Ferry crossing and driving/rest hours

dieseldog999:
some ships,for example the birkenhead/belfast then one your in the queue,you dont get a clear run to load.you could be shuffling up closer to the boad like gridlock traffic once they start to load.it looks like your still driving half a mile in a traffic jam.

OK thanks, presumably the problem is wasted driving/working time which can result in more down time and will also leave less available time for the next daily rest interruption if there’s going to be one.

What is correct.??Start at 1000 am and go to .About 1500 go to ferry and simply closed country and put yo rest.About 11pm back to truck press ferry mode and drive of for parking and stay fir 6 hour in rest again.Some people talk who need press ferry at time when just come to ferry.

Ferry breaks are simple, if the crossing you are to take is shorter than a daily rest reduced or regular just remember to be at the exit port and parked in the lanes no more than 12 hours from your starting time ( this is to include your 1 hour allowed movements ).
Park in the lanes and place on rest, end country and ferry mode ( this will clear your first movement onto the ship ), once onboard press rest and ferry mode, if the total time of the first two breaks is 11hrs drive off and carry on with your journey, if not then drive off find parking and complete your rest, so long as you’ve taken a total of 11 hours plus any movements within your 24 hour spread over and you have not exceeded your max daily driving limit its legal.

Start 05:00
Deliveries / collections
Arrive port 16:30
In lanes 16:45
Rest / end country / ferry mode
Ferry 20:30 ( 15 mins movement )
Rest / ferry mode
Arrive 0:30
Disembark 0:45 and find parking ( max 45 mins drive allowed )
Park complete remainder of 11 hour rest
Start 04:45 other work / begin country

Hi all, sorry to ■■■■ in on this thread!
i,m having my first ferry trip to Belfast from Birkenhead Tues morning. Looks like there is some really good advice here but would like some help.
i,m going to start my shift at 22:00 tonight and the ferry departs at 03:30 Tues morning. When you park up at the docks waiting for the ferry, do you put it on break at that point or ferry mode then break. Some have suggested you dont put it on ferry mode until you are on the boat.

The ferry arrives in belfast about 011:00 Tues morning then there is a 10 minute drive to where we park up. We wont be starting our next shift until Wednesday morning, (easy life!!)

We are actually taking a week to do 1 days work with 2 nights in an hotel with meals included!!! :smiley:

paulant18:
i,m having my first ferry trip to Belfast from Birkenhead Tues morning. Looks like there is some really good advice here but would like some help.
i,m going to start my shift at 22:00 tonight and the ferry departs at 03:30 Tues morning. When you park up at the docks waiting for the ferry, do you put it on break at that point or ferry mode then break. Some have suggested you dont put it on ferry mode until you are on the boat.

The ferry arrives in belfast about 011:00 Tues morning then there is a 10 minute drive to where we park up. We wont be starting our next shift until Wednesday morning, (easy life!!)

We are actually taking a week to do 1 days work with 2 nights in an hotel with meals included!!! :smiley:

Also, you dont need to change country do you? its still UK

paulant18:

paulant18:

Also, you dont need to change country do you? its still UK

Get to the port get checked in ,go to lanes ,Rest. Put in end country
When called to board ,Put to ferry mode
When on board ,back on rest ,if you had 11 hours Plus shunt on board taken before getting off ,then just start country and crack on ,
If not 11 taken ,use ferry again go and park up back to rest .
Use ferry just before boarding .

As has been said several times, you are allowed two interuptions to your rest, for moving on and off a ferry or train.
The time allowed is 1 hour spread over both movements.
As everything has to fit into the 24 hours from the time you start day 1 until the time you start day 2, you should arrive and be parked up on the dock no more than 12 hours after you started, to give you that 1 hours movement time.
It isn’t essential that you use it for every ferry journey. Only if time parked on the ferry is less than 9 hours and you need to get a rest in. If you’ll get 9 hours + on the ferry and you’ve got a 9 hr rest available, you don’t need to do any of this. Humber crossings to European ports are well over 11 hours, so there’s no need for ferry mode. Just log off for the country you’re in, rest, log on for the disembarkation country, go.

Using ferry ‘mode’.
1 arrive at dock, park up, log off on your tacho and put it on rest.
2 on being told to board the ferry/train, go through the menu and press ferry mode.
3 board ferry/train, put it back on rest
4 in the arrival port, if your total rest so far doesn’t equal 11 hours, just before moving again press ferry mode.
4a if you’ve already got 11 hours rest in total, you’re good to go, jump to step 6
5 Drive off, find somewhere to park up asap, put it back on rest.
6 Once you have 11 hours total rest, log back on to start your shift including start country. You’re good to go.[/list:u]

Pressing ferry mode puts a ‘flag’ on your tacho record, it isn’t a ‘mode’ as such, like driving, rest etc are.
You put the flag on your tacho records just before each movement, to inform whoever wants to look at your records that this movement was for going aboard or disembarking from a ferry or train.

Just a quick question,

On arriving at a French port. On nigh on 13 hours to: ie. Start 0415. Park in dock 1715. Can I move onto ferry after this time? Using ferry mode before I move of course. Tho I have booked off and entered end country. Thanks

Legally no ,as with your shunt onto ferry takes you overtime for it all to fit in 24 hours ,but personally if my 11 hours were up once getting off ferry I would get on the boat .

bossman:
Legally no ,as with your shunt onto ferry takes you overtime for it all to fit in 24 hours ,but personally if my 11 hours were up once getting off ferry I would get on the boat .

I think you’re incorrect bossman. You ARE allowed to interupt your daily break in order to board or alight the ferry.

barrykam:

bossman:

I think you’re incorrect bossman. You ARE allowed to interupt your daily break in order to board or alight the ferry.[/quote

You are allowed to interrupt your rest to get on and off the ferry provided you have the time to do so arriving at the port 12hrs 59mins into your spread does not allow any time for the movements on and off in effect if you are going to use the full shunt then you must arrive at the port at the 12 hour point in your spread, the whole of your 11 hour break must finish within 24 hours of your start time

barrykam:

bossman:

I think you’re incorrect bossman. You ARE allowed to interupt your daily break in order to board or alight the ferry.

Yes but if you’ve already done 13 hours before parking up and you then interrupt the rest period you will not be able to complete an 11 hour rest period within the period of 24 hours.

When interrupting a daily rest period the 11 hour rest period and any interruptions should be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift just like any other daily rest period.

Sent from my mobile.

Mazzer2:

barrykam:

bossman:

[/quote

You are allowed to interrupt your rest to get on and off the ferry provided you have the time to do so arriving at the port 12hrs 59mins into your spread does not allow any time for the movements on and off in effect if you are going to use the full shunt then you must arrive at the port at the 12 hour point in your spread, the whole of your 11 hour break must finish within 24 hours of your start time

Isn’t that what I said ?

tachograph:

barrykam:

bossman:

Yes but if you’ve already done 13 hours before parking up and you then interrupt the rest period you will not be able to complete an 11 hour rest period within the period of 24 hours.

When interrupting a daily rest period the 11 hour rest period and any interruptions should be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift just like any other daily rest period.

Sent from my mobile.

Exactly .

Im surprised I don’t get more infringements sometimes. :wink:

Been using ferry mode a couple of times a week lately without a thought for the 24hr rule just remembering I can’t use a 9hr break and add minutes moving on to the 11hr.

mrginge:

Been using ferry mode a couple of times a week lately without a thought for the 24hr rule just remembering I can’t use a 9hr break and add minutes moving on to the 11hr.

Obviously not working hard enough.
I’m surprised your boss actually turns a profit.
:wink:

Franglais:

mrginge:

Obviously not working hard enough.
I’m surprised your boss actually turns a profit.
:wink:

My boss/owner has just retired to his life of leisure so he must have quoted jobs accordingly haha

POST DELETED.

lewn777:
I’ got some infringements a few weeks ago none this week. Here’s my take for anyone new/confused by ferry mode:

-The law says 11 hour rest period, but if you take a 9 hour reduced rest providing you still have one remaining that week you’ll be fine. You’re basically flagging a legal rest as why you moved so legal rest is legal rest.

-Start Ferry mode just before you move on to the ferry, turn it off when aboard and movements have finished. Start ferry mode again before disembarking and leave on until you find a legal place to rest unless rest has already been 9 hours or more/legal amount total.

-Do not allow the tacho to go to rest/POA if you stop/turn off your engine/ignition during embarking or disembarking, this will count as a movement, more than two movements and this will show up as insufficient rest infringement. Ferry mode defualts to other work and drive when the engine is running despite tacho set-up. Monitor the tacho and make sure it never goes to rest or POA, if it does manually reselect other work within 30 seconds.

-Make certain that tacho is set to rest when you leave your lorry on the boat and go to your cabin.

-Doesn’t matter much about countries - when you log out of a country or log in to a new one, or forget entirely doesn’t cause an infringement, but it’s something you should do.

-Doesn’t matter about changing the time, if entering a new time zone. doesn’t cause an infringement as tacho uses to UTC as default.

For anyone new/confused by ferry mode:

The only correct point made above is “Make certain that tacho is set to rest when you leave your lorry on the boat and go to your cabin.”

Every other point made is incorrect.

barrykam:

lewn777:
I’ got some infringements a few weeks ago none this week. Here’s my take for anyone new/confused by ferry mode:

-The law says 11 hour rest period, but if you take a 9 hour reduced rest providing you still have one remaining that week you’ll be fine. You’re basically flagging a legal rest as why you moved so legal rest is legal rest.

-Start Ferry mode just before you move on to the ferry, turn it off when aboard and movements have finished. Start ferry mode again before disembarking and leave on until you find a legal place to rest unless rest has already been 9 hours or more/legal amount total.

-Do not allow the tacho to go to rest/POA if you stop/turn off your engine/ignition during embarking or disembarking, this will count as a movement, more than two movements and this will show up as insufficient rest infringement. Ferry mode defualts to other work and drive when the engine is running despite tacho set-up. Monitor the tacho and make sure it never goes to rest or POA, if it does manually reselect other work within 30 seconds.

-Make certain that tacho is set to rest when you leave your lorry on the boat and go to your cabin.

-Doesn’t matter much about countries - when you log out of a country or log in to a new one, or forget entirely doesn’t cause an infringement, but it’s something you should do.

-Doesn’t matter about changing the time, if entering a new time zone. doesn’t cause an infringement as tacho uses to UTC as default.

For anyone new/confused by ferry mode:

The only correct point made above is “Make certain that tacho is set to rest when you leave your lorry on the boat and go to your cabin.”

Every other point made is incorrect.

Ferry mode is not a '‘mode’. When you scroll down through the menu and click that ‘mode’, what you are doing is inserting a flag on your tachograph recording to show that this movement is for the purpose of boarding/disembarking a ferry or train. There is no need to switch it off, because you haven’t switched anything on.

When you arrive at the ferry terminal and park up, log off as the end of shift.
Just before you start the movement to start boarding the ferry, you scroll through the menu and click ferry movement. You can stop and start as often as necessary, your tacho can record whatever it is set to record when the wheels stop turning, it makes no difference.
Once parked up on the ferry, switch to rest. Do not log off shift for a second time.

You can potentially have completed your 11 hours rest (or a split rest), plus movement time, before starting to move off the ferry. If you have, log on shift and start your days work.

If not, just before moving, scroll through the menu again and click ferry movement again. Do not log on shift.
Disembark, go through whatever procedures are required and park up again. Switch your tacho to rest and complete your 11 hours rest.
The total movement time, of both movements, must not exceed 1 hour. This includes both the actual time driving and any time spent waiting in a queue.
When your 11 hour rest, plus movement time, is completed, log on shift and start your days work.

The rules state that only a regular daily rest period may be interrupted in this way. Therefore you cannot use a ferry movement during a 9 hour rest period.
The UK government have produced a booklet for your guidance, this is available on-line, here is a link to it - gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles.
There is a section in it, with diagrams, specifically about ferry movements during a regular rest period.

Since Brexit, we are no longer subject to EU rules, like Switzerland isn’t. We ARE subject to AETR rules, like Switzerland is.
There is no difference between EU rules and AETR rules, essentially they are one and the same.

Your digi-tachograph is designed to record in UTC (GMT to ordinary folk), you cannot change this, other than the 1 minute per week adjustment for any ‘wandering’ of the clock.
You can change the displayed time any time you like, to display the time of any zone you want it to display. This does not change the recorded time from UTC.