LGV or PCV?

So my user name may have been a bit premature as I don’t think C+E is for me and also a bit reluctant with class C as I suspect much of it is multi drop and/or lot of handball.

As I’m already a bit of a bus enthusiast I’m seriously thinking about PCV. Now I don’t think I’d work commercially as a bus driver maybe community based transport either as paid work or voluntary based.

I know it’s an expense and many jobs might only need a car licence but as I said I’m an enthusiast anyway so it makes sense to me to go for it. In any case with hospital driving often LGV is needed so there is always option of adding that at a later date if I really wanted to.

This site is obviously biased towards LGV even though sponsor offers PCV as well and I guess plenty of users may have bus licence and have worked as bus drivers.

I have a few questions:

1. Does all discounts, pass protection, etc… equally apply to PCV?

2. Is there any point in doing D+E even if trainer offers it? I gather it’s only for coaches towing a luggage trailer?

3. Does everything on this site about class C training and test equally apply to class D? It’s no easier or harder, requires the same style of driving? I wonder if examiner is considering the vehicle is full of passengers (especially disabled) and may be expecting a much smoother driver taking such passengers into consideration?

4. Presumably the new 3a test applies to PCV as well?

5. Also wondered Pete (or Pete!) is bus often sitting around or does it get a lot of use compared to LGV? Maybe waiting lists not an issue compared to LGV? Suppose instructor does LGV as well so still may have to join the queue rather than jump it!

Thanks.

P.S. [for moderators] Any chance of adding a PCV thread on the home page or would it be a bit pointless? I know there is a PCV site or two but I do prefer this one!!

I’d say go for the PsV, if you’re into buses like you say and you get your PSV you will be even more into them.

And they are easy to drive.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Sounds to me that you should go for the bus.

For availability, call 01623 555661. There may well be a lead time, but you need to get your provisional licence and theory tests sorted before you can move on.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies. It won’t be until next year Pete. Are there differences in the nature of training between C and D. Things not relevant to one but have to be thought about with the other? You are clearly closer to the ground! Maybe not the best of views compared to rigid.

Cheers.

M70C+E:
So my user name may have been a bit premature as I don’t think C+E is for me and also a bit reluctant with class C as I suspect much of it is multi drop and/or lot of handball.

As I’m already a bit of a bus enthusiast I’m seriously thinking about PCV. Now I don’t think I’d work commercially as a bus driver maybe community based transport either as paid work or voluntary based.

I know it’s an expense and many jobs might only need a car licence but as I said I’m an enthusiast anyway so it makes sense to me to go for it. In any case with hospital driving often LGV is needed so there is always option of adding that at a later date if I really wanted to.

This site is obviously biased towards LGV even though sponsor offers PCV as well and I guess plenty of users may have bus licence and have worked as bus drivers.

I have a few questions:

1. Does all discounts, pass protection, etc… equally apply to PCV?

2. Is there any point in doing D+E even if trainer offers it? I gather it’s only for coaches towing a luggage trailer?

3. Does everything on this site about class C training and test equally apply to class D? It’s no easier or harder, requires the same style of driving? I wonder if examiner is considering the vehicle is full of passengers (especially disabled) and may be expecting a much smoother driver taking such passengers into consideration?

4. Presumably the new 3a test applies to PCV as well?

5. Also wondered Pete (or Pete!) is bus often sitting around or does it get a lot of use compared to LGV? Maybe waiting lists not an issue compared to LGV? Suppose instructor does LGV as well so still may have to join the queue rather than jump it!

Thanks.

P.S. [for moderators] Any chance of adding a PCV thread on the home page or would it be a bit pointless? I know there is a PCV site or two but I do prefer this one!!

Let me warn you. Being bus enthusiast does not necessary mean bus driver life is for you. On this job you must be bus passengers enthusiast. You must leave your dignity at home when leaving for your shift or end up being sacked due to complaints. People will abuse you, spit at you, assault you and all you can do is smile back at them and wish them a great day. I’m telling you that as experienced bus driver and driver’s mentor. If you want to enjoy driving, avoid busy city lines, go coaches.

I’d never get involved in commercial bus driving. I think you’d get better treatment with community transport. I’m not totally against LGV I just think I’m the sort of person who needs a bit more routine. I suspect LGV is not like that!