New Sheeting and Roping thread ! [Merged]

Dennis you been teaching when on holiday ? why do we need 3 roping and sheeting threads, summit needs to be done, Buzzer

Well John seeing as the original S & R thread had been hi jacked by “Gearboxes” I thought that a new S & R thread with a clean sheet was necessary and I wasn’t involved in the creation of the third thread was nowt to do wi me eh! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

Bewick:
Well John seeing as the original S & R thread had been hi jacked by “Gearboxes” I thought that a new S & R thread with a clean sheet was necessary and I wasn’t involved in the creation of the third thread was nowt to do wi me eh! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

But it was you who diverted it by posting a picture of your Magnum. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whisperingsmith:
I liked the way drivers with a seafaring background had beautifully coiled and hung ropes on the back of the cab.

And also perfectly spliced eyes & dog’s ■■■■■.

Pics anyone - Peggy D B ■■

Guilty as charged m’lud, but I never did do splicing, if I needed an eye I did a bowline, still do for all sorts of purposes. Quick and easy to do an must be the only knot that can be easily undone (when required) even when having been tensioned and wet. :wink: :smiley:
The secret with coiling is to twist as you do it, then it doesn’t get kinked. But you and lots of others, seafaring or not, knew that, didn’t you? :slight_smile:

@peggydeckboy. Half a crown to the 10 year old ‘guardian’ often did the trick too. :laughing:

Hi Spardo
yes i used to see lots of eyes spliced by a numb nuts, like long splice but wrong , but not my rope ,the companies, half a crown not a bad rate for 1967–,the new sheets used to arrive with some type splice ,not the correct one i would redo mine…as for the bowline you are correct ,also there is a running bowline but this is about trucks lol.dbp.

peggydeckboy:
Hi Spardo
yes i used to see lots of eyes spliced by a numb nuts, like long splice but wrong , but not my rope ,the companies, half a crown not a bad rate for 1967–,the new sheets used to arrive with some type splice ,not the correct one i would redo mine…as for the bowline you are correct ,also there is a running bowline but this is about trucks lol.dbp.

Is a running bowline a bowline on the bite?

Spardo:

whisperingsmith:
I liked the way drivers with a seafaring background had beautifully coiled and hung ropes on the back of the cab.

And also perfectly spliced eyes & dog’s ■■■■■.

Pics anyone - Peggy D B ■■

Guilty as charged m’lud, but I never did do splicing, if I needed an eye I did a bowline, still do for all sorts of purposes. Quick and easy to do an must be the only knot that can be easily undone (when required) even when having been tensioned and wet. :wink: :smiley:
The secret with coiling is to twist as you do it, then it doesn’t get kinked. But you and lots of others, seafaring or not, knew that, didn’t you? :slight_smile:

@peggydeckboy. Half a crown to the 10 year old ‘guardian’ often did the trick too. :laughing:

Perhaps it was the amount of times one had to coil a heaving line etc …anyway I liked my ropes neat and straight …sheets tight not flapping around like a Spanish galleon :unamused: !!! :unamused:

I’d like to see a thread on loading and rope and sheeting wool now that would be very interesting , i just missed out on it as most of the mills had shut and the textile machinery shipped to Asia by the time i started. Enter Les P ■■?

The aussie crowd must have been at sea ,to young to be jumpers??.

Ok driver your loaded now sheet it. nmp. Les.

Yes STAR [Bowline on a bight] is tied in the middle of a rope with no access to the ends, a running bowline is when a bowline has been tied then put the loose end though the bowline ,many ways to tie a bowline as you know.
a bowline bend is 2 bowlines to tie to mooring ropes together, dbp.

peggydeckboy:
Yes STAR [Bowline on a bight] is tied in the middle of a rope with no access to the ends, a running bowline is when a bowline has been tied then put the loose end though the bowline ,many ways to tie a bowline as you know.
a bowline bend is 2 bowlines to tie to mooring ropes together, dbp.

Well you learn something new every day pdb, Bowline on a Bite for instance. Just nipped out when I read that to do one in an old piece of rope (nothing gets thrown away here :wink: ) and after I congratulated myself, what do you reckon? I spotted a Bowline Bend in the middle of it, must have been there years. :laughing:

Not sure what you mean by ‘jumpers’ but I was just that, one day in Sydney when I didn’t like the ship or the crowd. The Aussies treated me really well and even suggested ways that I could become legal but I chose to allow Shell to get me safely back home and returned of my own accord about 4 years later. :smiley:

les-p:

I really hope that isn’t finished, 2nd up front right doesn’t look too handy. :unamused: :laughing:

I’ve never had one of those over cab decks, are there any rope hooks on them? Difficult to use if so, but I wouldn’t trust that just to the tensioned ones on top to prevent it working its way out. :confused:

Come to think of it I only had wool bales once in my career either. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

les-p:

I really hope that isn’t finished, 2nd up front right doesn’t look too handy. :unamused: :laughing:

I’ve never had one of those over cab decks, are there any rope hooks on them? Difficult to use if so, but I wouldn’t trust that just to the tensioned ones on top to prevent it working its way out. :confused:

Come to think of it I only had wool bales once in my career either. :slight_smile:

Tell that to the coppers when it drops off, we did mostly wool but had to know how to load the other goods. Les.

> Spardo:
> Not sure what you mean by ‘jumpers’ but I was just that, one day in Sydney when I didn’t like the ship or the crowd. The Aussies treated me really well and even suggested ways that I could become legal but I chose to allow Shell to get me safely back home and returned of my own accord about 4 years later. :smiley:

Better than coming back DBS :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The devil himself would make a sailor if he could look aloft and tie a bowline…
I read that somewhere and it’s always stuck with me!

whisperingsmith:
> Spardo:
> Not sure what you mean by ‘jumpers’ but I was just that, one day in Sydney when I didn’t like the ship or the crowd. The Aussies treated me really well and even suggested ways that I could become legal but I chose to allow Shell to get me safely back home and returned of my own accord about 4 years later. :smiley:

Better than coming back DBS :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s exactly what I was classed as, but I was anything other than ‘distressed’', met a lovely Australian ■■■■■■■ the Greek Liner (‘Ellenis’) on the way home, a friendship that lasted beyond the voyage and, on my return to Sydney 4 years later when I rang her and we had lunch together, her first comment was ‘what kept you?’ :laughing: At this point Victorian novels then say ‘and, dear reader, I married her’, but sadly she was about to go on a fortnights holiday and although we agreed to meet again, I was seduced by Queensland in the interval. :unamused: And we never met again. :frowning:

Sheet rack advert.

sheets hatcher 78 p.PNG

les-p:

Spardo:

les-p:

Tell that to the coppers when it drops off, we did mostly wool but had to know how to load the other goods. Les.

Canopies were a regular site around Bradford and the surrounding areas in the 60s /70s

What i originally meant by JUMPERS was exactly that ,jump from the ship i was on a ship that brought back a original jumper from BLUFF NEW ZEALND a A.B. .he faired ok we all rallied round ,clothes ,■■■■, , M.V. GLOUCESTER FEDERAL BOAT and worked alongside us, i am all most sure when we paid off he received payment, he was in the salon with us paying off i do remember that.

I suspect the roaming life encouraged me to driving in fact the journal MY DRIVING HISTORY it would be CALLED" MERCHANT NAVY ON WHEEL"
I was curious how star down under emigrated? i thought he might have been a jumper? because after the ÂŁ10 scheme finished you had to have a trade and lorry driving did not comply.
not roping and sheeting i know .someone mentioned a Spanish galleon do you know what a Spanish windless is ropes involved .dbp