Documents & equipment required for international journey

Midlife64:
I’m an expat living in the Czech Republic,
I’ve been doing the same route every week from the Czech Republic to Solihull for. The last six years,
last week was no problem but this week I’ve just been told that I need a covid test before entering France but I can’t find any info about it ,any help ■■ .
Heading over to the UK via Dunkerque today around 22:00.
Thanks smifffy.

You can get the test at Manston airfield in Kent also Hopwood services which would be handy for Solihull

Midlife64:
I’m an expat living in the Czech Republic,
I’ve been doing the same route every week from the Czech Republic to Solihull for. The last six years,
last week was no problem but this week I’ve just been told that I need a covid test before entering France but I can’t find any info about it ,any help ■■ .
Heading over to the UK via Dunkerque today around 22:00.
Thanks smifffy.

You can get the test at Manston airfield in Kent also Hopwood services which would be handy for Solihull

Thanks for your reply Mazz , I know I can get a test done at Cherwell valley services on the M40 (like last week) but I’ve been told that I need a test to enter France from Belgium.
Thanks smifffy.

Midlife64:
Thanks for your reply Mazz , I know I can get a test done at Cherwell valley services on the M40 (like last week) but I’ve been told that I need a test to enter France from Belgium.
Thanks smifffy.

Didn’t realise that was now a requirement fair one, would imagine this is going to cause all sorts of problems both in terms of testing and policing, during the last lockdown the French authorities at the borders seemed to work office hours. Although easier to enforce for drivers heading for boats as I’m sure it’ll be no proof of test no booking.

wiki.unece.org/display/CTRBSBC/France

This is an up to date site which may be of interest - coming to France

[quote=
When I was on the Herald of Freeloaders and it sunk, if I had not had my spare hi-viz on the seat and they would never have found me either.[/quote]
I was booked on the Herald of Free Enterprise and due to the Krauts habit of loading Foreign trucks last so they had to rush for the border, I missed the sailing.
There was so much traffic around Zeebrugge, Due to sightseers, apparently the Square Heads laid on coaches for sightseers and were eventually turned around at Archen and Venlo. I parked up in the Truck Stop at Zeebrugge and stayed there for a few days. I committed cabotage for 3 months after that, I reckon instead of dead time trying to get a boat, I made more money by having trailers shipped over to me. The terminals in both Zeebrugge and Oostende we over flowing and using the corridor to Calais was a pain in the rear end.

Hazardous goods require a DGN (Dangerous Goods Note) for shipping/rail company. If you are carrying flammable it must have the flash point on also.

You also need your information in writing (TREM card) you must have copies in the language of the driver and the language of every country you are transiting.

When transiting Belgium you will need one copy French and one copy in Dutch.

You will need to place hazard warning stickers (diamonds) on trailer for shipping.

You can carry your own or the shipping company will supply them; for a fee.

I’m editing to add. ADR Europe requires that you have two flashing beacons for front and rear of vehicle, and they must work. Take appropriate batteries but do not put in lamp until needed that way they will stay fresh.

What is this new idea that a Hi Viz vest should be visible?, if you get my drift!

It seems that the vest must be on display to all and sundry

Spain is the same with the Hi Viz thing :unamused:

Had a bloke screaming at me for not wearing one the other day, he was at least 500yds away when he started giving me the Oi driver treatment, when he got closer I replied that if he could see me from that far away then I obviously didn’t need one :laughing: Sense of humour failure followed & I am now banned from site :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
What is this new idea that a Hi Viz vest should be visible?, if you get my drift!

If it’s not the driver sporting it while driving its the passenger seat. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

And another abomination, what’s the deal with drivers wearing their Hi Viz while actually on the train or ferry? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

If it’s not the driver sporting it while driving its the passenger seat. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

And another abomination, what’s the deal with drivers wearing their Hi Viz while actually on the train or ferry? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

When I was torpedoed, oh sorry wrong thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was on the Herald of Freeloaders and it sunk, if I had not had my spare hi-viz on the seat and they would never have found me either.

Wheel Nut:

As I understand it, your vest doesn’t have to be on display. But if it isn’t, you are likely to be stopped, so they can check you’ve got one (for each person in the vehicle). Once you’ve been stopped, they will of course check everything else :open_mouth: :unamused:

Furthermore to the hi-viz subject, am I right in thinking that its orange for some countries but yellow for others?
It’s also recommended to carry an International Driving Permit - available at main Post Offices or AA Dover.

Sorry to correct you robB39, but some of what you’ve put is possibly a little misleading.

robB39:
Hazardous goods require a DGN (Dangerous Goods Note) for shipping/rail company. If you are carrying flammable it must have the flash point on also.

IMDG requires the flashpoint to be declared only if the flashpoint is below 60 deg. C.
The flashpoint isn’t required by the rail Regs (RID.)
IMDG and RID are completely separate sets of Regs, and lumping them together can only lead to confusion IMHO. :wink:
Eg. neither IMDG nor RID have a requirement for Tremcards, whereas ADR does, but only once there’s more than a certain amount of dangerous goods on board.

robB39:
You also need your information in writing (TREM card) you must have copies in the language of the driver and the language of every country you are transiting.

But only if the load exceeds the relevant ADR threshold limit.
If it does then the info you gave is correct, but you’d also need IIWs for the languages of the country of origin and the country of destination.

robB39:
When transiting Belgium you will need one copy French and one copy in Dutch.

ADR clearly allows for this to be the case, but I’ve no idea as to whether the Belgian Competent Authority requires it.

robB39:
You will need to place hazard warning stickers (diamonds) on trailer for shipping.

You can carry your own or the shipping company will supply them; for a fee.

That might be problematic sometimes, since you’d also need a UN number on or next to the placards for shipments of the same “stuff” in excess of 4,000kgs under the IMDG Code. That’s not a bad idea though, because you’d only have to buy the “half height” panels with UN numbers on when you exceed 4,000kgs, which probably wouldn’t be every trip.

Here’s a powerpoint slide from my IMDG stuff: (No copyright issues here. :sunglasses: )

robB39:
I’m editing to add. ADR Europe requires that you have two flashing beacons for front and rear of vehicle, and they must work. Take appropriate batteries but do not put in lamp until needed that way they will stay fresh.

Taking this as you’ve worded it, it would leave drivers thinking that they need flashing beacons when carrying an ADR regulated load,
which isn’t quite true as they’re only an OPTION
What ADR actually requires is “two self-standing warning signs” which may be reflective cones or triangles OR flashing amber lights. IMHO, two triangles is the easiest option by far, because they take only a little space and don’t rely on batteries. BTW, if the orange flashing lights option is used, the lights MUST be independant of the vehicle’s electrical system.

Since we’re on the subject of ADR, we shouldn’t forget our wheel chocks (2 for an artic or wag and drag, and 1 for a rigid) which must be suitable for the weight of the vehicle and the diameter of the wheels. There’s also a requirement for a pocket lamp and a hi-viz for each member of the vehicle crew. In some cases, a respiratory protective device is also required.

To develop this list a little further:
As from 01/01/08, the requirements for fire extinguishers are:

Carriage in Limited Quantities. (Per individual package)
IF you’re carrying Limited Quantities (LQs) you don’t need any extinguishers.
IF you carry LQs with extinguishers on board, then that’s OK, since you’d have more than the minimum of nil. :wink:

Carriage below threshold. (= total weight/literage of all packages on vehicle not exempted by LQs)
IF you’re carrying a load that’s NOT packaged in LQs, but below the threshold, then you’ll need:
1 X 2kg (usually) dry powder extinguisher suitable for fighting a fire in the engine or the cab of the vehicle.
Something like this:
or this
In larger vehicles than those shown in the pics, the 2kg extinguisher can be mounted on the framework below the driver’s seat.

Carriage in excess of ADR threshold ( ie, when ADR applies in full)

You’ll need the 2kg extinguisher as above, PLUS one more extinguisher depending on the permitted G.V.W. of your vehicle as follows:
(The actual weight of goods that you’re carrying is irrelevant here :wink: )

Permitted G.V.W. less than 3,500 kgs needs ANOTHER 2kg extinguisher as above, making a total of 4kgs.

Permitted G.V.W. between 3,500kgs and less than 7,500kgs needs ANOTHER 6kg extinguisher making a total of 8kgs

Permitted G.V.W over 7,500kgs ie ANY LGV needs ANOTHER 10kg extinguisher making a total of 12kgs
Once the vehicle is an LGV, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a rigid, wag and drag or an artic :wink:

My suggestion for ADR compliance for LGVs is to consider having extinguishers of the following sizes: 2kg + 6kg + 6kg = 14kg. With the minimum requirement being 12kgs for an LGV, there’s no problem in being 2 kg to the good. The 6kg extinguishers are quite plentiful and 2 of them might work out cheaper than a single 10kg extinguisher.
:bulb: Remember, 12kg is a minimum, not a maximum. :wink:

On most vehicles, the larger of the extinguishers is carried outside the vehicle in some kind of protective covering,
something like this:

Other requirements:

1. Extinguishers must be of an approved type ie. bear the CE mark.

2. Extinguishers must be periodically inspected and bear a label / sticker showing the next due date of inspection

3. Extinguishers must be fitted with a seal AND pin
    Something like this:

4. Extinguishers must be protected from the effects of the weather.

5. Extinguishers must be easily accessible.

In the event that 1 and 2 and 3 above aren’t complied with, you’ll be done for not having an extinguisher.

If that little lot weren’t enough, there’s ALSO an ADR requirement that all items of PPE and intervention equipment as specified on the IIWs are on board the vehicle.

As usual, quotes are available upon request.:grimacing:

gb1:
Furthermore to the hi-viz subject, am I right in thinking that its orange for some countries but yellow for others?

Hi gb1, I’d guess that the colour of hi-viz might be a matter for each country to decide, but I’ve got no info on that one way or the other.

There is a requirement for a Europe Standard EN471 hi-viz to be carried on an ADR regulated journey, but there is no colour specified in ADR either.:grimacing:

dieseldave, you do need both FRENCH & DUTCH
cards for Belgian, as depending in which part of
the country you are one half speaks french the other half
speaks dutch, andthose nearest to germany speak
german as well, the offical languages are French,
and Dutch,

IMDG loads only,(not–adr—haz )
for the sign posting of IMDG loads, when we load in
germany , the loader supplies the relevant signs
which you need for the docks, also up to now
when i have required extra signs then the dock
staff have supplied these at no costs,

brit pete:
dieseldave, you do need both FRENCH & DUTCH
cards for Belgian, as depending in which part of
the country you are one half speaks french the other half
speaks dutch, andthose nearest to germany speak
german as well, the offical languages are French,
and Dutch,

As I said above, it’s perfectly possible that the Belgians require both languages. ADR says that this is possible, but I have no ** quotable facts** one way or the other on that point.
The Belgian Competent Authority will be the ultimate arbiter on that point, but the suggestion of needing both languages sounds very logical IMHO.

brit pete:
IMDG loads only,(not–adr—haz )
for the sign posting of IMDG loads, when we load in
germany , the loader supplies the relevant signs
which you need for the docks, also up to now
when i have required extra signs then the dock
staff have supplied these at no costs,

This will depend on which shipping line is involved Pete. IMDG says when and which type of placards are required, but it says nothing about who should supply them. Some ferry companies do make a charge, whilst others don’t. In any case, it’s perfectly possible that you’re nowhere near needing orange boards under ADR, but when you get to the docks you might find that you need placards, because IMDG works very differently to ADR.:grimacing:

think it’s 2 warning triangles in spain
boss gave me 2 said always show 2 to guardia civil

Are fire extingushers[sp] compulsary in Belguim, I’ve got a “Phillips European Map Book” and in the front is list of compulsary/recommended equipment that needs to be carried. Now I know its for cars but a fire extinguisher is compulsary in Belguim, had a chat with our T/M and euro planner and they are not sure. We don’t do ADR, we’re a reefer only company.

Can anybody help please.

Thanx

CG2

If you do not carry HAZERDOUS–ADR goods then a 6 kilo
extingquisher in the cabin for small fires, is all that you
need. There is a list some where ,and it shows I belive that mainly
the scandinavian countrys and eastern block countrys require that
a fire extingquisher,for small brands is carried,
IT makes sense to carry one
of the 6kilo size as you may find it will one day
save you haveing problems when a fire does occur