Max weight artic turning circle

Somewhere buried deep in regulations is a requirement for 44 tonne six axle vehicles to meet a specific turning circle radius. Does anyone know what this dimension is please? What I am really interested in is the cut in of the trailer wheels.

cav551:
Somewhere buried deep in regulations is a requirement for 44 tonne six axle vehicles to meet a specific turning circle radius. Does anyone know what this dimension is please? What I am really interested in is the cut in of the trailer wheels.

If there is such a requirement, somebody should tell MAN …

It’s all controlled by the pin to axle measurement.The measurement you’re looking for seems to be the smaller 5.3 metre circle here.In the case of Euro types it all seems to be a case of unnecessarily reducing cut in by over compromising tail sweep.Which in the real world just creates two sides to have to worry about on tight turns instead of just one.

transportsfriend.org/road/dims.html#turning

Oh christ, not again… RUN… RUNNNNNN.

Thank You I can work out what I need from that.

I seem to think at the time 44 t came out it was a minimum 9 meters from the pin to the rear axle centre but tipper trailers were exempt ,it was a long time ago now though un like CF who just googles all (his) ? Info

King pin to rear of trailer is a maximum of 12m, the artic must be able to complete a 360 degree turn within a minimum inner circle radius of 5.35m & an outer radius of 12.5m.

dave docwra:
King pin to rear of trailer is a maximum of 12m, the artic must be able to complete a 360 degree turn within a minimum inner circle radius of 5.35m & an outer radius of 12.5m.

Most trailers are 13.6m long so the turning circle needs to be at least that.

the nodding donkey:
Oh christ, not again… RUN… RUNNNNNN.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GORDON 50:

dave docwra:

Most trailers are 13.6m long so the turning circle needs to be at least that.

Thats what the regulation are, if you put a 350mm radius of the front corners of the trailer it can legally be 13.8m long & stay within the regulations.

We have the circle painted in our yard, but I haven’t a clue what size it is :blush: