1 pallet from Gateshead to York

Sister has a small business in Gateshead, making special needs products, and she has just been asked to quote for an order worth about £12k on her retail prices for the NHS in York.

All the items are custom made by hand, as can be seen in my signature, and to date this is the biggest order she has been asked to quote on. Naturally cost of the entire package will be a factor in whether she gets the order or not, and transport costs form part of that.

Now the easiest and probably cheapest way to get it from A to B, would be via one of the pallet networks. As the pallet will weigh around 1 tonne, and will probably be a tail lift job, does anyone have a ball park figure what the cost would be?

Ken.

Top of my head around £40 + vat for a standard pallet on a standard service. Price varies if you want next day/timed delivery etc. In that area I always use Nicholsons Transport from Billingham. If you need or want contact details I’ll be happy to provide them for you.

Cheers for that, although I know that Palletforce and Simpson Bros are not that far away in Birtley, but I think she’ll do her own ringing around nearer the despatch time, but I wanted to give her an idea.

Any more?

Ken.

Just as an addition…

Is there a max weight/height on a pallet?

The reason I ask, is because we don’t know whether it will be one pallet or two, and how high it/they will be.

Ken.

Quinny:
Just as an addition…

The reason I ask, is because we don’t know whether it will be one pallet or two, and how high it/they will be.

Ken.

A chep is good for 1t easy. I’ve had a load that was 1.2t per chep. Forklift trucks can lift that no bother but think of the poor sod that has to pump truck it off the back of his truck lol. Also some tail lifts can only take 1t Max

Quinny:
Just as an addition…

Ken.

With Palletforce the dimensions of a normal pallet 1.5mtrs high 1ton maximum, anything over this size is classed as oversize, I think it’s around £30-£40 per pallet on a standard service obviously depending how pallets you are sending.

Can get you definite dimensions but I think they are around above.

Just the info I need.

I take it that’s for a standard curtainside collection/delivery, and that a tailift service at either end will be extra, as there are no forklifts?

Ken.

I dont think it would be possible to get a 1 tonne pallet on a tail lift by using a pumper truck. Certainly not safely.

Just come off the phone with Sis, and it now looks like it will be max 750kg.

Ken.

Just a quick point Quinny, but one worth bearing in mind. The vast majority of pallet networks operate a “kerbside” delivery service. By that I mean if it needs taking into a private address or up stairs etc you’re on your own.

Secretelephant:
I dont think it would be possible to get a 1 tonne pallet on a tail lift by using a pumper truck.

Oh believe me, it is :imp:

Quinny:
for the NHS in York.

Unlikely to be a private address with a £12k order!!! (Check the website link below.)

Ken.

Quinny:

Quinny:
for the NHS in York.

Unlikely to be a private address with a £12k order!!! (Check the website link below.)

Ken.

Oh I dunno, a guy who owns the house opposite me regularly has deliveries late at night worth well over £100k. :smiley:

Secretelephant:
I dont think it would be possible to get a 1 tonne pallet on a tail lift by using a pumper truck.

You’ve never done any pallet network driving then :wink: A lot of the pallets are near enough a ton and you’re still expected to lug them on and off the wagon with a pump truck.

Personally I see it as only a matter of time before the H&S Nazis put an end to it as I agree it isn’t really very safe. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a few years all the pallet networks use wagons with moffetts on them for the heavier stuff.

Paul

Secretelephant:
I dont think it would be possible to get a 1 tonne pallet on a tail lift by using a pumper truck. Certainly not safely.

If I give you my bosses number you phone him and tell him.
I am on Palletforce and it happens daily.

We do private addresses as well.

Ben9:

Secretelephant:

ayep sounds about right. and to rub salt in the wounds, I had a truck with a shorter than normal tail lift that made it a right ■■■■ getting the heavier ones off which always resulted in either the pallet nearly toppling or it getting stuck half way off. Happy days :unamused:

the maoster:

Quinny:

Quinny:
for the NHS in York.

Ken.

Oh I dunno, a guy who owns the house opposite me regularly has deliveries late at night worth well over £100k. :smiley:

you sure that an’t drugs lol

Ken, I can point you in the direction of a very good Courier Company if dedicated (ie taken care of) deliveries may be necessary :wink:

Part loads , dedicated deliveries etc from Gateshead to all of UK and Europe , just send me a pm .

Ben9:

Secretelephant:

Trick is to run the truck straight off the end of the tail lift - it stops when the wheels go over.