Documents & equipment required for international journey

Evening Gentlemen, very interesting thread, seem`s that despite our wonderful single market things have not really moved on a lot from when I was doing it in the 60s! Still you chaps have got bigger cabs for all the paperwork! Very interesting though, my fading grey cells would never remember all the documentation, and most European Policemen seem to have had a sense of reality/humour bypass when dealing with us Britons! Good luck, Cheerio for now.

Vascoingles:

roberto23:
Having the European authorisation laminated is apparently not tolerated in Germany. I know a couple of drivers who were fined last year for this. Seems to me like the common sense thing to do for the longevity of the original document but there you go!

all our drivers have the EU authorisation in plastic envelopes which can be easily opened and reclosed

You must NEVER laminate your EU Authorisation as there is an official stamp on it that proves its not a photocopy. If its laminated its not possible to inspect the stamp to ensure its an original. Too many rogue hauliers photocopying the authorisations and laminating them to cover this up… I have been with drivers that had theirs laminated to protect them and where originals, but where fined & parked up until an original was provided. Use a plastic wallet and keep all your documents together so that you can hand them over to the officials when asked for, they like things all present & correct. It also looks professional to them, lessing the likelihood of them going over the truck with a fine toothcomb, unless your documents & tacho’s are wrong of course!!!

We recently had a driver fined in Austria because they were not carrying a copy of the tachograph calibration certificate (and inspection certificate since it was more than two years since the last calibration. The (analogue) tacho head had all the correct stickers inside, but the inspector wouldn’t accept them as valid without copies of the certificates to back them up.

I do not know how it is recored when the test is carried out for the Tachograph in the UK; However over here when the tacho has been newly recalibrated, we get a sticker which is affixed on the door jamb stamped and signed by testing station , we have never been pulled up by any one when they have checked the tachograph and seen this, also that the seals are still in place , I would try appealing against this if I was you .

brit pete:
I do not know how it is recored when the test is carried out for the Tachograph in the UK; However over here when the tacho has been newly recalibrated, we get a sticker which is affixed on the door jamb stamped and signed by testing station , we have never been pulled up by any one when they have checked the tachograph and seen this, also that the seals are still in place , I would try appealing against this if I was you .

Exactly. That is what the EU tachograph regulations say.

After the equipment has been checked on installation, an installation plaque
shall be affixed to the vehicle beside the equipment or in the equipment itself
and in such a way as to be clearly visible.

After every inspection by an
approved fitter or workshop requiring a change in the setting of the installation
iteself, a new plaque must be affixed in place of the previous one.

The plaque must show at least the following details:
– name, address or trade name of the approved fitter or workshop,
– characteristic coefficient of the vehicle, in the form ‘w = … rev/km’ or ‘w
= … imp/km’,
– effective circumference of the wheel tyres in the form ‘1 = … mm’,
– the dates on which the characteristic coefficient of the vehicle was
determined and the effective measured circumference of the wheel tyres.

It sounds like the Alpine Turks have had your driver over a barrel, or maybe in it :neutral_face:

I’d be interested to know when those regs came into force - I know the sort of sticker you mean, as I’ve seen them on newer trucks with digital tachos, but they’re not on ours, which is the dial-style analogue one. At the time it was stopped (spring 2011), the truck had its initial calibration sticker from 2006, plus an inspection sticker from 2010 (IIRC).

Both stickers were inside the tacho head - long thin ones stuck around the outside rim. Whilst I think the calibration one has the name of the calibration centre, date and signature (but nothing else), the inspection one only had the date and signature. The enforcement bloke refused to accept they were valid, accusing us of forging them, even though I know that they’ve been done by an approved tacho centre.

One of the two trucks was only recalibrated early last year, and I know that one doesn’t have the detailed sticker you’re suggesting.

I wonder if we’ve been done over by the tacho centre…

MrFlibble:
I’d be interested to know when those regs came into force - I know the sort of sticker you mean, as I’ve seen them on newer trucks with digital tachos, but they’re not on ours, which is the dial-style analogue one. At the time it was stopped (spring 2011), the truck had its initial calibration sticker from 2006, plus an inspection sticker from 2010 (IIRC).

Both stickers were inside the tacho head - long thin ones stuck around the outside rim. Whilst I think the calibration one has the name of the calibration centre, date and signature (but nothing else), the inspection one only had the date and signature. The enforcement bloke refused to accept they were valid, accusing us of forging them, even though I know that they’ve been done by an approved tacho centre.

One of the two trucks was only recalibrated early last year, and I know that one doesn’t have the detailed sticker you’re suggesting.

I wonder if we’ve been done over by the tacho centre…

An analogue tachograph needs recalibrating every 6 years and inspecting every 2 years.

Remove all existing inspection/calibration plaques and replace with a new calibration plaque.

I doubt you are going to get much joy now, from last spring, but striking whilst the iron was hot may have saved the company money and delays.

You can request to see the records from your tachograph calibration centre. They must record all the plaques issued for 6 years on the form GV212

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/G … 202008.pdf

Wheel Nut:
An analogue tachograph needs recalibrating every 6 years and inspecting every 2 years.

I know, which is why I figured that a 5-year-old calibration sticker and a 1-year-old inspection sticker were sufficient.

Hi all,

Needed now in all trucks when in Europe…

Breathalyzer.

Where will all this end…

truckertang:
Hi all,

Breathalyzer.

Where will all this end…

posting nonsense like this might confuse someone venturing into europe for the first time and looking for factual stuff that they actually need

welshboyinspain:

truckertang:
Hi all,

Breathalyzer.

Where will all this end…

posting nonsense like this might confuse someone venturing into europe for the first time and looking for factual stuff that they actually need

Agreed, at the moment it is not law, it has been proposed along with intervention devices fitted to regular drunkards cars.

There is hell on at the moment as tabacs and bars are being forced to fit electronic machines for customers to use as they leave the premises.

Cafe owners are up in arms, they say after the smoking ban, the warnings on wine bottles and this, the government are trying to close us down

newmercman:
Spain is the same with the Hi Viz thing :unamused:

Had a bloke screaming at me for not wearing one the other day, he was at least 500yds away when he started giving me the Oi driver treatment, when he got closer I replied that if he could see me from that far away then I obviously didn’t need one :laughing: Sense of humour failure followed & I am now banned from site :unamused:

LOVE IT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have had my EU Authorisation laminated do i just sent it back to vosa and ask for a replacement

critical:
I have had my EU Authorisation laminated do i just sent it back to vosa and ask for a replacement

Nah, you can be a test case.

But if it was me, then I would and keep it in a folder like everyone else, would you laminate an MOT certificate?

all the companies i worked for in the past had it laminated so i thought i would do the same, few weeks after i read this forum and every one is getting nicked for it, so want to get a replacement, the original can stay laminated, just the 1 for truck needs changing

dieseldave:

woodlands:

Coffeeholic:
DOCUMENTS FOR VEHICLE & DRIVER

Certified copy of the Community Authorisation. NOT the original copy which must stay in the office.

Being thick, what is this and where can I get copy to get certified? :blush:

Hi woodlands, you’re not thick mate, cos it’s a perfectly good question.

AFAIK, the vehicle operator keeps the original of the Community Authorisation at base, and each vehicle driver is given a certified copy.

If you’re an employed driver, the obtaining of certified copies is the boss’ responsibility.
Sufficient certified copies covering the number of vehicles authorised on the International ‘O’ licence are sent to him at the time that the ‘O’ licence is issued. Of course, the boss should inform the TC if there are changes to the fleet so that the records can be kept up-to-date and new (original) certified copies issued as neccessary.

I have a business with a 3.5 ton LWB Sprinter delivering household goods into France and picking up furniture bought on-line from individuals and second hand shops for dealers over here.
Do I need one of these certificates, even though I don’t need an O licence, but purely because I’m transporting goods commercially in France?

According to VOSA, apparently not.

jayseabea:

dieseldave:

woodlands:

Coffeeholic:
DOCUMENTS FOR VEHICLE & DRIVER

Certified copy of the Community Authorisation. NOT the original copy which must stay in the office.

Being thick, what is this and where can I get copy to get certified? :blush:

Hi woodlands, you’re not thick mate, cos it’s a perfectly good question.

AFAIK, the vehicle operator keeps the original of the Community Authorisation at base, and each vehicle driver is given a certified copy.

If you’re an employed driver, the obtaining of certified copies is the boss’ responsibility.
Sufficient certified copies covering the number of vehicles authorised on the International ‘O’ licence are sent to him at the time that the ‘O’ licence is issued. Of course, the boss should inform the TC if there are changes to the fleet so that the records can be kept up-to-date and new (original) certified copies issued as neccessary.

I have a business with a 3.5 ton LWB Sprinter delivering household goods into France and picking up furniture bought on-line from individuals and second hand shops for dealers over here.
Do I need one of these certificates, even though I don’t need an O licence, but purely because I’m transporting goods commercially in France?

In that case No

Here are a couple of documents you should read, it will help you decide which country is the best one to use the magnets

Fine comparisons in the EU

Sanctions of the EU

DONT FORGET A SPARE WHEEL ON THE TRAILER IN SPAIN, IT COST ME A LOT OF MONEY AT THE SANCTI SPIRITUS TRUCK STOP ON MY WAY TO LISBON.