1 hr ferry movement question

redsub:
Portsmouth caen Ferry takes About 6 hours is it possible to do a reduced break with ferry movements. And park up for 3 hours to finish?

You can only legally interrupt a regular 11 hour daily rest period to board/disembark a ferry or train, you cannot interrupt a reduced daily rest period.

Ok that’s clear then thanks.
Other question
Is this legal to do?
11:00 start
12:30 arrive in Portsmouth and put on brake till 02:30

02:30 start new day and drive to Paris from cean
06:00 arrive in Paris and start loading
10:00 drive to Caen
13:30 arrive in cean and put on brake till 0:30 with 2 movements.

0:30 start new day drive to yard
02:00 finish for the day and go home for reduced 9 hour brake and start all over again @11:00 in the morning…
Could this be done legal?

redsub:
Ok that’s clear then thanks.
Other question
Is this legal to do?
11:00 start
12:30 arrive in Portsmouth and put on brake till 02:30
Presumably that’s the crossing from Portsmouth to Caen with two daily rest interruptions that don’t exceed one hour in total.
Legally to interrupt a daily rest period you need access to a bunk or couchette while on the ferry, presumably that’s not a problem on that ferry ?

02:30 start new day and drive to Paris from cean
06:00 arrive in Paris and start loading
10:00 drive to Caen
13:30 arrive in cean and put on brake till 0:30 with 2 movements.
Seems OK to me

0:30 start new day drive to yard
02:00 finish for the day and go home for reduced 9 hour brake and start all over again @11:00 in the morning…
Could this be done legal?
It looks Legal to me.

switchlogic:
Maybe he’s doing what we do sometimes. Get off boat go to customer back on bay and finish daily rest while being unloaded. And long as you are at rest and not helping with unloading then this is fine.

This is not fine,
your paperwork didn’t make its way to the customer itself !
I’m going to guess the customer didn’t open your doors, curtains, ect !
The law states that you can interrupt a regular daily rest to embark or disembark or both from a ferry or train. The above mentioned is OTHER WORK, you can not carry out other work during any rest period. (Yes, we who use boats all the time do what you said, but you can’t go around saying it’s fine.

Regarding the length of the break, who says just because you have 11 hours in total on The ferry your day should start when you have to disembark?
You can interrupt a regular daily rest to embark or disembark but you must have a minimum of 11 hours in total.

I have disembarked ferries many times having had up to 18 hours on Board and continued my break as I was not ready to start my daily shift. I wasn’t ready to start work when the boat docked, I still had to get off the boat no matter how much I cried!

I think the answer here is, my mate uses the boat movement to his advantage is he right or wrong?

WHEN DUTY CALLS.

Outandabout:

switchlogic:
Maybe he’s doing what we do sometimes. Get off boat go to customer back on bay and finish daily rest while being unloaded. And long as you are at rest and not helping with unloading then this is fine.

This is not fine,
your paperwork didn’t make its way to the customer itself !
I’m going to guess the customer didn’t open your doors, curtains, ect !
The law states that you can interrupt a regular daily rest to embark or disembark or both from a ferry or train. The above mentioned is OTHER WORK, you can not carry out other work during any rest period. (Yes, we who use boats all the time do what you said, but you can’t go around saying it’s fine.

It is fine, the regulations only say that the daily rest period can be interrupted twice for a total of no more than one hour, nowhere does it say that the interruptions can only be used for embarking or disembarking the ferry and must not consist of any other work.

I’m not sure if your a picky fella Tacho or just picky with me! But whatever it is if you use your common sense and read the reg’s on breaks, no other work should be carried out.

Now I don’t know if you use boats or trains to interrupt rest periods and I don’t really care how it’s written, but you and others saying it’s ok to do other work whilst in the process of a ferry movement is miss informing drivers, but I doubt you really care as the chances are it would never effect yourself personally.

When using the ferry movement to board or disembark, that’s all it is, a movement!
The driver is on a break.

Edit:
God I hate it when I have to waste my precious time researching because of argumentative people.

This is exactly how it’s written,
In these cases, the daily rest requirements may be interrupted no more than twice to allow you to drive the vehicle on and off a ferry or train.

No it does not state you cannot do other work, but it clearly states TO ALLOW YOU TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE ON AND OFF A FERRY OR TRAIN!!!

Quote taken from the RSA website, rsa.ie/Documents/Tachograph_Enf/ … _Hours.pdf

Outandabout:
I’m not sure if your a picky fella Tacho or just picky with me! But whatever it is if you use your common sense and read the reg’s on breaks, no other work should be carried out.

Now I don’t know if you use boats or trains to interrupt rest periods and I don’t really care how it’s written, but you and others saying it’s ok to do other work whilst in the process of a ferry movement is miss informing drivers, but I doubt you really care as the chances are it would never effect yourself personally.

When using the ferry movement to board or disembark, that’s all it is, a movement!

Edit:
God I hate it when I have to waste my precious time researching because of argumentative people.

In these cases, the daily rest requirements may be interrupted no more than twice to allow you to drive the vehicle on and off a ferry or train.

No it does not state you cannot do other work, but it clearly states TO ALLOW YOU TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE ON AND OFF A FERRY OR TRAIN!!!

I’m not being picky or argumentative at-all I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong.

What you’ve quoted is not the regulations, here’s the quote from he regulations rather than some third party that has not quoted correctly.

Quoted for (EC) 561/20065

Article 9

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

Nowhere does it mention a “movement” nor does it say that the interruptions can only be “to drive the vehicle on and off a ferry or train”, clearly the intended point of the interruptions is to board or disembark a ferry or train but that does not exclude you from doing any other work during the process, in fact I’d say it’s pretty hard not to record some other work, whether that other work be sat in traffic or sat on a bay undoing the curtains matters not one iota as far as the regulations are concerned.

Outandabout:
I don’t really care how it’s written, but you and others saying it’s ok to do other work whilst in the process of a ferry movement is miss informing drivers

But it’s how the regulations are written that matters not what you or anyone else have read on some third party site where the rules are wrongly quoted.

tachograph:

Outandabout:

Edit:

I’m not being picky or argumentative at-all I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong.

What you’ve quoted is not the regulations, here’s the quote from he regulations rather than some third party that has not quoted correctly.

Quoted for (EC) 561/20065

Article 9

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

Nowhere does it mention a “movement” nor does it say that the interruptions can only be “to drive the vehicle on and off a ferry or train”, clearly the intended point of the interruptions is to board or disembark a ferry or train but that does not exclude you from doing any other work during the process, in fact I’d say it’s pretty hard not to record some other work, whether that other work be sat in traffic or sat on a bay undoing the curtains matters not one iota as far as the regulations are concerned.

Outandabout:
I don’t really care how it’s written, but you and others saying it’s ok to do other work whilst in the process of a ferry movement is miss informing drivers

But it’s how the regulations are written that matters not what you or anyone else have read on some third party site where the rules are wrongly quoted.

Outandabout, the key words are in red above. I suggest you look the two words up in a dictionary to see what they mean and how they could apply to the reg quoted by Tacho. What Tacho says is 100% correct and I also suggest outandabout, that you study his posts as you might learn something.