10% plus 2mph

I’ve heard a few times that there is an allowance of 10% plus 2 mph over the posted speed limit before the police will prosecute.
That means that the real UK speed limits are;

30 = 35
40 = 46
50 = 57
60 = 68
70 = 79

Is there any truth in this or is it an urban myth ?
If it’s true then you could get away with running on the limiter on dual carriageways without fear of speed cameras, which is why I think it’s a myth.

What’s the lowest speed over the limit that anyone has been prosecuted for ?

AFAIK the 10% +2 is a police guideline figure and not legally binding.

my daughter has just recieved notification that she will be prosecuted for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone.i think that answers your question.

Warrior:
my daughter has just recieved notification that she will be prosecuted for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone.i think that answers your question.

What method was you Daughter caught by, Camera or Copper.
There are ACPO guideline that allow 10% plus 2mph, I think this is for camera setting, but they are only guidelines.

I got nip’d last month for 41 in a 30 coming out the roadworks on the A500 in stoke :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still im not to worried as my boss has said he’s gonna pay for the £60 for me :sunglasses: Couldnt persuade him to take points though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

best bet is just don’t speed. It’s better to be within the speed limit than at home with no licence!

Just wish I could manage it :blush: I do try though

All the police forces have different tolerance limits. There is no hard and fast ruling to it.

I was fined for 43mph on the A35 (exceeding the limit for class of vehicle). So definately no allowance there, this was 4 years ago.

i do believe that regional forces set their own levels as regards what they prosecute at, south yorks is 10%+2mph over the limit but get flashed by a speed camera at 44 in a 40 and you can gaurantee it will come back saying you were doing 47!

muckles:

Warrior:

What method was you Daughter caught by, Camera or Copper.
There are ACPO guideline that allow 10% plus 2mph, I think this is for camera setting, but they are only guidelines.

copper holding a camera.

MilitantGraham:
I’ve heard a few times that there is an allowance of 10% plus 2 mph over the posted speed limit before the police will prosecute.
That means that the real UK speed limits are;

30 = 35
40 = 46
50 = 57
60 = 68
70 = 79

Is there any truth in this or is it an urban myth ?
If it’s true then you could get away with running on the limiter on dual carriageways without fear of speed cameras, which is why I think it’s a myth.

What’s the lowest speed over the limit that anyone has been prosecuted for ?

The speed limits are 30,40,50,60,70. The Police forces can exercise discretion and 10%+1MPH is the average “discretion” applied. HOWEVER it bears NO LEGAL STANDING whatsoever if it goes to court.

Conor:
The speed limits are 30,40,50,60,70. The Police forces can exercise discretion and 10%+1MPH is the average “discretion” applied. HOWEVER it bears NO LEGAL STANDING whatsoever if it goes to court.

I would say that you’re spot on there Connor, except I understand that the normal discretion applied is 10% + 2mph.
Also, the discetion is intended for private vehicles, not LGVs. Because cars etc don’t have there speedo’s calibrated as LGV tachos are, so they aren’t as accurate as ours should be.

Warrior:
copper holding a camera.

A few points to think about by way of defence…………….

The signal (camera/radar) can be reflected by stationary objects such as road signs or advertising hoardings……….as a safeguard, police officers operating these devices are instructed to pick sites which have a clear view of traffic, and are away from any large objects as described, which are close to the equipment………….radio interference is another consideration the operator must take. The presence of high voltage overhead lines, transmitting masts, and high power radar transmitters should be noted, and those locations avoided………….

Apart from finding a suitable location, the operator is expected to follow certain techniques to ensure correct readings are recorded on the equipment:

1. It must be operated by an officer on foot, not from a vehicle. There may have been some recent changes to this rule.

2. It must only be used when one vehicle is isolated in the field of view of the device.

3. Should there be more than one vehicle in the field of view, the check should be aborted.

4. An operator must not measure and make detections for prosecution when more than one vehicle is within detection range.

5. The equipment is not to be pointed along the road, randomly waiting for a vehicle to appear. The device is intended to corroborate the prior opinion formed by an officer as to the speed of an approaching vehicle.

6. When a speed is indicated on the display it must be held towards the approaching vehicle for at least three seconds.

7. It follows from the previous point therefore that the distance the operator can see along a road must amount to sufficient to cover:
    a) Initial observation of the vehicle and assessment of its speed.
    b) The distance the vehicle travels during its three second check.
    c) The stopping distance when signalled to stop.
    In the case of a vehicle travelling at 45 mph the total distance will be 104.8 metres (b+c) plus the distance travelled during the initial observation period (a) which could be another three seconds, making a total of 165.1 metres.

Calibration.

The equipment must be calibrated every year and a certificate issued. A sticker will also be attached to the device.

Additionally, it must be checked against a police car fitted with a calibrated speedometer prior to commencement of any period of use for enforcement. The way this is done is for the police car to be checked on the measured mile……………

The speed check will be compatible with the speeds reasonably expected at the location where it is intended to use the equipment. The police car is driven towards the operator at a predetermined speed — say 30 mph - and the speed checked on the equipment.

Two officers are required to carry out this check — one to drive the car, the other to operate the device. The calibration check must be recorded in the officers’ notebooks. There are many occasions when two officers are not available and the check is not carried out.

In the event of any of the above operating requirements not being met, a case could be argued before magistrates that your speed has been misread. Introduce doubt regarding the manner in which your speed was recorded, and the decision could easily be in your favour.

To be honest Warrior, at only 2 mph over the limit, and taking into account the above, let alone the argument of factory fitted (i.e. not calibrated) mass-produced car speedo’s, in your daughters position i’d be tempted to contest it in front of the magistrates.

If you want this for future reference, print it off as I can’t face typing it again!! :wink: :wink:

Warrior:

I think your daughter should risk taking it to court , no two car speedometers will read the same , a gun could have both cars showing 30mph but both cars will show different indicated speeds …Being nip’d for 2mph over the limit is piddle take

SimonRS2K:
I got nip’d last month for 41 in a 30 coming out the roadworks on the A500 in stoke :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still im not to worried as my boss has said he’s gonna pay for the £60 for me :sunglasses: Couldnt persuade him to take points though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

why are you not worried :question: i would be. what about your insurance going up

The Safety Camera website states that fixed camera’s are set at 10%+2. It does not say anything about mobile devices or hand helds. As others have stated I believe its at police discretion.

DGW131:

SimonRS2K:

simon

why are you not worried :question: i would be. what about your insurance going up

I dont have a car anymore (well i do but i took it to bits in a mad drunken moment and im [zb]ed if i can put it back together again) So no insurance required :blush: :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Warrior:

thats harsh…obviously caught by a “jobs worth”

marcustandy:

Warrior:
copper holding a camera.

A few points to think about by way of defence…………….

The signal (camera/radar) can be reflected by stationary objects such as road signs or advertising hoardings……….as a safeguard, police officers operating these devices are instructed to pick sites which have a clear view of traffic, and are away from any large objects as described, which are close to the equipment………….radio interference is another consideration the operator must take. The presence of high voltage overhead lines, transmitting masts, and high power radar transmitters should be noted, and those locations avoided………….

Apart from finding a suitable location, the operator is expected to follow certain techniques to ensure correct readings are recorded on the equipment:

1. It must be operated by an officer on foot, not from a vehicle. There may have been some recent changes to this rule.

2. It must only be used when one vehicle is isolated in the field of view of the device.

3. Should there be more than one vehicle in the field of view, the check should be aborted.

4. An operator must not measure and make detections for prosecution when more than one vehicle is within detection range.

5. The equipment is not to be pointed along the road, randomly waiting for a vehicle to appear. The device is intended to corroborate the prior opinion formed by an officer as to the speed of an approaching vehicle.

6. When a speed is indicated on the display it must be held towards the approaching vehicle for at least three seconds.

7. It follows from the previous point therefore that the distance the operator can see along a road must amount to sufficient to cover:
    a) Initial observation of the vehicle and assessment of its speed.
    b) The distance the vehicle travels during its three second check.
    c) The stopping distance when signalled to stop.
    In the case of a vehicle travelling at 45 mph the total distance will be 104.8 metres (b+c) plus the distance travelled during the initial observation period (a) which could be another three seconds, making a total of 165.1 metres.

Calibration.

The equipment must be calibrated every year and a certificate issued. A sticker will also be attached to the device.

Additionally, it must be checked against a police car fitted with a calibrated speedometer prior to commencement of any period of use for enforcement. The way this is done is for the police car to be checked on the measured mile……………

The speed check will be compatible with the speeds reasonably expected at the location where it is intended to use the equipment. The police car is driven towards the operator at a predetermined speed — say 30 mph - and the speed checked on the equipment.

Two officers are required to carry out this check — one to drive the car, the other to operate the device. The calibration check must be recorded in the officers’ notebooks. There are many occasions when two officers are not available and the check is not carried out.

In the event of any of the above operating requirements not being met, a case could be argued before magistrates that your speed has been misread. Introduce doubt regarding the manner in which your speed was recorded, and the decision could easily be in your favour.

To be honest Warrior, at only 2 mph over the limit, and taking into account the above, let alone the argument of factory fitted (i.e. not calibrated) mass-produced car speedo’s, in your daughters position i’d be tempted to contest it in front of the magistrates.

If you want this for future reference, print it off as I can’t face typing it again!! :wink: :wink:

cheers my friend,i have printed it off and will advise her to contest.needless to say she was done in nottinghamshire,enough said.

paul@midway:
I think your daughter should risk taking it to court , no two car speedometers will read the same , a gun could have both cars showing 30mph but both cars will show different indicated speeds …Being nip’d for 2mph over the limit is piddle take

Only one problem though…

A car speedo can OVER READ by up to 10% but can’t UNDER READ. So at 32MPH the speedo can legally be showing anything up to 35MPH. This is one of the things that gets my goat when you hear people complaining about being caught in a 40 lmit. For a start, there’s a good chance they wonp;t be considered unless doing 46MPH which, taking into account speedo inaccuracies, could mean their speedo was reading over 50MPH. To me that’s blatant deliberate speeding.