A question on driver hours

I work 12 hour shifts which consist of 4 days on and 4 off.

My plan for when I eventually pass my HGV license is to continue my full time job and find an agency where I can work one day out of my four days off.

How many hours will i be able to work and how long do i have to rest for in between the 2 jobs - hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading

Rest periods are your main concern
Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight is a WEEK
If one minute of a weekly rest is in a WEEK then it can be used for that WEEK
As long as you can get 45 off in one go every other WEEK and at least 24 off in one go on the other WEEK then you can fit in as many driving shifts as you like

Daily rest periods must also be taken

Your non driving work can be listed in a diary

bobafatt:

My plan for when I eventually pass my HGV license is to continue my full time job and find an agency where I can work one day out of my four days off.

How many hours will i be able to work and how long do i have to rest for in between the 2 jobs - hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading

One day should be easy enough, possibly two days driving will be OK. But to be sure about limits:
Your normal job doesnt involve any driving? Your 12hr shifts arent all work (I hope!) so what actual work (not breaks) is involved?

And I think we are assuming that you will be under EU rules?
A wee bit different if you drive under UK domestic regs.

Franglais:
One day should be easy enough, possibly two days driving will be OK. But to be sure about limits:
Your normal job doesnt involve any driving? Your 12hr shifts arent all work (I hope!) so what actual work (not breaks) is involved?

It doesn’t matter how much working time is done in the non-transport job, as (unlike us “mobile workers”) it is possible to opt-out of the Working Time limits, and (crazy as it sounds) the Working Time in the non-mobile job(s) is NOT added to WT in the mobile job(s).

Depending on the exact start/finish times it will be possible to work at least 2 (and in many cases 3) driving shifts every single week, provided all the required continuous weekly Rest periods can be fitted into the fixed (Monday-Sunday) weeks.

Whether you’d want to is another matter, but as a short-term extra cash (& experience!) earner it’s certainly doable and fits perfectly to folks working 4-on, 4-off patterns in their regular job.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Franglais:

It doesn’t matter how much working time is done in the non-transport job, as (unlike us “mobile workers”) it is possible to opt-out of the Working Time limits, and (crazy as it sounds) the Working Time in the non-mobile job(s) is NOT added to WT in the mobile job(s).

Depending on the exact start/finish times it will be possible to work at least 2 (and in many cases 3) driving shifts every single week, provided all the required continuous weekly Rest periods can be fitted into the fixed (Monday-Sunday) weeks.

Whether you’d want to is another matter, but as a short-term extra cash (& experience!) earner it’s certainly doable and fits perfectly to folks working 4-on, 4-off patterns in their regular job.

Is this what you mean?
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules

“The main provisions of the 2005 Regulations are as follows:
weekly working time must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period - a maximum working time of 60 hours can be performed in any single week providing the average 48-hour limit is not exceeded”

But as you say

“Drivers who only occasionally drive vehicles subject to the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules, may be able to take advantage of the exemption from the 2005 Regulations for occasional mobile workers (see text box below for the criteria).”

It would apply (correct me if wrong) only if the OP did less than 10 days driving in 26 weeks?

“Definition of an occasional mobile worker under the 2005 Regulations
A mobile worker would be exempt from the 2005 Regulations if:
they work 10 days or less within scope of the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules in a reference period that is shorter than 26 weeks or
they work 15 days or less within scope of the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules in a reference period that is 26 weeks or longer”

So, if he works more than 10 days in 26weeks, isnt he fully subject to EU rules? Daresay Im missing else!

Most reference periods are 26 weeks so if a driver did 1 day every other weekend with a non driving mon to fri job then that is 13 days driving so under the 15

Franglais:

bobafatt:

Thanks for reading

I work for traffic wales in the control room from 7am to 7pm 4 days a week. It doesn’t involve any driving, mainly sat on a seat looking at computer screens for the most part

Roymondo:

Franglais:

This is totally over my head, i do apologise im a newbie with all of this but i kind of understand with what you are saying.

bobafatt:

Roymondo:

Franglais:

This is totally over my head, i do apologise im a newbie with all of this but i kind of understand with what you are saying.

I’m sure you must have heard of the working time regulations, for your office job you work in-scope of The Working Time Regulations 1998 which from now on I will refer to as the general WTD, when you’re working as a HGV driver (on EU regulations) you work in-scope of The Road Transport(Working Time) Regulations 2005 which from now on I will refer to as the RT(WT)R.

Both of these working time regulations say your working time must not average more than 48 hours per week over a reference period of 17 or 26 weeks.

However while you can opt out of the average 48 hour week in the general WTD cannot opt out of the average 48 hour week in the RT(WT)R, however you office job working time does not count towards your working time for the RT(WT)R, the only working time that counts towards the RT(WT)R 48 hour average week is time working as a mobile worker.

So basically what Roymondo is saying is that you don’t need to worry about the 48 hour average week because you will not average more than 48 hours per week for the RT(WT)R.
In short, don’t worry about the working time regulations average 48 hour week … though to be fair it doesn’t sound like you was going to anyway :wink: :smiley:

tachograph:

bobafatt:

Roymondo:

Franglais:

I’m sure you must have heard of the working time regulations, for your office job you work in-scope of The Working Time Regulations 1998 which from now on I will refer to as the general WTD, when you’re working as a HGV driver (on EU regulations) you work in-scope of The Road Transport(Working Time) Regulations 2005 which from now on I will refer to as the RT(WT)R.

Both of these working time regulations say your working time must not average more than 48 hours per week over a reference period of 17 or 26 weeks.

