1 month notice period

Is it possible to leave a job without working your notice in full? Are there any ramifications?

Thinking of going for a new job, it’s for a small outfit no trackers or speeding monitors and all that crap and the pay is excellent, but they want an immediate start. Really want to go for it but at the same time I have always worked my notice as it’s the decent thing to do, however don’t want to miss a good opportunity.

How does new job pay ? weekly or monthly ?
If weekly then say goodbye and go

Technically they could pursue you for reasonable losses (e.g. the extra cost of employing an agency driver) but it is unlikely in the extreme that an employer would do this.

You aren’t playing cricket at Eton here, if your current employer is not to your satisfaction and you have a better chance elsewhere, then don’t lose it because you want to “do the decent thing”, you can bet your bottom dollar they would get rid of you in a heartbeat if they could find a Romanian to do your job cheaper.

Harry Monk:
Technically they could pursue you for reasonable losses (e.g. the extra cost of employing an agency driver) but it is unlikely in the extreme that an employer would do this.

You aren’t playing cricket at Eton here, if your current employer is not to your satisfaction and you have a better chance elsewhere, then don’t lose it because you want to “do the decent thing”, you can bet your bottom dollar they would get rid of you in a heartbeat if they could find a Romanian to do your job cheaper.

You said what i thought :wink: :grimacing:

What about getting my p45?

Tris:

They leagaly have to give you it , if they don’t phone tax man
Also make sure new employer gets you to fill out P46 to say thats your only job :wink:

I’d personally look into some sort of ‘history’ with this new employer… is it an additional role due to expansion or has another driver left? Do they have a high turnover of staff? Have you googled the company to see if there is any derogatory news regarding being fined etc. for various things.

Reason I mention this, is it’s all very well moving onwards and upwards but be careful about possibly burning bridges with employers - you sometimes never know when you might be at a point you need a job and they are advertising.

Say ugent personal matter has come up can you take holiday give it a week an say cicumstances have changed you cant come back in.

I just left a company where I was meant to give a months notice I gave them 2 weeks what are they going to do sack you?

Baldy91:
I just left a company where I was meant to give a months notice I gave them 2 weeks what are they going to do sack you?

I heard a similar anecdote from a soldier who briefly went AWOL shortly before getting out. “What are they going to do, kick me out? Hahaha!”. So they kept him in.

:laughing:

Give your notice in then talk to the company you are leaving ,never burn bridges

Baldy91:

I did exactly that. It does not take a month to replace a lorry driver. It wasn’t uncommon for plant operators and groundworkers to just jack by not turning up the next day.

I’d have to agree about burning bridges - you might need them for a reference later on, especially if this new company doesn’t work out. Do remember that the new company can basically get rid of you without much regard for anything until the 2 years are up and leave you in the lurch. Plus companies do talk and if you walk out on one, you could potentially get a reputation locally for doing so.

Bit suspicious as to why the new company can’t wait as surely they got notice from their previous employee if someone has left and if not then there might be a reason they left in a hurry. If all else failed I’m sure they could use agency for a week or two.

They can’t demand you give a full months notice and hold you to it, but a week at least if desireable.

I think as Harry points out above they could technically pursue you for reasonable losses, so don’t just ‘not turn up’ give them at least a few days to get someone to fill your seat then their losses are unlikely to be high enough to be worth pursuing. Even more unlikely they could take a court injunction out to stop you working for a competitor.

I would have thought your bigger risk could come from the new job not working out (the grass is not always as green as it looks), then really struggling to find references if you then need to look for another job.

good luck

Just have a chat with your current employer and mutually sort something out. Most employers in my experience aren’t ones for rigidly enforcing notice periods.

Thanks for the replies. Don’t want to burn bridges if I can help it.

Tris:

And any holiday pay owed.

I did similar 3months ago:
Last employer decided after I’d been there for 2months to impose on me a “lying week”!!!
Told them to shove it up their arse as breach of employment law and promptly cleared truck on a Fri back out on boat for Sawyers on the Sun night!!! [emoji41]

Now have Industrial Tribunal ref number as they have withheld 2weeks wages plus holiday pay for not working my ONE weeks notice!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I was always led to believe (back in my management days) that it was illegal to provide a bad reference for someone unless they had been dismissed for gross misconduct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:
I was always led to believe (back in my management days) that it was illegal to provide a bad reference for someone unless they had been dismissed for gross misconduct.

Nah, they just refused to give me one! :smiley: