FAILED! .....Choosing a Training provider

Unfortunately I failed my Practical driving test yesterday - 1 major(brushing a kerb with my rear wheel) and 8 minors.
This training malarkey has been a real eye opener and something I wish I had understood better before choosing a provider.
All of my practical tuition has been 2:1(one trainee driving whilst the other observes). This doesn’t suit my learning style at all and would have much preferred 1:1. Being somewhat introverted and having a more outgoing instructor and fellow trainee inevitably led to me feeling on the periphery which I found uncomfortable and did not help me absorb the experience at all.
Unfortunately I didn’t establish the learning format was 2:1 before I started the course and It fails to mention this on any of the course literature I was given.
I now understand why this should be a big factor when people consider the various training courses on offer.

ConvoyKid:
Unfortunately I failed my Practical driving test yesterday - 1 major(brushing a kerb with my rear wheel) and 8 minors.
This training malarkey has been a real eye opener and something I wish I had understood better before choosing a provider.
All of my practical tuition has been 2:1(one trainee driving whilst the other observes). This doesn’t suit my learning style at all and would have much preferred 1:1. Being somewhat introverted and having a more outgoing instructor and fellow trainee inevitably led to me feeling on the periphery which I found uncomfortable and did not help me absorb the experience at all.
Unfortunately I didn’t establish the learning format was 2:1 before I started the course and It fails to mention this on any of the course literature I was given.
I now understand why this should be a big factor when people consider the various training courses on offer.

Sorry to hear this. How many hours did you have - both in the cab, and driving?

There is nothing wrong with 2-to-1 training if delivered correctly (I am an advocate of it myself), but you should expect it to be twice the duration/hours of the 1-to-1 alternative.

BishBashBosh:

ConvoyKid:

There is nothing wrong with 2-to-1 training if delivered correctly (I am an advocate of it myself), but you should expect it to be twice the duration/hours of the 1-to-1 alternative.

Tbh as someone who did 2:1 training for my C licence and 1:1 training for my C+E, I can’t say I found either harder or better generally. As said if 2:1 you should still be getting the same amount of time behind the wheel as if it was 1:1. This is where having an assessment drive with the company you choose to use would help. After a short assessment a good trainer should be able to work out if you are going to be able to do it within the standard hours and whichever type of training.

Naturally some people will need more or less time behind the wheel. Same as with learning in a car. Some people can do a week’s intensive course and pass just fine. Some take lessons over many years and take a long time to pass.

A trainer can also only do so much to teach you. A lot of what happens is down to you as a person on how you handle training and tests. Everyone is different. And at the end of the day it’s how it goes on your test day, someone who is more than ready for test, can still screw it up on the day.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Four days.

ConvoyKid:

Four days.

Test on day 4 :question:

ROG:

ConvoyKid:

Four days.

Pre run and Test on day 5.

Dunno if It’s wise but booked resit for next week. :confused:

ConvoyKid:

ROG:

ConvoyKid:

Four days.

Pre run and Test on day 5.

That is usual

I did both my C and C+E with two trainees and one instructor. 4 days plus test on day 5 and that included learning the reverse and uncouple / couple.

I did find that this method gives plenty of exposure not only to your own mistakes but that of the other trainee.

If you are more introverted you probably take time to think and analyse, so not all bad.

Hi mate,

Sorry about your test. Personally, I prefer 1to1 training. In also usually advocate staying with your school, but, if you are a 1to1 trainee and you’re getting 2:1 then I know how you feel. I would either demand 1to1, nicely, or simply move to another school…

The ingredients of a new school will include, they will probably go over stuff that you have already learnt and it will feel like you have started all over again, maybe…

Maybe it will be a real fun and professional place to be - in any event you will be getting 1to1 which will be better for your psyche.

It may comfort you to know that I took three attempts at my Class 3 years ago when Long John Silver had two legs and an egg on his shoulder.

I also took four goes at the Class 2 and five attempts at the Class 1.

If you wanna do it - you will do it.

Trust me - get that one to one. Good luck. Stay calm, if you have ever seen me reverse you will see you have nothing to worry about…lol. And hey, if you hadn’t have brushed the kerb you would have passed - so don’t brush the kerb again.

Newbie 1:
Hi mate,

Sorry about your test. Personally, I prefer 1to1 training. In also usually advocate staying with your school, but, if you are a 1to1 trainee and you’re getting 2:1 then I know how you feel. I would either demand 1to1, nicely, or simply move to another school…

The ingredients of a new school will include, they will probably go over stuff that you have already learnt and it will feel like you have started all over again, maybe…

Maybe it will be a real fun and professional place to be - in any event you will be getting 1to1 which will be better for your psyche.

It may comfort you to know that I took three attempts at my Class 3 years ago when Long John Silver had two legs and an egg on his shoulder.

I also took four goes at the Class 2 and five attempts at the Class 1.

If you wanna do it - you will do it.

Trust me - get that one to one. Good luck. Stay calm, if you have ever seen me reverse you will see you have nothing to worry about…lol. And hey, if you hadn’t have brushed the kerb you would have passed - so don’t brush the kerb again.

What a kind and supportive post Newbie1. Thanks so much for the advice!

Second fail today unfortunately. Not sure whether to try for “third time lucky” or throw in the towel.

Convoykid - do this school owe you anything, as in, do you have training time prepaid for, or ‘x free retests’, anything like that?

If not, have you considered a change of training school? Reading your post about module 4 and I can’t help but wonder if that might be a good idea in your situation.

As to “third time’s a charm” or “throw in the towel”, that’s for you buddy. I know I would have a cry for that day and then be chomping at the bit for a retest, just so the 'ing thing doesn’t beat me :grimacing:

Penguin Mafia:
Convoykid - do this school owe you anything, as in, do you have training time prepaid for, or ‘x free retests’, anything like that?

If not, have you considered a change of training school? Reading your post about module 4 and I can’t help but wonder if that might be a good idea in your situation.

As to “third time’s a charm” or “throw in the towel”, that’s for you buddy. I know I would have a cry for that day and then be chomping at the bit for a retest, just so the 'ing thing doesn’t beat me :grimacing:

Penguin Mafia, unfortunately not. I contacted my original training provider for more info and was unfortunately reeled in by the “we’ve only got a few places left” line and before you know it had committed to going with them. I didn’t do my due diligence regarding key components of the course such as you mention.
Actually just enquired into retaking my test Mod 4 with an alternative trainer but not sure whether I will be able to afford as I’ve already shelled out around 2K for something I expected to cost around £1500. Through personal experience I am now realising just what a good deal the Pete Smythe offer is.

The time between tests was very short.

Interestingly for car drivers, the minimum time between tests is going up from 10 days to 28 days soon. This perhaps isn’t the case for LGV, but it does hint that drivers do tend to rebook too early and often the retest isn’t successful.

If you take a step back and take some time to think objectively about what went wrong in the original test, you will realise that in fact you failed because you weren’t ready. Sitting another test before you have really accepted that and given some careful thought to how to improve was unlikely to produce the desired result.

As strange as it may seem, some time away even without turning a wheel in a lorry could really help you process the fail and go back with a new understanding and mentality. You won’t have been driving a lorry, but you will have been thinking about it and sleeping on it.

Additionally, have you thought about visiting the locations of your driving faults and looking to see what other lorries do there? Like studying for any exam, it can be painful and unpleasant doing the legwork, but the rewards may be there if you persevere.

ConvoyKid:
Penguin Mafia, unfortunately not. I contacted my original training provider for more info and was unfortunately reeled in by the “we’ve only got a few places left” line and before you know it had committed to going with them. I didn’t do my due diligence regarding key components of the course such as you mention.
Actually just enquired into retaking my test Mod 4 with an alternative trainer but not sure whether I will be able to afford as I’ve already shelled out around 2K for something I expected to cost around £1500. Through personal experience I am now realising just what a good deal the Pete Smythe offer is.

Ah, the good old FOMO - if you don’t buy it now it’s gone forever. Sorry to hear :frowning:

Maybe a break is a good idea, process it in your mind and then find another trainer. Maybe get an assessment drive, explain what has happened and see where you are from there?

Feel for you buddy, you must be gutted :frowning:

Another school could be an option, but I’d be wary of any offering a ‘retest only’ option.

You may have a different vehicle, and depending on location be using different test routes. It would be sensible to have some remedial training beforehand to familiarise yourself - I would hope that any reputable school should offer this as a minimum to protect their own pass rate.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve failed a couple of times. Here’s my twopence worth for you.

I tried C+E first too soon after getting C and it was a waste of money. IMO C+E is quite a big step forward and one needs experience out on the road driving C before moving onto an even bigger motor. Not sure how that fits in with the current system of doing C+E without needing to do C first.

All the folk i knew who did C+E and passed first time did it in drawbar. I think an artic is a handful to reverse compared with a drawbar, and one needs plenty of practice as the trailer can ‘wip round’ quick. But now reversing i think is not in the test. I did my C+E at PSTT and i don’t think i did a single shunt with drawbar in the reversing manoeuvre.

Always go to a provider that offers ‘pass protection’ (3 extra attempts at the test for £300). One often fails first time and most often it is nerves. I think an HGV test is a stressful 1.5 hours. hth

ConvoyKid:

Sorry to hear you have failed twice. When I was learning Class C I couldn’t get to grips with it, to the extent I actually hated the driving. It clicked into place and passed on my 3rd time. I was on 2:1 and although helpful watching the other student, I found the day very long, quite tiring. You’ll know when you are ready!!

Driving C for a bit of time I gained valuable experience with regards to the Driving Height position and width of the vehicle, making me confident I could drive C & E forward no problem. Problem was the reversing, I failed 3 times on this and didn’t even get out the gate to go driving on the road. I was confident if I passed the reversing and got out on the road, i was confident i would pass, which duly happened.

After paying a wee bit for my Class C, it made sense to do my C & E with the site sponsor even though I traveled from Scotland (a few times), one of the best decisions I have made especially with the Pass Protection. Saved money in the long run, you’ll not go wrong there.

My point is, if you want it, you’ll pass, try not to put to much pressure on yourself to pass due to the monetary situation as there is already enough pressure

Thanks for the advice Colbhoy1888.