However while you can opt out of the average 48 hour week in the general WTD cannot opt out of the average 48 hour week in the RT(WT)R, however you office job working time does not count towards your working time for the RT(WT)R, the only working time that counts towards the RT(WT)R 48 hour average week is time working as a mobile worker.

So basically what Roymondo is saying is that you don’t need to worry about the 48 hour average week because you will not average more than 48 hours per week for the RT(WT)R.
In short, don’t worry about the working time regulations average 48 hour week … though to be fair it doesn’t sound like you was going to anyway :wink: :smiley:

Thanks for clearing this up with me, I understand now.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Is this what you mean?
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules

“The main provisions of the 2005 Regulations are as follows:
weekly working time must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period - a maximum working time of 60 hours can be performed in any single week providing the average 48-hour limit is not exceeded”

But as you say

“Drivers who only occasionally drive vehicles subject to the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules, may be able to take advantage of the exemption from the 2005 Regulations for occasional mobile workers (see text box below for the criteria).”

It would apply (correct me if wrong) only if the OP did less than 10 days driving in 26 weeks?

“Definition of an occasional mobile worker under the 2005 Regulations
they work 10 days or less within scope of the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules in a reference period that is shorter than 26 weeks or
they work 15 days or less within scope of the EU/ AETR drivers’ hours rules in a reference period that is 26 weeks or longer”

So, if he works more than 10 days in 26weeks, isnt he fully subject to EU rules? Daresay Im missing else!

I don’t believe that you rely on that paragraph “Definition of an occasional mobile worker under the 2005 Regulations
they work 10 days or less”
It’s as Tachograph describes that you just don’t add the 2 jobs together for WTD, only that the other job is not rest.

stu675:
I don’t believe that you rely on that paragraph “Definition of an occasional mobile worker under the 2005 Regulations
It’s as Tachograph describes that you just don’t add the 2 jobs together for WTD, only that the other job is not rest.

That’s right, as far as the calculated working time is concerned the RT(WT)R 2005 only applies to mobile workers and here are the definitions of :

• “mobile worker” means any worker forming part of the travelling staff, including trainees and apprentices, who is in the service of an undertaking which operates transport services for passengers or goods by road for hire or reward or on its own account;

• “working time” means the time from the beginning to the end of work during which the mobile worker is at his workstation, at the disposal of his employer and exercising his functions or activities

Unfortunately the DVSA don’t do much in the way of guidance these days but this is from an archived guide on the RT(WT)R 2005

2.6 Working for two or more employers or another organisation
For the purposes of the Regulations, working time is restricted to work for employers for whom a mobile worker carries out any in-scope road transport activities (i.e. work covered by the European drivers’ hours rules). It includes both road transport activities and any other work for such employers (for instance when a driver also works in an employer’s warehouse).

Work performed for employers who are not involved in road transport activities (for instance bar work) does not count towards the limits under the Regulations.

tachograph:

stu675:

That’s right, as far as the calculated working time is concerned the RT(WT)R 2005 only applies to mobile workers and here are the definitions of :

• “mobile worker” means any worker forming part of the travelling staff, including trainees and apprentices, who is in the service of an undertaking which operates transport services for passengers or goods by road for hire or reward or on its own account;

• “working time” means the time from the beginning to the end of work during which the mobile worker is at his workstation, at the disposal of his employer and exercising his functions or activities

Unfortunately the DVSA don’t do much in the way of guidance these days but this is from an archived guide on the RT(WT)R 2005

2.6 Working for two or more employers or another organisation
For the purposes of the Regulations, working time is restricted to work for employers for whom a mobile worker carries out any in-scope road transport activities (i.e. work covered by the European drivers’ hours rules). It includes both road transport activities and any other work for such employers (for instance when a driver also works in an employer’s warehouse).

Work performed for employers who are not involved in road transport activities (for instance bar work) does not count towards the limits under the Regulations.

Just trying to pick the bones from this excellent debate.

If a driver works in scope of 561 and therefore the RTWTR in a day but that day includes driving a van( nominally OOS) but counting as Other Work for that EC day - what is the WTD status of the van driving? As I see it, it must all be under the RTWTR as that day was in scope of 561 even if part of the day was in an OOS vehicle. Is that correct.

If the whole of the next day, following a regular daily rest period, is in the van, then that whole day is OOS of 561 but is domestically regulated. Is that day then outside out the RTWTR even though it’s for the same employer and in the same fixed week?

Only time under eu tacho regs counts for the drivers WTD

As a day on say van driving even for the same employer comes under UK domestic regs then that is under the normal WTD

ROG:
Only time under eu tacho regs counts for the drivers WTD

As a day on say van driving even for the same employer comes under UK domestic regs then that is under the normal WTD

Many thanks for the quick response.

bobafatt:

Thanks for reading

Good luck doing all your manual entries, new rules apparently… trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=172462 :laughing:

Maigret:
Just trying to pick the bones from this excellent debate.

If a driver works in scope of 561 and therefore the RTWTR in a day but that day includes driving a van( nominally OOS) but counting as Other Work for that EC day - what is the WTD status of the van driving? As I see it, it must all be under the RTWTR as that day was in scope of 561 even if part of the day was in an OOS vehicle. Is that correct.

I agree, the van driving would count towards the working time for the RT(WT)R 2005

Maigret:
If the whole of the next day, following a regular daily rest period, is in the van, then that whole day is OOS of 561 but is domestically regulated. Is that day then outside out the RTWTR even though it’s for the same employer and in the same fixed week?

A bit more of a grey area but I would say that as the worker is employed to be a part of the travelling team that falls in-scope of the RT(WT)R the van driving would count towards the total working time for the RT(WT)R.

edit: Just to add that my reply is assuming the driver in question is permanently employed by the company he drives for on both of these days.