05 daf xf auto gear selecting suggestions

right our daf has started going from auto to manual on its own and wont let you put it back to auto,also sometime when you turn the ignition on and start it the transmission warning on the dash comes up and it wont let you select any gears turn the ignition off and leave it a few seconds then turn on and start the vehicle will then allow you to select a gear,also when going along the seconds between the gear changing has got further apart

do any of you have any suggestions of what the cause of this could be?

cheers
mike

may be the booster ,you need to get the fault code read

whats the booster and where is it

cheers

it’s the electronic item that opens the clutch on the bottom of the gearbox…it isn’t cheap hence it is best to get the code read …check the as -tronic air tank for water …depending on the model ie FTG ,FT depends where the tank will be …and for some unknow reason they generally didn’t fit a drain plug

norb:
it’s the electronic item that opens the clutch on the bottom of the gearbox…it isn’t cheap hence it is best to get the code read …check the as -tronic air tank for water …depending on the model ie FTG ,FT depends where the tank will be …and for some unknow reason they generally didn’t fit a drain plug

yeah, strange one that, the most important air tank on the auto DAF, and they don’t fit the drain plug :imp: :imp: :imp:

i have had very similar issues where it was the Exciter ring needed replacing on an 05 plate XF

it is more than likely that it would be water in the ASTronic air tank, not drained as there is no plug, that can cause the clutch actuator to fail, giving these fault codes

if the truck is a 6x2 midlift, the air tank is located between the midlift axle and the fuel tank on the nearside, not the one between the midlift and the rear
word of advice, remove the bung in the bottom, very carefully :wink: and retro fit a drain plug, and that way, you can drain it regularly

if you are getting excesses of water out of the rest of the tanks, it sounds like the compressor needs replacing, as it is making too much water for the air dryer to cope with

shuttlespanker:

norb:

yeah, strange one that, the most important air tank on the auto DAF, and they don’t fit the drain plug :imp: :imp: :imp:

i have had very similar issues where it was the Exciter ring needed replacing on an 05 plate XF

it is more than likely that it would be water in the ASTronic air tank, not drained as there is no plug, that can cause the clutch actuator to fail, giving these fault codes

if the truck is a 6x2 midlift, the air tank is located between the midlift axle and the fuel tank on the nearside, not the one between the midlift and the rear
word of advice, remove the bung in the bottom, very carefully :wink: and retro fit a drain plug, and that way, you can drain it regularly

if you are getting excesses of water out of the rest of the tanks, it sounds like the compressor needs replacing, as it is making too much water for the air dryer to cope with

If it is full of water I’d look at the air drier before the compressor.

most people change the air dryer cartridge regular, but never the compressor, after so much use, the compressor gets carbon’d up and causes excess water through the air dryer, too much for the air dryer to cope with

Gear position sensor.A black platic plate on the selector turret.The detector fingers are made of crap,they bend and stop detecting gear position. Usual ZF crap.

Just had the exact same problem on an 06 CF ,changed the booster and all seems ok now, like norb said the tank was full of water and this is what damaged the booster, truck was doing the exact same as you described, very slow to change gears and throwing up warnings on the dash.Seems like norb is RIGHT AGAIN and Mr BKing ( everything is crap) is WRONG AGAIN :slight_smile:

check fuse 18 ,it could be broke or wrong amp

You should has opted for a manual box from the start !!! , whats not there cant go wrong . For what its worth Iam a very big DAF fan .

Transc:
Just had the exact same problem on an 06 CF ,changed the booster and all seems ok now, like norb said the tank was full of water and this is what damaged the booster, truck was doing the exact same as you described, very slow to change gears and throwing up warnings on the dash.Seems like norb is RIGHT AGAIN and Mr BKing ( everything is crap) is WRONG AGAIN :slight_smile:

Well why not drain the water once in a while,believe its called a “service”
Or even change the position sensor on the clutch pack? ah well.

By the way which “tank” supplies the booster.The auxilliary or the wet tank?

shuttlespanker:

norb:

How does the compressor “make water”?

Bking:

Transc:

Well why not drain the water once in a while,believe its called a “service”
Or even change the position sensor on the clutch pack? ah well.

By the way which “tank” supplies the booster.The auxilliary or the wet tank?

The 06 CF was bought second hand,so obviously the previous owner had never drained it,whereas my 06 XF that I bought new and service regularly did not have a single drop of water in the tank when I checked it recently,I think the secret with DAF’s is to change the air dryer cartridge at every service,I service mine every 30-40,000km and have never replaced a valve or the air dryer on it yet (and yes I know I’ve probably just jinxed myself!).

The reason the tank gets overlooked is because it has no drain plug,so on a general service if you want to drain it you have to remove it and open the bung on the side.I do believe it would be classed as an auxiliary tank and unless you know what it’s for and the trouble it can cause then you wouldn’t see the need to remove it and drain it.

I am not a fitter so a small tank without a drain plug looks to me like something that doesn’t need to be touched during a service,if it wasn’t for the likes of norb,shuttlespanker and a few more experienced gentlemen giving their invaluable advice on forums like this I’d still be none the wiser :open_mouth:

Bking:

shuttlespanker:

norb:

How does the compressor “make water”?

any decent mechanic that knows his stuff can tell you the answer to that :wink:

i’m sure if you ask norb, he could tell you, but, i would put money on that he wouldn’t :wink:

that alone just goes to prove that you are not a mechanic, you are just a fitter

and, a ‘fitter’ by definition is someone who just fits new parts until it is right, whereas, a mechanic will actually take the time to find the cause of the problem

you, on the other hand, are simply the biggest loudmouthed ■■■■■■■■ who has not got a decent word to say about any truck, apart from Mercedes, and slag everything else off as being ‘crap’ :unamused:

here’s an idea, try losing the attitude and being civil towards others, and you might find that some people will start giving you a bit of respect, as currently, the majority of the membership on here just think you are a ■■■■■■■■■ with a big gob who knows ■■■■ all about anything

Spanky that’s rude :wink: :wink:
would sit down comfy with a drink and pop corn but alas I gotta go to work in a bit :sunglasses:

nick2008:
Spanky that’s rude :wink: :wink:
would sit down comfy with a drink and pop corn but alas I gotta go to work in a bit :sunglasses:

sometimes, the truth can be too harsh for some to handle :wink:

I may know F all shuttlew sorry spanker.But it better to know f all than spout the crap that you and other experts come out with.

Typical misinformed drivers room bulls artists.

Bking:
I may know F all shuttlew sorry spanker.But it better to know f all than spout the crap that you and other experts come out with.

At least you finally admit to knowing f all :smiley:

Transc:

Bking:

At least you finally admit to knowing f all :smiley:

Yes I leave it all to “experts” like yourself.
So next time I have a problem with a brake system can I give you a call?

If nothing else it should give me and my mates a laugh!