BCA sherness assessment

Hi guys new pass here !

Just wanted to know people’s opinion on BCA as a first job from passing my test . As I have assessment drive next Wednesday. I need some more money bad as only on 360 a week in the engineering industry. From what I’ve read it’s going to be hard physical work which I can do . Just worried a bit and need some advice .

Thanks

Mattdriver1:
Hi guys new pass here !

Just wanted to know people’s opinion on BCA as a first job from passing my test . As I have assessment drive next Wednesday. I need some more money bad as only on 360 a week in the engineering industry. From what I’ve read it’s going to be hard physical work which I can do . Just worried a bit and need some advice .

Thanks

Judging by one or two I’ve seen driving for them recently, they will take anyone with a pulse!

Jimmy McNulty:

Mattdriver1:
Hi guys new pass here !

Thanks

Judging by one or two I’ve seen driving for them recently, they will take anyone with a pulse!

Ha I was going to say the same thing

I left last year after being there a few years so my knowledge is fairly recent but some things may have changed.

If you’ve got a cool head then you’ll be alright. There’s an awful lot to think about even for an experienced driver so it’s not the ideal first job in the industry in that regard. But take your time, ask questions and don’t chase the money when you’re new and it’s doable.

Money and t’s & c’s aren’t bad but you will work hard for it and the job is constant hassle these days (hence I’m not there anymore :laughing: )

If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to answer.

Good luck

Hi thanks crunch13

A few questions: how does the 4 on 4 off work ? Do you finish on the 4th day like the evening or on the morning of the 5th day .

From what I have read is there many pick ups from housing estates and how tricky are the pick ups ? Or is it main dealers you had to deal with ?

How good is the training?

As a new start what sort of money would I be looking at ?

Th aka for your advice it’s much appreciated

Money depends on the contract. Sensible Auction contract is a slap in the face, Walon 2 pay and T+Cs are acceptable.

Always check your height. Don’t rush after money as you WILL damage stuff and they’ll only tolerate so much. If you’re on the Walon agreement (Which you will be) it’ll be a mix of new car work and auction work. You won’t realistically be going into housing estates in an 11+, but that does depend on your allocator…

Hi thanks for reply don’t really understand those pay structures as I’ve been told it’s 140 for 9 hours , 185 for 12 , 26 for night out and a poxy 5 a day for food.

Are you able to explain?
Th aka

Mattdriver1:
Hi thanks crunch13

A few questions: how does the 4 on 4 off work ? Do you finish on the 4th day like the evening or on the morning of the 5th day .

From what I have read is there many pick ups from housing estates and how tricky are the pick ups ? Or is it main dealers you had to deal with ?

How good is the training?

As a new start what sort of money would I be looking at ?

Th aka for your advice it’s much appreciated

Back on your 4th day.

I’m surprised house deliveries are still an issue. It was agreed about 2 years ago that we weren’t doing them in an 11+ but they did try it on from time to time. If they ever gave me any to residential addresses I either used to leave the cars off the load or take them to the nearest auction to the delivery address depending on what mood I was in. Set your stall out from the start and just refuse. They might try and say you have to ring the customer and meet them but don’t do it, it’s just a ball ache. Join the union and they’ll back you up on that.

Training was good when I did it tbf.

If you’re doing 4 on 4 off then you’ll get some weeks with 4 days pay and some with only 3. I’d say while you are learning the job you’d be looking at £450-500 on a 3 day week and £600-650 on a 4 day week . That’s take home, including nights out.

Try not to let others put you off or talk yourself out if it before you start. Good jobs are scarce at the moment so if they’ll give you a start you might as well just give it a go. Many people find out very quickly that the job isn’t for them but you won’t know unless you try.

Mattdriver1:
Hi thanks for reply don’t really understand those pay structures as I’ve been told it’s 140 for 9 hours , 185 for 12 , 26 for night out and a poxy 5 a day for food.

Are you able to explain?
Th aka

The Walon pay is a mystery in of itself. There are 2 pay schemes, a guaranteed day rate as you say of £140 for 9 hours through to 12 hours (though these rates should’ve increased by 3% from the start of the year I think), if you’re on a semi trailer or a van carrier you’ll most likely be working to these rates.

An 11+ driver can make serious money through the hourly, overtime + car bonus pay. It is pretty confusing but you’ll always be paid whatever is higher - your guaranteed day rate or your hourly/car bonus.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice if I pass the assessment think I will go for it and hopefully learn well on the job and be capable.

BCA inherited Stobart car transport so not good, now own ECM so good. BCA being the auction side should be mainly ex hire co’s etc, cinch, cazoo part exs. ECM supposed to be running seperate mainly new so that’s the better bet. Good luck.