Driving a HGV 1 day a week with a second job

Hi, just looking for some advice. I have recently passed my class 2 license and have been offered 1 day a weeks work at my current job until a full time position becomes available.

So I’ll be doing 1 day a week on the lorries- between 9 and 10 hr day total
And then 4 days a week I’ll be at my current job working in a recycling centre where I’ll be doing no driving at all.

My days off will vary sometimes I’ll have 2 days off together in the middle of the week, tue/wed but sometimes I’ll have Mon,Fri off for example

My hours at the recycling center will be 08.30-18.00 4 days a week

Just wondering how this will work with my tacho. Any
Advice will be appreciated

Easiest way would be to do manual entries for the days you aren’t driving. Remember to include the breaks you take on your non-driving days.

Goff118:
Easiest way would be to do manual entries for the days you aren’t driving. Remember to include the breaks you take on your non-driving days.

Thankyou for the reply, will it matter that my days off are split regarding the weekly rest or will it be OK as I’ll be having my 11 hours rest each day

You would need to take 45 hours of unbroken rest each fortnight, in order to meet the EU WTD.

From the Government website:

The main points of EU rules on breaks and rest are that you must take:
at least 11 hours rest every day - you can reduce this to 9 hours rest 3 times between any 2 weekly rest periods
an unbroken rest period of 45 hours every week - you can reduce this to 24 hours every other week
a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes after no more than 4 hours 30 minutes driving
your weekly rest after 6 consecutive 24-hour periods of working, starting from the end of the last weekly rest period taken

Liamc123:

Thankyou for the reply, will it matter that my days off are split regarding the weekly rest or will it be OK as I’ll be having my 11 hours rest each day

You say you’ll get 2 days off together every other week, so that will be perfect. If the situation arises that you get 2 consecutive weeks of broken days off you’ll need to look into it further. (Weekly rest over a Sunday)

Make sure you never work (and drive ) more than six consecutive days and if you six make sure you get two consecutive rest days (45hrs min) following week and payback what you owe.
I often work 5 days other and drive one. I don’t do manual entries just use ? For the time in between tacho entries, but if doing this keep a manual diary of work in between. This I’m told suffices. All the best.

Ps gets confusing when you start doing more than one day and have to worry about daily rest and weekly drive times!!!

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

I should add as you are driving only one day ? Is fine as 6 days of manual entries will take an age (including breaks) . Once you are driving more than OW then use manual entries!! Perhaps worth keeping a diary regardless you can note any issues you may forget or notes about drops etc.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk