1 month notice period

But they are obliged to confirm your start and finish dates, and can’t say anything derogatory about you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:
But they are obliged to confirm your start and finish dates, and can’t say anything derogatory about you.

Correct, and it’s what a lot of firms do now, whether you’re good or bad…

I’m staying where I am. I’m good and they know it

Hi Tris, What area are you in.

PaulNowak:
I was always led to believe (back in my management days) that it was illegal to provide a bad reference for someone unless they had been dismissed for gross misconduct

It’s not illegal to give a bad reference, but a person could in theory sue a company for defamation if they could prove that negative comments were incorrect.
That is why many companies now only give references which state objective facts, rather than any subjective opinions which could be disputed.

switchlogic:
Just have a chat with your current employer and mutually sort something out. Most employers in my experience aren’t ones for rigidly enforcing notice periods.

The reason he’s leaving is he’s had enough , w t f have they got too talk about :unamused:

You don’t actually need your P45 right away if leaving for a job that is paying monthly.

Let’s say it’s the 4th of the month, and your first pay packet for the new job will be dated 28th of that month: Cutoff for payroll might be 20th of that month.

That means you could start the job today, and have overlapping incomes for nearly three weeks - if you play your cards right.
One could even say that it “works even better” if you can engineer “being sacked” from the current firm on 19th say, rather than working the notice period.
“Here’s your cards bud - now get out!” from your former boss might never be such a welcome thing to hear! :open_mouth:

You cannot be robbed of wages already due if sacked, nor denied untaken holiday pay due after all.

If the new firm is already offering a job with a start date - they obviously don’t give a hoot about “references” do they? :bulb:

I left a job last October that required 4 weeks notice.
I was on monthly pay with a contract of employment.

The new prospective employer required me there to start ASAP, so I negotiated a two week notice period of notice with old employer to keep everyone happy. It was a compromise. I didnt lose anything financially.

I have just left the new job after ten months, no contract of employment ever issued, several hours of overtime worked and not paid over the last few weeks. I gave one weeks notice and was told on the last day that any holiday taken will be stopped if it exceeds what I have accrued in the ten months of employment. He got the hump because I was leaving him ‘in the brown and smelly’ by only giving a weeks notice, he forgets that I left my former employer to be with him ASAP but didnt want me to do the same for my new boss!

It all depends on how you speak to them. Negotiate your terms if you can.