48 hours

I am currently a bus driver, looking to get into HGV, starting with 7.5 work before undertaking class 2 training.

My question is: Is it realistically possible to average under 48 huors work per week (as per WTD) on parcel deliveries / multi-drop?
If you are loading for an hour or two, then leave depot and drive for an hour or more to your first delivery, then have around 50 more deliveries to make, then have to drive for an hour plus to get back to base, and then unload, how is it possible to stay legal?

Also, sub-question. Can anyone tell me the daily routine from getting to depot to setting off?
I’m assuming you are assigned a vehicle first, in order to insert the digi tacho card and do a vehicle check?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

WTD is for the employer to sort out not the driver and authorities are not bothered with WTD

Remember to input your start time into the tacho - not leave it at the time you get the vehicle

Are you doing both PCV full time and LGV C1 part time?

Our place was bounced by the TC for WTD infringements.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:
Our place was bounced by the TC for WTD infringements.

DVSA have no sanctions listed for breaches so what do you mean by ‘bounced’ :question:

Put on warning as regards right to operate.
My company is rigid on WTD and has a tier escalator which ultimately leads to dismissal

apse.org.uk/apse/index.cfm/ … missioner/

Monkey241:
https://www.apse.org.uk/apse/index.cfm/members-area/briefings/2014/14-33-working-time-directive-advice-from-the-traffic-commissioner/

Advice only in that link

Monkey241:
My company is rigid on WTD and has a tier escalator which ultimately leads to dismissal

Many companies do but not authorities

Indeed…note the veiled threat though.
2 minutes digging suggests prohobition notices and so on

ROG:

Monkey241:

Many companies do but not authorities

My company…a rather large one was advised by the TC that unless compliance improved the company would lose the right to work in trucks

transportsfriend.org/workin … penalties/

Suggests the advice is just that, backed by a rather large stick

ROG:
WTD is for the employer to sort out not the driver and authorities are not bothered with WTD

Remember to input your start time into the tacho - not leave it at the time you get the vehicle

Are you doing both PCV full time and LGV C1 part time?

Thanks for your reply Rog
No, i wouldnt work 2 jobs - i’d go all in with C1

I have a question about the 48 hour week. Our breaks during yout dury taken into taken into account?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

dsj363:
I have a question about the 48 hour week. Our breaks during yout dury taken into taken into account?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Breaks are not counted as duty time.
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

“Duty is all periods of work activities such as driving and other work. It also includes periods of availability (POAs) unless the driver is able to take a break or rest period that complies with EU drivers’ hours rules during the POA (See Recording other work for more information). POAs do not however count towards a driver’s working time total under The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 (see Annex 2 for more information on working time rules).
Breaks and rest periods do not count as duty.”