Destined to fail case studies :( Stuck on drivers hours

Sorry for sounding thick. But I just know I’m going to fail my case studies test later this month as I simply cannot absorb the drivers hours. Frustrating as I sailed through my theory and hazard perception but struggling to find a way of remembering all the different possible variations of rest periods and driving times etc. Wondering what others have done to overcome this?

Apart from the easy 45 minute break after 4.5hrs of driving barely any of my questions covered it. None about double manning either which was the bit I revised most thoroughly as was struggling with it a bit.

Download the LGV Theory app. Within the free section, there’s 72 questions solely on drivers hours, WTD etc.

It flags the incorrect ones, which I screenshot and look at. Then re test, and repeat.

Found the app very useful. HTH.

Which examining body are you with? CILT or Skills & Education Group?

If it’s the latter, then the OCR past exams should still be available online (don’t have the url handy) and you can practice your case studies from there. There may be some “examiner’s reports” available too which give you answers that would have gotten you a passing mark.

Have you been studying with the EOS notes? If not then it would be good to get these as they have tests on drivers scheduling questions.

Tekno:
Download the LGV Theory app. Within the free section, there’s 72 questions solely on drivers hours, WTD etc.

It flags the incorrect ones, which I screenshot and look at. Then re test, and repeat.

Thanks… which app are you referring to? There’s quite a few there.

PFIZ69:
Sorry for sounding thick. But I just know I’m going to fail my case studies test later this month as I simply cannot absorb the drivers hours. Frustrating as I sailed through my theory and hazard perception but struggling to find a way of remembering all the different possible variations of rest periods and driving times etc. Wondering what others have done to overcome this?

The aim is to get past the test here so learn the basics as BedfordJ5 has advised and ignore the complications and focus on the rest of the case studies. If complicated driving hours questions comes up just guess at them if they aren’t obvious and quickly move on and focus on the rest!

I had a subject at Uni I just couldn’t get my head round (Stochastic Processes if you dare look it up), I ignored the whole topic and focused on everything else. When I finally got a job, Stochastic processes were a big part of it and after a few months I couldn’t remember why I found it so difficult :laughing:

PFIZ69:

Tekno:

Thanks… which app are you referring to? There’s quite a few there.

If you type LGV Theory in the App Store. The top result is the paid app, the one below is the freebie. I paid for the app to get me through all the theory and worked a treat.

ETA: it’s also got case studies.

No need to worry, not as hard as you would expect. I used lgvtheory.co.uk/ and it well over prepared me.

Have you read “The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles” ?

You learn only what you need to know to pass.

ISBN 9780115537271

dsabooks.co.uk/product_info … cts_id=294

David DeHavilland:
If complicated driving hours questions comes up just guess at them if they aren’t obvious and quickly move on and focus on the rest!

There’s no “if” about it, as far as gaining marks the two main segments of the case studies exam will be a big detailed driver scheduling question and a vehicle costings question.

I looked up stochastic processes :open_mouth: I’m guessing your changed perspective on it was similar to my experience with statistics: studying it without needing to apply it makes it dull and abstract, but as soon as you’re using it because you have a practical use for it (for me that was using the appropriate stats to “support my findings”) it suddenly becomes a lot easier to digest, dare I say it, at times it was actually mildly exciting

Zac_A:

David DeHavilland:
If complicated driving hours questions comes up just guess at them if they aren’t obvious and quickly move on and focus on the rest!

There’s no “if” about it, as far as gaining marks the two main segments of the case studies exam will be a big detailed driver scheduling question and a vehicle costings question.

I looked up stochastic processes :open_mouth: I’m guessing your changed perspective on it was similar to my experience with statistics: studying it without needing to apply it makes it dull and abstract, but as soon as you’re using it because you have a practical use for it (for me that was using the appropriate stats to “support my findings”) it suddenly becomes a lot easier to digest, dare I say it, at times it was actually mildly exciting

I think you`re confusing the Transport Managers CPC with the Driver CPC

Possibly, but OP just said “case studies”, which to me means TMCPC R2, rather than “Module 2” . I’m more used to people being worried about the former rather than the latter.

You just need to keep looking at it and doing practice questions helps.

I used LVG Theory website and practiced for 1-2hr per day for about a week and a half before the test.

Try not to panic, you can do it easily in the time you have. If you do the study time it will start sinking in.

The actual questions were easier than the sample questions I tried.

Zac_A:

David DeHavilland:

My point exactly! The complications disappear when you start “doing” and so its not worth worrying about.
There are only a few question on driving hours and they are straight forward and so using “exam technique” don’t bother wasting too much time on the complications imho if it’s at the expense of other topics.

Not sure I ever found maths “exciting”, especially financial mathematics but it was a means to an end :laughing: