Company ignorance

Help and advice please.
The company I work for found out that I had entitlement on my licence to drive LGV/HGV, although I’d not done the CPC as it had been a while since last driving. So in their infinite wisdom, they applied for and got the relevant ‘o’ licence and purchased a 7.5t truck.

I was put through my CPC which I now have and possess a tacho digi card.
Problem I have, is the company haven’t applied for their digi card, and also haven’t set up a means of downloading the info from the tacho and my drivers card, but still expect me to plod on driving the vehicle.

In spite of repeated reminders about this it seems to be ignored, also the 3 monthly safety check is overdue on the truck. What the hell do I do?

We had a new member of staff that was supposed to be sorting all this side of things out and lias with me, but unfortunately this person left after a short while. We have a new starter but as yet nothing has been discussed or sorted out regarding the operating of the truck etc.

I’m really concerned who is responsible if I get stopped and the VOSA mob see that the tacho hasn’t been downloaded along with my driver card, also that there are no company card details etc.

Do I discuss this with them, is there any one that I can contact ? So worried about my job etc.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Your legal duty is to present the digicard for downloading
I suggest you put in a diary every time you do so as that will legally cover you in the case of a DVSA stop

It is the legal responsibility of the company to download it and it is them that will be in hot water with DVSA

Just to add a couple of bits. You have no way of knowing, as a driver, if your card has actually been downloaded - which is why there’s no problem if stopped provided to do as ROG has advised.

Just make sure there is an O licence disc in the screen of the truck. If there isn’t one you really need to be asking questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Inspection every 28 days aswell I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safety inspections are set at anything from 14 days to 13 week intervals. This depends on mileage and type of mileage. eg a tipper covering 1000kms a week probably has a harder life than an artic trunking up and down the motorway doing 2000 kms a week. And the inspection intervals will reflect this.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I hope you asked for a pay rise when they pressganged you into driving the 7.5t

Thanks for all the help and advice, I’ll keep trying to persuade the company of their responsibilities etc, mind you, if the authorities get involved then that’s their problem as I’ve stuck to my side of what I’m supposed to do as a driver.

Marbrand1:
… they applied for and got the relevant ‘o’ licence and purchased a 7.5t truck.

Hi Marbrand1,

As long as you know that they’ve got the relevant ‘O’ licence (there are a couple of different kinds of ‘O’ licences) for a fact, then you (as an employed driver) are pretty much in the clear in many respects.

When ‘they’ obtained the ‘O’ licence, they had to sign an undertaking that ‘they’ would operate their vehicle(s) legally and safely. If they hadn’t signed the undertaking, then they wouldn’t have been granted the ‘O’ licence. Simples.

Now that you know that… ‘they’ should be referred to that which ‘they’ have already signed, because if ‘they’ think that it’s just some unimportant bit of paper, then we can assure them that the Traffic Commissioner (who granted the ‘O’ licence) sees it VERY differently and will hold them to it. :smiley:

If they’re still not sure what to do, then I’d suggest they should re-read what they’ve already signed up for.

Final point… they already have a copy of the undertaking.