New Sheeting and Roping thread ! [Merged]

peggydeckboy:
What i originally meant by JUMPERS was exactly that ,jump from the ship i was on a ship that brought back a original jumper from BLUFF NEW ZEALND a A.B. .he faired ok we all rallied round ,clothes ,■■■■, , M.V. GLOUCESTER FEDERAL BOAT and worked alongside us, i am all most sure when we paid off he received payment, he was in the salon with us paying off i do remember that.

I suspect the roaming life encouraged me to driving in fact the journal MY DRIVING HISTORY it would be CALLED" MERCHANT NAVY ON WHEEL"
I was curious how star down under emigrated? i thought he might have been a jumper? because after the £10 scheme finished you had to have a trade and lorry driving did not comply.
not roping and sheeting i know .someone mentioned a Spanish galleon do you know what a Spanish windless is ropes involved .dbp

I never jumped although was tempted …left my heart in a few places :unamused: :unamused: and yes I know what a “Spanish windlass” is …used many times mostly on stowage !! them wuz the days !!!

wool truck 2.jpeg
NMP.

That first photo looks like the AEC Government Road Train SDU, the 2nd is a wonderful shot, 2 blokes apparently totally relaxed about the impending doom of their wagon. :laughing:

Spardo:
That first photo looks like the AEC Government Road Train SDU, the 2nd is a wonderful shot, 2 blokes apparently totally relaxed about the impending doom of their wagon. :laughing:

Yes David i reckon its a main hwy of the day and they know help will arrive soon. lol :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Good find SDU I reckon the bottom one could be a Brambles Mack they had a few of those in the 70s and 80s.

Dig

YES BACKSLICE,i thought you would know with a seafaring pseudonym .?was you called MATE?.

Not Brumbles Dig, but I see where you’re coming from.

wool truck.jpeg
Yep, the first one was the government road train, now preserved in the Alice Hall of Fame.

Tidy job here, Buzzer

Tidy job here, Buzzer

Still got two threads only need one, Buzzer

well buzzer stop adding to this one and merge too the main one and stop polishing a certain persons self inflated ego… :unamused: :exclamation:

Still got two threads only need one, Buzzer

m.a.n. rules’ has the situation “ sussed “ in my view ,

I remember when I bought my first trailer, a 40’ wide spread tandem with twistlocks for a 40’ 2x20’ or a 30’.
I didn’t have much left to buy sheets so went on boxes to start with, but with eagle eyes it didn’t take long to build up a collection of sheets.
Admittedly some had seen better days, but as they say:-
Eventually, I had 2 good sheets (pre-loved) and bought my first brand new sheet, a red fly sheet. I was so proud when I sheeted my first load with it, if I knew then what I know now I would have stencilled ‘Bewlocks’ on it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

> Buzzer:
> Still got two threads only need one, Buzzer

This was the Ropes & Sheets thread to discuss the tools, not the finished product - somehow the Mods merged it with the Non-Bewick Roping & Sheeting thread :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Bewick:
A bit more info on the positioning of rolled sheets and ropes on m/t trailers regarding Robsons of Carlisle well from what I understood it was a standing instruction at Robsons that the rolled sheets had to be placed at the backend of the flat so the loading of the trailer could start immediately without having to wait to move them away from the headboard . Not a bad rule/idea but it was one we never invoked at Bewick Transport ! Cheers Bewick.

Had 7 years at robsons never ever heard this about shets , not once was I told or it was common practice ,ropes and sheets , great job , work of art, so dont know how this story evolved, great job until I got made redundant at birtley

IMG_20180829_101155.png

Bewick:
A bit more info on the positioning of rolled sheets and ropes on m/t trailers regarding Robsons of Carlisle well from what I understood it was a standing instruction at Robsons that the rolled sheets had to be placed at the backend of the flat so the loading of the trailer could start immediately without having to wait to move them away from the headboard . Not a bad rule/idea but it was one we never invoked at Bewick Transport ! Cheers Bewick.

Had 7 years at robsons never ever heard this about shets , not once was I told or it was common practice ,ropes and sheets , great job , work of art, so dont know how this story evolved, great job until I got made redundant at birtley, one dads early truck’s

jonnyA:

Bewick:

Had 7 years at robsons never ever heard this about shets , not once was I told or it was common practice ,ropes and sheets , great job , work of art, so dont know how this story evolved, great job until I got made redundant at birtley

banditarbeatock-th.jpg

jonnyA:

jonnyA:

Bewick:

When I drove Robsons lorries on the United Glass contract in Kent, I did a fair bit of roped & sheeted loads. I used to rope my folded sheets on just above the trailer wheels so that I could see in my mirrors if any ropes or sheets came adrift. But this was in the '80s and I can’t remember being instructed to do this. Arguably, sheets are less likely to escape if jammed up against the headboard though!

ERF-NGC-European:

jonnyA:

jonnyA:

Bewick:

When I drove Robsons lorries on the United Glass contract in Kent, I did a fair bit of roped & sheeted loads. I used to rope my folded sheets on just above the trailer wheels so that I could see in my mirrors if any ropes or sheets came adrift. But this was in the '80s and I can’t remember being instructed to do this. Arguably, sheets are less likely to escape if jammed up against the headboard though!

I always had my rolled sheets against the headboard, and always firmly tied down, I always thought that the wind could catch them if stored further back but I can see the logic of doing so re leaving the front of the trailer for loading. Nobody ever told me otherwise though.

This is a shot of the m/t trailer rank at Milnthorpe so you can see what position the rolled sheets occupied on the flat ! The time line I was referring to regarding Robsons was in the late 60’s at a time when they ran many many 33 foot Northern trailers before 40 footers got the go ahead and then I believe it caught Robsons on the hop as the demand for 40 footers went mad like the similar panic that ensued as Curtainsiders took the industry by storm ! Cheers Bewick.