HGV Tipper drivers

Any advice on how to become a tipper driver *aggregate… in my local area we have numerous companies and each time I ask about vacancies they say I need experience? But how can I gain experience without a start? Which is the best way to get into this industry? Apprenticeships? Or as someone suggested start at a small family run business? Any advice would be greatly appreciated…thanks

If there tarmac/aggregate tippers get some flyers put up in the weighbridge or have a word with the staff. Owner drivers as well as bigger companies are often looking for drivers to do night work
(Planers etc). Might not what you want to do full time but it would get you experiance.

To get the job just drive like you own the road and push away other motorists using the size of your vehicle, it also helps if your horn works as you will use that all day, print off an exemption certificate from the internet to show to the nice traffic police man and DVSA enforcement as this will give you and the lorry exemption from any prosecution,

I’m hiring at the moment, wage is minimum wage, no breaks, 32 drops a day, and the hours are 17 per day at 7 days a week , I have a fleet of Chinese Hino top of the range trucks with a microwave/ radio that doesn’t work/ sunroof/tacho is busted too .

We have a red fuel account at the local traveller site so you pay them cash and I don’t pay you back .
If you do a night out you must sleep in the tipper and not in the cab as this upsets the day drivers.

We have a building site across the way from us and my first cup of tea of the day is spent watching the progress. The brick and block men and mixer drivers have it hard, they often have to get wet whist unloading or washing the drum. meanwhile the tipper drivers reverse onto site while their easy sheet unfurls or is it furling, they hand a delivery note to a bloke who points to where they unload, they back up, skell it up and drive away without leaving the cab, there are a lot of girls working out of the local quarry who drive around dressed to the 9’s with a hi viz bra, it certainly looks to be the easiest lorry driving job I have seen for many years.

BigStevie2:
Any advice on how to become a tipper driver *aggregate… in my local area we have numerous companies and each time I ask about vacancies they say I need experience? But how can I gain experience without a start? Which is the best way to get into this industry? Apprenticeships? Or as someone suggested start at a small family run business? Any advice would be greatly appreciated…thanks

If you put your area in your question, people might be able to point you to specific companies, eg if you were around the north east there’s one outfit I’d suggest, allegedly they have a bit of a turnover of staff, and the gaffer is always on the look out for drivers who are a bit more sensible than many of the ones he’s got already :smiley: Apparently the money is better than average too, according to the guys who work there.

I’ve wondered this as well. Applied at a few before and heard nothing back. Not just sending CVs but giving them a call and it was always “experience”.

Maybe most just lie about their experience?

i was on the Tippers for 25 years.my dad got me my first job,alongside him,and it seemed to me lot’s of newbies had dad’s/uncle’s/brother’s etc working in the quarries,at the time.might be worth a prospective newbie gets to befriend a local owner driver/small Company outfit,and get in that way? i loved my time on the tippers,tho as described above,there are still some cowboy outfits about :astonished: avoid them if you can!

Get your MPQC card done. When applying for jobs, always call in first and say that you already have the card, it will give you a head start.