1 hr ferry movement question

ok need some clarification,
if after 11hrs rest on ferry
speaking to a chap today not sure if he was on about interrupted rest or not, but if so, said ok to use prob 45min of 1hr movement to get to a depot (safe parking) after getting off boat, then unload■■? then carry on! sounds dodgy to me as would be 11hrs probable drive for rest of shift!

xxicelandicxx:
speaking to a chap today not sure if he was on about interrupted rest or not, but if so, said ok to use prob 45min of 1hr movement to get to a depot (safe parking) after getting off boat, then unload■■? then carry on! sounds dodgy to me as would be 11hrs probable drive for rest of shift!

Here’s the bit from GV262

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.
A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.

If you’ve had a full regular daily rest (or more) on the boat, this interrupted rest rule wouldn’t be applicable, as far as I know.
If you’re just short of 11 hours rest, you could drive for 45 minutes to safe parking which happens to be a depot, finish your rest, then unload.
Your days driving would then start after you’ve completed your rest.

and of course if you get just 9hrs on the boat(as long as its within 24hrs of starting your shift),you dont need to use any ferry movement.

Full rest taken ,so no need for break until after 4.5.so fulla the pipe up the road!

I used to have a situation where I’d be on the boat for 18-24ish hours and disembark in Cuxhaven in Germany sometimes up to several hours before the Sunday driving ban was up, but had to move off the ferry to the terminal gate, to then sit and wait. I was on paper cards then and did used to consider it a ferry movement and wrote that on the back, otherwise the hours sat by the gate would have counted as part of a 13 or 15 hour day etc. I could never get a definitive answer at the time as to whether or not this was legal and my cards never got more than a passing look by vosa or the BAG etc so no opinion was offered.

xxicelandicxx:

would he not just be tipping off card,so he can start a new shift when he is finished unloading and having a clear 15 in front of him…thats more likely what he was doing.

Maybe he’s doing what we do sometimes. Get off boat go to customer back on bay and finish daily rest while being unloaded. And long as you are at rest and not helping with unloading then this is fine.

Yeah switch that’s the idea I think, but it’s because I may be working for this company and I’m trying to get my head round it as to what he saying and on what they expect sometimes.

here is example so I think it’s ok then.
If shipping out of killingholme to hook, I presume it’s 12 hr crossing , so full rest had, and ferry movement not used on embarkment can you still use ferry movement for 45 min drive on disembarkment to a parking area then have another few hrs rest then ok to proceed with fresh card.

xxicelandicxx:
Yeah switch that’s the idea I think, but it’s because I may be working for this company and I’m trying to get my head round it as to what he saying and on what they expect sometimes.

here is example so I think it’s ok then.
If shipping out of killingholme to hook, I presume it’s 12 hr crossing , so full rest had, and ferry movement not used on embarkment can you still use ferry movement for 45 min drive on disembarkment to a parking area then have another few hrs rest then ok to proceed with fresh card.

Ok apologies if I am wrong but, from what you’re saying you have had all daily rest so why rest for a few hours at depot (unless you wish to do a split break regime ofcourse) but if you have had a full duly rest on the ferry then you DO NOT need to do a ferry move off ferry in the morning just start country and start day as normal with a fresh card. If however you have not completed a full 11 hours rest and you clocked off at port so ferry moved on to ferry and get off still without completing your 11 hours then a ferry move will be required to your destination for completion of daily rest but 45 mins duration depends on how much of your ferry move time you used getting on ferry so watch out for that one. But if you did do 11 hours then no ferry move needed to get off ferry as just start day as normal remembering to do start country. But from your statement no ferry move needed I believe sorry if that’s wrong.

The way I see it.
A regular daily rest is not less than 11Hrs you can always take longer if you want.

Book off on the ferry, make one ferry movement off, not longer than one hour.

I don’t think you can take a fully legal 11+ hour rest on the boat, then do an ‘up to an hours drive’ ferry movement.

