New Sheeting and Roping thread ! [Merged]

Bloody hell Dennis,have we not seen enough?

David

Why? Just wondering…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

As a bonus to the New Sheeting & Roping Thread - what about all those tidy empty wagons, how did they stow their sheets & ropes on those lonely early morning journeys to handball a full load, or bloodshot eyed late afternoon trips to pick up backloads ■■

Here’s one for starters (NMP)

Interesting photo there Dennis , that’s how i travelled when empty with sheets up to the headboard .The amount of drivers these days who leave sheets right at the back of their trailers almost on the edge is widespread. Sheets and timbers across the back with a ratchet strap is just asking for trouble.

Sheets on the back of a steel sprung trailer will be bounced everywhere, tis true.
Tight on the headboard they may have to be moved before first pallets are loaded.
So I generally put them above the legs. Easy to chuck on top once the first few pallets were loaded, dependent on plt height of course! Let the forkies get a start while I was getting on the deck.

Sheets were rolled tight, but with sheet ties left loose, so they could be used to keep sheets tied tight when handled, and if needed to tie sheet (put across trl, not length-ways) to trailer without using any rope.

I daresay others will disagree.

I would not have thought there are many drivers left that would know what to do with ropes and sheets no mater where you put them on the trailer. :blush:

I liked the way drivers with a seafaring background had beautifully coiled and hung ropes on the back of the cab.

And also perfectly spliced eyes & dog’s ■■■■■.

Pics anyone - Peggy D B ■■

A bit more info on the positioning of rolled sheets and ropes on m/t trailers regarding Robsons of Carlisle well from what I understood it was a standing instruction at Robsons that the rolled sheets had to be placed at the backend of the flat so the loading of the trailer could start immediately without having to wait to move them away from the headboard . Not a bad rule/idea but it was one we never invoked at Bewick Transport ! Cheers Bewick.

whisperingsmith:
I liked the way drivers with a seafaring background had beautifully coiled and hung ropes on the back of the cab.

And also perfectly spliced eyes & dog’s ■■■■■.

Pics anyone - Peggy D B ■■

Eyes both ends.
They can be used the same as way a spliced end, and are still there if needed as eyes.

Confuses the natives when joining two ropes in the ear of a dolly too…too many `oles!

Easier to join 2 ropes with a sheet bend; One with an eye & One with a dog’s ■■■■
Much easier than 2 ropes with eyes and less of a mess

Pass a short loop through the eye, end of rope through, pull tight.
Ropes joined.
Sorry, I don`t know if that has a correct name?

whisperingsmith ,i would suspect we are the only 2 on this site that actually has a certificate for working with rope unless some are keeping quiet.
As for photos i never owned a camera even at sea time ,until phones came with them all though most drivers in the late 1960/70s knew how to coil and look after ropes and sheets as BEWICK would know the majority of drivers pride went in to roping and esp sheeting thank god my hands are not like ours used to be eh h,and yes when empty always at the headboard .

also if parked say LIVERPOOL we would run over our sheets with the trailer.dbp.

One my attempts

Machinery moves

The Boys Own:
Machinery moves

Bert did a few jobs for me when I was at Allen’s in Bedford, is he still around? Great character.