Getting Into Tipper Driving

Can anyone tell me how to get into tipper driving, Ist there a course I can do for that work?
I’m up ion the north east and usually they want lots of experience.

Knock on doors, see the gaffer himself eye to eye, sell yourself, show him you’ve got the bollox, no shrinking violets needed.

Can you drive a truck well, you need good gear control and good overall judgement and common sense for offroad.

Not really any courses, if the gaffer takes a shine to you he might send you out with a trusted old timer for a day to see how you perform (probably unpaid but you never know)…remember to clock any totty alongside on the road and hang back in traffic to give a good selection of cars to lech into and make sure to tell your mate if anything good so he can have a good look too, most important part of tipper driving…so they tell me… :wink:

I started on tipper driving after passing my cat c , been at it 18 months now (along with other things like hooklift , flats etc ), no training given or needed really just shaddowed (ie followed) an experienced tipper driver for a day . we dont do quarry work , just muck shift etc .
i think if you go into quarrys , you need to do a cource , elf and safety ballhooks ,the name escapes me tho …
your prospective employer would sort that for you .
go and knock on a few doors see what they say …

cheers Mike

brill, thanks for the info lads… will give it a go

Just knock on doors ,most work is just applied common sense.There is lots of different work for tippers ,bulk feed to farms or road construction ,muckaway etc.Let us know how you get on.

I love you newbies, a tipper driving course.you crack me up.I loved my time on tippers but the cash was better else where

I would not Knock a newbee,we Were all in his position at one time.Dont be put off ,there are folk on here who will gladly help.

If your in the north east try hargreaves moneys not the best but it’s all experience and a foot on the ladder as they say, i did 11 years on the tippers and enjoyed it tbh. Just far too much h&s in the tippin game nowadays :confused: