What's a...

Tilt? And why is it called that?

Any other terms you don’t know but we’re afraid to ask?

stu675:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … =5&t=54967

So why is tilt such a regular expression? I’ve never seen a
“A cargo carrying unit with a removable framework covered by a sheet (or Tilt). Used mainly on cross continental transpor”

Other than 3.5T Polish registered Luton vans.

stu675:
So why is tilt such a regular expression? I’ve never seen a
“A cargo carrying unit with a removable framework covered by a sheet (or Tilt). Used mainly on cross continental transpor”

Other than 3.5T Polish registered Luton vans.

When I worked for an old boss who had his own haulage business we made a tilt frame for the LDV dropside he bought and got the cover made up. Mainly to keep loads out of the elements. But the advantage was it could be stripped down to to dropside again fairly quickly, or a complete flatbed by taking drop sides off. It made the van much more versatile than a box or curtainside box, it was also a lot lighter than a full box.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

It’s something to do with it being an Anglo Saxon word, tilt just means a canvas covering I believe from a quick Google, Never really bothered to care about why they were called tilts before though tbh but knew they were.

You don’t see a lot over here other than foreign registered ones.

simcor:

You don’t see a lot over here other than foreign registered ones.

Do they go bigger than 3.5T?

I see a lot of foreign ones, but always 3.5T

stu675:

I’ve no idea why they’re called a tilt, but here’s some pics from when I drove them on international work in the 80s /early 90s

Here I am in a laybye somewhere near Munich

Image6-3.jpg

Stopped for a brew in Switzerland… :smiley:
That’s a handy feature of a tilt… The two JCBs are too tall to fit in the trailer, so you’d fold the sides up onto the roof, then roll the whole lot up and drop it on the bonnet of the front JCB.

Image15.jpg

This is how it looks when it’s all rebuilt.
I’d just delivered the pilings (on the ground to the left) to a dried up river bed near Udine, Italy.

Image23-1.jpg

stu675:

Yes, see above. :smiley:

dieseldave:

stu675:

Yes, see above. :smiley:

Yep that answers his question succinctly.

Ok, great thanks [emoji106]

So are they just an olden days thing, now replaced by curtainsiders?

stu675:

No Stu, they’re still used to this day on TIR work because a tilt can be customs sealed to TIR requirements.

Before you ask… :wink: TIR is a system of customs sealing and customs paperwork (usually) for jobs that load/deliver outside the boundaries of the EU.

As an example, I’ve used TIR to travel from Italy to Sweden or Norway when Sweden wasn’t in the EU.
Norway is not in the EU even now.
To make that job interesting, I used to travel via Austria (which also wasn’t in the EU at the time) and the former East Germany (DDR,) which was then a proper communist country behind the iron curtain.

The ferry for that work was to/from Sassnitz - Trelleborg across the Baltic Sea.

Back in the day, we also used to use TIR to do trips to/from Spain, also before it joined the EU.

Olden days :question:

:bulb: It’s called experience. :grimacing:

stu675:

Just like Eaton twins and Fullers were replaced by ZF Astronic and other semi or full auto boxes :
Don’t worry most old members on here have ample supply’s of rose tinted specs :wink: :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:

I see “tang” used a lot in FB groups, usually in relation to dodgy driving practices. Any ideas on that one?

dieseldave:

stu675:

No Stu, they’re still used to this day on TIR work because a tilt can be customs sealed to TIR requirements.

Before you ask… :wink: TIR is a system of customs sealing and customs paperwork (usually) for jobs that load/deliver outside the boundaries of the EU.

As an example, I’ve used TIR to travel from Italy to Sweden or Norway when Sweden wasn’t in the EU.
Norway is not in the EU even now.
To make that job interesting, I used to travel via Austria (which also wasn’t in the EU at the time) and the former East Germany (DDR,) which was then a proper communist country behind the iron curtain.

The ferry for that work was to/from Sassnitz - Trelleborg across the Baltic Sea.

Back in the day, we also used to use TIR to do trips to/from Spain, also before it joined the EU.

Olden days :question:

:bulb: It’s called experience. :grimacing:

Ok thanks [emoji2]
When I was a wee boy I decided TIR must stand for Terribly Important Rubbish. Was I right? [emoji6]

Or did they go for Transport international Routier to be boring? [emoji16]

still see a few tilt’s around with JCB’s and the like on board.

Zac_A:
I see “tang” used a lot in FB groups, usually in relation to dodgy driving practices. Any ideas on that one?

Tang (noun)

Tang is a slang word for truck driver, usually from Northern Ireland, who may wear a tang ‘uniform’ of check (lumberjack) shirt, jeans and dealer boots. A Scania T shirt is optional.
Tangs are often seen in the land of the bean. </TIC mode>

IMHO. the word tang can be used in a derogatory way, depending on context, but TBF it’s like any other group of people because there are good, bad and average elements in any group.

stu675:
… Or did they go for Transport international Routier to be boring? [emoji16]

I’ve no idea Stu, but the list of the member countries in the TIR agreement is quite extensive.

I apologise if that’s boring. :wink: :smiley:

stu675:

Tilt is an old expression. Youll find it used about horse drawn covered wagons. Im sure it`s in The Wessex Tales…;
Gimme 5

99% sure its in Tess DUrbervilles.
Angel Clare the redman has one.