Tacho help again

I usually work a 10-12 hour day. 7am start and take my 15 minutes around 10/11am.

If I’m going to be working until 5pm/6pm what time have I got until I take my 30 minute break?

I never do more than 6 hours of driving in my 10-12 hour day

Another annoying question but just trying to get my head around it being a new pass driver

Either driving time or WTD will dictate the next break after your 15 min.

When you finish the first break see what +6 hours is, then make that the next break due unless driving time comes round before.

Plus within 9 hours of your start time, for wtd 9 hours / 30 min.

Thanks for the replies. So 10am 15 minute break today so I need to take my 30 minute before 4pm or 4 hours 30 driving time since my break finished at 10.15am

Why don’t you just make life easy for yourself.
Start at 7am

Break at 1pm (45 minutes) (unless you’ve reached your 4.30 drive time before hand)

Finish at 7pm

That’s alot easier than trying to get a 15 min and a 30 min break during the day to comply with WTD.

Plus, if you have a full 45 min break rather than a split break. You’ll be more refreshed for the afternoon stint.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

njl:

legally incorrect if the working time in the shift is over 9 hours

This is a common theme on these pages, although finding the threads may not be that easy. As long as you don’t reach your driving limit, you need to:

a) make sure you don’t break the 6 hour rule

b) take a total of 45 minutes before the end of the shift (in chunks of at least 15 minutes). Only if over 9 hours mind.

If you do reach your driving limit, obviously that forces your hand.

You don’t need to have taken 30 (total) before 9 hours, but you do if you finish before 9 hours.

Does that make sense?

Noremac:
a) make sure you don’t break the 6 hour rule

…to add - at any point in the shift

ROG:

njl:

Is that because he’s had his 15min within the first 6hrs. And there is no 9 Hr rule ( in this case) you just get another 6 hrs to take your next break?

stu675:

ROG:

njl:

Is that because he’s had his 15min within the first 6hrs. And there is no 9 Hr rule ( in this case) you just get another 6 hrs to take your next break?

Spot on :smiley:

WTD summary:

• Less than 6 hour shift: [3 hours][15 min break][3 hours]

• Between 6 and 9 hours: [6 hours working][30 min break]~~~[3 hours working]

• Between 6 and 9 hours: [3 hours working][15 min break][3 hours working][15 min break]~~~[3 hours working]

• Over 9 hours: [6 hours working][30 min break]~~~[3 hours working][15 min break][1 hour working]

• Over 9 hours: [3 hours working][15 min break][3 hours working][15 min break]~~~[3 hours working][15 min break][1 hour working]

These are the minimums. Note the pattern of breaks. They are NOT permitted to be taken at the start or end of the shift.

TruckerGuy:
WTD summary:

• t.

No. No break at all is required for working 5 hrs 59 mins.

Plus all you’re examples are overly restrictive, the rules are much looser.

stu675:

TruckerGuy:
WTD summary:

• t.

No. No break at all is required for working 5 hrs 59 mins.

Plus all you’re examples are overly restrictive, the rules are much looser.

That’s my understanding of it.

I’m still trying to get this sorted out for my own reference. The number of threads that keep appearing in search results shows that whoever explains the basics is doing a poor job.

OK… so <= 6 hours NO break is required, and > 6 hours AND <= 9 hours a break of 30 minutes is required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift? It can be split up but it must be a MINIMUM of 15 minutes?

TruckerGuy:
[.

OK… so <6 hours NO break is required, and >= 6 hours AND <= 9 hours a break of 30 minutes is required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift? It can be split up but it must be a MINIMUM of 15 minutes?

Just moved an = sign from the < to the > for you, and then you’re right.
I’m not so sure about removing the = from the 9 Hr?

There is no 9 hour break rule where the shift is over 9 hours

Below is assuming the total driving time in the shift is less than 4.5 hours
Work 6
break 15
work 6
break 15
work 2
break 15
work 15

stu675:

TruckerGuy:
[.

OK… so <6 hours NO break is required, and >= 6 hours AND <= 9 hours a break of 30 minutes is required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift? It can be split up but it must be a MINIMUM of 15 minutes?

Just moved an = sign from the < to the > for you, and then you’re right.
I’m not so sure about removing the = from the 9 Hr?

< 6 hours NO break is required

w = 6

>= 6 hours AND < 9 hours a total break time of 30 minutes is required. First break required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift.

w = 6
b = 15
w = 2
b = 15
w = 1

total w = 9
total b = 30

>= 9 hours a total break time 45 minutes is required. First break required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift.

w = 6
b = 15
w = 3
b = 15
w = 3
b = 15
w = 2

total w = 14
total b = 45

Minimum break period is 15 minutes.

= 9 hours a total break time 45 minutes is required. First break required NO LATER than 6 hours after the start of the shift.

w = 6
b = 15
w = 3
b = 15
w = 3
b = 15
w = 2

total w = 14
total b = 45

could also be
w = 6
b = 15
w = 6
b = 15
w = 1
b = 15
w = 1

This page seems to explain it quite well…

driverhours.co.uk/working-time-directive/

chris2105gb:

No it doesn’t! That page is famous for getting more wrong than right, unfortunately.

chris2105gb:

No it doesn’t.

Whoever wrote it, doesn’t understand the rules.

Example 1 is wrong.
You don’t need to take 45 minutes break before you go over 9 hours work. If you go over 9 hours work you need to take 45 minutes break before you finish your shift, and you can’t start or finish your shift on a break.

Example 2 is wrong.
You don’t need to take 30 minutes break before you go over 6 hours work. If you go over 6 hours work you need to take 30 minutes break before you finish your shift, and you can’t start or finish your shift on a break.

Example 3 is wrong.
You don’t need to take 45 minutes break after you have done 4.5 hours driving, as you could do other work or finish your shift, etc. If you have done 4.5 hours driving, you need to take 45 minutes break before you do any more driving.