Truck driving in the USA

I am planning on moving to Michigan next year and will be looking to get a truck driving job.
I’ve had a class 2 licence (european) for 4 years and will be looking to get into music/conference work,which is what I am currently doing.
Can anyone offer any advice re is my licence valid,and if not,how much money and how much time does it cost to get training and a licence etc.
Do they have the equivalent of classes 1,2 etc or is it one HGV licence?
And what are driving rules re hours etc? I’ve been told they don’t use tachos there.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Len,
Your licence means nothing here, the classes are CDL A & B mainly with other variations.
You may have to pay some company to retrain you for a test, it depends how confident you are about passing a test which is not very hard over here.
I used to work in a similar way to you, doing promotional truck driving and setting up shows and bands etc. From what I see here the guys who do that sort of work are away for 6 or 7 months at a time because of the distances involved.
You may find a company willing to train you if you work for them providing you have proof of your driving history, I did :slight_smile:
Good luck.