Breaking into the world of tippers (Highways England)

Anyone work/ed in the road construction as a tipper driver (or other kind of HGV driver)? I’m curious what the requirements are in general, how easy/hard the work is, is it long term or fixed term? I see some ads where they list the alphabet in certificate requirements, in another they expect you to do cleaning/incident support/litter picking/bush trimming etc. which doesn’t sound too bad tbf, would break the monotony of driving a bit although I imagine it’s mostly short trips from local depot to site and back on and on…

Would they also expect you to operate a say digger and fill your own tipper on site/depot or do you just drive n tip?

Any inside info on the nature of the work would be appreciated.

I imagine pay would be towards the top end of the scale but my imagination likes to run wild sometimes

Tipper work is often entry level ,lots of new passes cut their teeth on tippers and/or skip motors. The pay wont beany thing startling. Its a home every night job ,or has been when I have done it.

Did a period on tippers and quite enjoyed the change. Easy work and not hard. Common sense when tipping helps and expect plenty mud depending on the work. Nobody would expect you to use a digger etc. You need to be trained like most things these days.

Sounds like they want a dog’s body with a class 2 (or maybe just C1) so expect to get very wet, cold and work daft hours of the day / night especially if oncall. Might end up gritting major roads too.

Can’t drive diggers as you need CSCS card for that plus maybe an NVQ (not done diggers but did dumper trucks).

Would suspect general tippers might need a CSCS for construction sites, but that’s easy and pretty cheap.

I’m on class2 tippers. ■■■■ easy work, muck away, aggregate delivery’s etc. Easiest job I’ve ever had, but I’ve come from a career (I was a funeral director on decent money). It’s my first HGV job, the training took 1/2 an hour but I’m not sone daft young kid. I now earn ■■■■ money, in fact minimum wage but a load bonus incentive (legal/illegal I don’t care) but never been happier. Having said all that I’ve got my class 1 too, but most jobs want nights out and quite frankly I think that would end my marriage; so tippers it is for now. I do not have an MPQC card and no one gives a cluck!