The way I read it is,
a ferry movement is to join 2 or 3 shorter rests together to make 11+ hours rest in total. The reason for having to do it that way being the moving onto and/or off a ferry or train.
Once you’ve had a complete 11+ hr rest, you don’t need a ferry movement, so you can’t have one.
I don’t think it’s an optional thing to be used because you want to (so you can extend 10 hrs driving to 11?). It’s there to be used, if you have to, to make a legal rest.

Can you do this book of in say Caen 9hrs on ferry had your break boat docks portsmouth of you go no need for ferry movements I’m not sur I think you can but my mates say you cant

hanson:
Can you do this book of in say Caen 9hrs on ferry had your break boat docks portsmouth of you go no need for ferry movements I’m not sur I think you can but my mates say you cant

A ferry movement is to cover you because you’re moving during a rest, so you can join 2 or 3 parts of rest together to make a complete legal rest.
If you can get a complete rest in one piece, whether on a ferry or not, there’s no need or requirement to use a ferry movement.
So if you book off on the ferry at Caen. Book on, on the ferry in Portsmouth with 9 hours or more of rest, there is no need for ferry movements.
I do this all the time on North Sea crossings, Hull to Europoort or Zeebrugge, Killingholme to the Hoek or Zeebrugge. These crossings are well over 11 hours though so it’s easy.

If you book off on the dock at Caen, you’ll need a ferry movement to drive onto the boat. If your rest totals less than 11 hours at Portsmouth, you’ll have to use your second ferry movement to get to a parking place to get the remainder of your required 11 hour rest. You book on once your rest is completed.
I sometimes do this if I’m right on the end of 10 hours driving. Book off on the dock, ferry movement onto the ferry. Same North Sea crossings, so plenty of time on rest. Book on on the ferry, drive off and away.

Thought so that’s exactly how I do it use the killingholme and hull ourselves

hanson:

Hi mate just to say I do Caen to Portsmouth quite a bit and the way I work it is get to Caen and clock off then when I go to board I enter ferry mode (as I am boarding ferry thus interrupting my break) I then get on ferry and put myself back on rest making a mental note of how long it took just in case I need to do another ferry move. Upon getting into Portsmouth if my rest has equalled 11 hours then no ferry move needed but if not then ferry mode and move to a place within my time remaining ofcourse from my move hour ofcourse to complete rest. The only time I don’t is if I am having reduced daily rest I still do ferry moves though as it shows you getting on and off ferry whether you have to or not I am unsure but I think it covers all eventualities so as crossing is 9 hours then your covered for reduced rest If you choose that but I must say normally I do the 11 hour routine.

Here you go.

This is going to sound a silly question but " a movement" that your allowed within your break. Normally when i was doing Portsmouth to Caen, I would arrive at the dock sort out my tickets have a couple of hours kip in the lanes , then be pulled forward through the overhead signs into the shipping lanes, and often be there for 30 mins or more. Then move onto the ferry, now is that two movements. Have I used up my " two movements". I unfortunately dont do the continent now, but this was something that was always in the back of my mind.

josier:
This is going to sound a silly question but " a movement" that your allowed within your break. Normally when i was doing Portsmouth to Caen, I would arrive at the dock sort out my tickets have a couple of hours kip in the lanes , then be pulled forward through the overhead signs into the shipping lanes, and often be there for 30 mins or more. Then move onto the ferry, now is that two movements. Have I used up my " two movements". I unfortunately dont do the continent now, but this was something that was always in the back of my mind.

You can interrupt the daily rest period twice, it doesn’t matter how many times you move the vehicle in those interruptions.

While you was waiting 30 minutes to board you wasn’t on rest because you couldn’t dispose of your time freely, so the whole process from when you was pulled forward into the shipping lanes to wait to board then when you boarded the ferry is one interruption of the daily rest period.

Portsmouth caen Ferry takes About 6 hours is it possible to do a reduced break with ferry movements. And park up for 3 hours to finish?

I’d hazard a guess at no, that’s not possible. The split break allows you to do a 15 hour shift/9 hour reduced break without it counting as a reduced break, but parking up for three hours later will not count. If you put it on break as you wait to board and then do two ferry movements you must take a full 11 hour break.

I think I got that right.