry 12v accessory socket(!) -and it’s 10a. I’d check this first… :wink:

Can’t be that either as the accessory socket :smiley: is working

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Have you checked it?

Truckulent:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Have you checked it?

Yes, its fine.

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Have you checked it?

Yes, its fine.

He means the fuse not the accessory socket.

I agree, that looks to be the most obvious, most 24v sockets are 15amp I think, they usually say it on them

waynedl:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Have you checked it?

Yes, its fine.

I agree, that looks to be the most obvious, most 24v sockets are 15amp I think, they usually say it on them

Yes, I’ve checked the fuse and its fine

redbob:

waynedl:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

Truckulent:

redbob:

waynedl:

Have you checked it?

Yes, its fine.

Yes, I’ve checked the fuse and its fine

I can’t see any obvious sign then, so maybe just check all the 10a fuses?

Have you tried isolating the truck for 5 mins, something might have triggered a cut off on the dropper?

Oh, just a quick thought, you are trying to use it with the ignition ON aren’t you?

The ignition doesn’t have to be on mate, its permanently live.

Have you checked the lead you are plugging in to it. A fuse could have blown in that.

redbob:
The ignition doesn’t have to be on mate, its permanently live.

Ok, some have to be on for the 12v to work, because it runs through a dropper, so they run it through the ignition, I wasn’t sure on MAN’s, been a long time since I drove 1 long enough to care if the 12v worked (ie to plug my lappy in).
My DAF when I was at Turners needed the ignition for the 12v.

fingermissing:
Have you checked the lead you are plugging in to it. A fuse could have blown in that.

yeah checked that first :cry:

redbob:

fingermissing:

yeah checked that first :cry:

Sounds like you’re ■■■■■■ then. :laughing:

redbob:

waynedl:

red bob, the ones you need to check are, look at your picture, there is a small bank of fuses to the left. at the bottom of the pic.
its the centre one on the right side of that bank of fuses, looks like a number '8. hope this helps.

its either fuse number 212 (looks like an unpside down fork )or fuse 214 (a figure8)
1 is 12volt the other is 24volt i dont know which is which