Tacho break

Hi all.

Hope this in right bit and I’m not repeating question. I have had a nose about and can’t see it.

Ok then here goes. We drive to a yard first thing in morning to get out jobs. We have 15min break whilst there. Now today I got 33mins in. And one of the chaps at work said that because I have had 30mins I don’t have to stop when 6hours comes up (if before 4.5 driving time comes up) only when driven 4.5hours. Anyone know if this is the case?

Many thanks in advance

Bazza.

When you take a break for the WTD it resets the 6 hour work clock so from the end of that break you do not need another break for the WTD until you reach another 6 hours work. If you reach 4.5 hours driving you would need a break which will do for both tacho and WTD regs.

It sounds like they guy who told you this thinks you need a 30 minute break for the WTD at 6 hours when actually you only need 15 minutes, so your normal 15 minute break you get each day starts the 6 hour count again anyway and the fact you had 33 minutes today makes no difference to that.

The only difference the 33 minutes has made, and assuming you have no POA and don’t reach 4.5 hours driving, is that your next WTD break will be due 18 minutes later than on a day when you get 15 minutes break in.

Be aware that if you reach the 4.5 hour driving limit you will need to take a break of at least 30 minutes to comply with drivers hours regs in the scenario you describe.

Ah ha thank you very much. Think I understand. Cos of the work we do we don’t always reach our 4.5hours drive limit. So if I reach my 6 hours first then I only need 15mins until drive time comes up. That’s superb. Thank you again guys very grateful.

Bazza.

bazdub:
Ah ha thank you very much. Think I understand. Cos of the work we do we don’t always reach our 4.5hours drive limit. So if I reach my 6 hours first then I only need 15mins until drive time comes up. That’s superb. Thank you again guys very grateful.

Bazza.

And remember it is 6 hours work, not 6 hours from the start of the shift so if you have POA that would make the time the break is required later in the shift.

I currently do a shift which is 9 - 9.5 hours but I only do about 4 hours driving and 15 - 20 minutes other work and the rest is POA so I don’t need a break for either the Driver’s Hours Rules or the WTD.

Coffeeholic:
I currently do a shift which is 9 - 9.5 hours but I only do about 4 hours driving and 15 - 20 minutes other work and the rest is POA so I don’t need a break for either the Driver’s Hours Rules or the WTD.

So what happened to your claim to have never booked any POA? :smiley:

Paul

repton:

Coffeeholic:

So what happened to your claim to have never booked any POA? :smiley:

Paul

Things change. I have no choice these days, you can only book POA while your card is in slot 2 and the vehicle is moving otherwise I would be booking it as break.

Ive just asked the question about position 2 on digitacho on main forum Coffee, how do you go about recording a break when in the passenger seat, in a moving vehicle (this is still allowed as far as Im aware!)?

toowise:
Ive just asked the question about position 2 on digitacho on main forum Coffee, how do you go about recording a break when in the passenger seat, in a moving vehicle (this is still allowed as far as Im aware!)?

If your card is in slot 2 VOSA will assume the first 45 minutes of POA to be break whilst you’re multi-manning, that’s because you can’t have the tacho on break mode for slot 2 whilst the vehicle is in motion.

thanx tachograph…amazing what you learn after 34 years in transport.(if you count the butchers bike at 14 :smiley: )