Renewing categories

My c and e is due to expire this month. As I’m for an op soon I wasn’t planning to renew until I’m fit again. Are then any issues if there’s a break in service so to speak?

No problems with leaving it until you’re ready to drive again.

Good luck with the operation :wink:

Edit: Your HGV entitlement never completely ceases it’s just suspended until you reapply for it with your completed medical form.

Sent from my mobile.

Sooperdoop.
:smiley:

Roop298:
My c and e is due to expire this month. As I’m for an op soon I wasn’t planning to renew until I’m fit again. Are then any issues if there’s a break in service so to speak?

You must renew your licence without your ce, you cannot just carry on using the same card just because the car entitlement still has years to run, your licence expires on the date shown in box 4b on the front, it’s free to do but you must renew it, then as tachograph says when you want your lgv back you take your medical and renew your licence again.

acd1202:

Roop298:

You must renew your licence without your ce, you cannot just carry on using the same card just because the car entitlement still has years to run, your licence expires on the date shown in box 4b on the front, it’s free to do but you must renew it, then as tachograph says when you want your lgv back you take your medical and renew your licence again.

I don’t think that’s correct.

You don’t have to renew the licence just because your HGV entitlement has expired, you need to renew your licence when the categories you want to use expire or before the date shown at 4b on the licence, whichever comes first.

tachograph:

acd1202:

Roop298:

You don’t have to renew the licence just because your HGV entitlement has expired, you need to renew your licence when the categories you want to use expire or before the date shown at 4b on the licence, whichever comes first.

Oh yes you do, 100% certain after having had to do some very quick form filling just a few weeks ago after having fallen foul of this believing as you do, then my car insurer asking if I realised I don’t have either a licence or therefore insurance. A call to Swansea confirmed that they were correct. Your licence expires on the date shown in 4b, the end.

acd1202:

tachograph:

acd1202:

Roop298:

Oh yes you do, 100% certain after having had to do some very quick form filling just a few weeks ago after having fallen foul of this believing as you do, then my car insurer asking if I realised I don’t have either a licence or therefore insurance. A call to Swansea confirmed that they were correct. Your licence expires on the date shown in 4b, the end.

You’ve just contradicted yourself then. Because the op didn’t say his 4b was expiring, only his CE.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
You’ve just contradicted yourself then. Because the op didn’t say his 4b was expiring, only his CE.
[/quote]
No I haven’t, he didn’t need to say. The expiry date in 4b is always the same as the first category expiry date. Therefore if the OPs ce is coming up for renewal his 4b date is also expiring.
Many, including me until recently believed that as long as the category for the vehicles you are driving is in date you have a valid licence. It isn’t, every time any category expires your licence must be renewed.

acd1202:

No I haven’t, he didn’t need to say. The expiry date in 4b is always the same as the first category expiry date. Therefore if the OPs ce is coming up for renewal his 4b date is also expiring.
Many, including me until recently believed that as long as the category for the vehicles you are driving is in date you have a valid licence. It isn’t, every time any category expires your licence must be renewed.

Ok thanks! Agreed now after looking at mine.[emoji23]
So if I want to let my ce lapse in 5 years I can renew my license but won’t need a new photo yet.

DVLA just sent me a new licence when my LGV expired without the C categories on it as the 10 year photo had not expired
The weird bit was that they extended the 4b so it had a new 10 year expiry on it :exclamation: