New to trucking, planning to get my class 1

Hi all, I’m planning to do back-to-back training for a class 1 license, but I wanted to ask something before I sign my next few years away to this career. How often do you get home as a class 1 driver? I’m keen to drive trucks for a living, but I want to make sure that I’ll get to see my wife on a regular basis. I’ve only been able to find american opinions on this topic, and the general rule over there is that you will almost never see your family. Is that true in the UK as well?

Funky.schnitzel:
Hi all, I’m planning to do back-to-back training for a class 1 license, but I wanted to ask something before I sign my next few years away to this career. How often do you get home as a class 1 driver? I’m keen to drive trucks for a living, but I want to make sure that I’ll get to see my wife on a regular basis. I’ve only been able to find american opinions on this topic, and the general rule over there is that you will almost never see your family. Is that true in the UK as well?

It depends on what type of work you want to do?? Tramping you would be away (in general) a week at a time. Trunking - you would normally complete this within the working day and get home after your shift.

There is a lot of varieties and as I say it would depend on what you would like to do?

Short answer is : You can be home every night if you want to be.

Back to back … usually a week+ wait for licence to be returned after passing C

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better. I’ve always wanted to drive a truck for a living, but didn’t want to have to give up my family for it.

Colbhoy1888:

Funky.schnitzel:

It depends on what type of work you want to do?? Tramping you would be away (in general) a week at a time. Trunking - you would normally complete this within the working day and get home after your shift.

There is a lot of varieties and as I say it would depend on what you would like to do?

Although the options of finding day work can be difficult in some more rural, remote areas, so you might have to accept one or 2 nights away each week.

If you want to save a small fortune, take a look at this trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=162961

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing: