Tacho. Ferries.

I think I know the answer to this one but would like the advice of the experts out there, please.
Start 00hr00.
Arrive port, do security, tickets etc by 10hr00 after total drive time of 8hrs.
Boat departs at 11hr00, so book off after getting on boat, thereby keeping a full hour to disembarque.
Ferry takes the normal 6 hours to get you across.
Off boat, do WaterGuard etc, if all ok do it in 60mins, park up until, 23hrs (11hr00 start time 6hrs rest on ferry, one hr move off, 5hrs rest on shore).
So far, so good. Now the question.
Now, if the move off the ferry exceeds the 60mins allowed, can any of the rest time taken count towards a break?
Seems to me not, so a 9hr break must be taken.
Are long queues for immigration/customs etc “unforeseen” events? Id guess that if it happens once or twice a year maybe so, but if regular it cant be can it? So maybe getting on a ferry when there is foreseeable chance of going over the allowed 1 hour interruption to disembarque is not allowable? One should then ensure the break is complete before ferry docks in port.
And as a related point why is that in Pompey the ferries from Le Havre and Caen dock within 15mins of each other? 2 boats trying to discharge at the same time into a very limited space is incomprehensible to me. Is there a reason for it??

If on ferry mode, after no more than 13 hrs spread AS YOU NEED 11 hrs REGULAR REST! To do the two manoeuvres ( embark and disembark ) not totalling one hour then the answer is NO. Both ferries at roughly the same time is taking the Mick! Just looking for illegal immigrants :grimacing:

Ta. I can see that looking for stowaways takes time but as we agree two boats at the same time seems insane. Sometimes the boats can`t even discharge as the vehicles queuing for checks block up back to the linkspan.

Did you have a bunk etc on the ferry :question:

The rules are set -
Everything must fit within 24 hours
Max total of 1 hour for ferry movement(s)

I would imagine that unforeseen circumstances would allow for a little over-run as long as a manual entry was done explaining why

I’ve always asked why the hell those 2 dock within 15 mins of each other. Winter time isn’t too much of a problem, but in the summer months it’s a complete nightmare. Not only do you have the problems of 2 boats unloading into 6 lanes which split for immigration onto 4 booths to the right for freight traffic and 8 to the left (of which there is normally only 4 open :angry: ) for tourist traffic, but there is the traffic flow of freight and tourist traffic arriving at the port to go to other lanes waiting to board crossing your path. If the port of Portsmouth was the size of Dover there wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s such a bottleneck. As the saying goes they’re trying to put a pint into a half pint pot. And the port marshals haven’t got a scooby on how to handle it.

ROG:
Did you have a bunk etc on the ferry :question:

The rules are set -
Everything must fit within 24 hours
Max total of 1 hour for ferry movement(s)

I would imagine that unforeseen circumstances would allow for a little over-run as long as a manual entry was done explaining why

Yes bunks etc all there. My concern is when the projected interruption of one hour overruns. It seems that any breaks taken are not counted at all. So a full 9 must be taken. I can see that a reasonable Police/Gendarme may take a fair attitude to an extended interruption, but it`s always the jobsworths that cause the pain.
Thanks for input.

pierrot 14:
I’ve always asked why the hell those 2 dock within 15 mins of each other. Winter time isn’t too much of a problem, but in the summer months it’s a complete nightmare. Not only do you have the problems of 2 boats unloading into 6 lanes which split for immigration onto 4 booths to the right for freight traffic and 8 to the left (of which there is normally only 4 open :angry: ) for tourist traffic, but there is the traffic flow of freight and tourist traffic arriving at the port to go to other lanes waiting to board crossing your path. If the port of Portsmouth was the size of Dover there wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s such a bottleneck. As the saying goes they’re trying to put a pint into a half pint pot. And the port marshals haven’t got a scooby on how to handle it.

Exactly so. Ive spoken with some of the Marshals and they can see the same problem as us, of course. They too dont know the reason for the timetable, at least those Ive spoken to. Quart/Pint Pot? Seems a new boat is on the blocks due in 2017? So if that goes on the Spanish run the Pont Aven could end up in Caen maybe?? Maybe Pompey council will throw a few more skip loads of rubble in the water to increase the quay size? Or maybe make an offer to buy Whale Island? The Navy could afford those new Carriers theyre after then.

Who do you run for Franglais, must keep an eye out for you. PM me if you don’t want all and sundry to see. Thanks for the correct quote btw quart/pint pot

In the nineties, you could park overnight or for the weekend inside Portsmouth ferry terminal .
Tractor units by the cafe.
Handy to walk to town, then it all changed to get out of the docks off the ferry.
Good little bar in the tourist terminal .
The Royal Navy has loads of space that could be used to expand the port, I bet they don’t use half of it .
I was told by security not to jog around the trailer park, health and safety reason they said .

Ferries bigger than in the 90s and the extra land thevport had acquiired since then is soon full. Parking very restricted and expensive. Ship & Castle does good food still but gotta lay off beer in case of being breathalysed in the lanes!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk