Driving experience for jobs

I got my class 2 licence in nov 2019 and got my first actual driving job at the begining of jan. However, I was in a 7.5 tonner i did this job for aprox 14 months then went onto class 2 work with tesco which i did for 8-9 months when i got my class 1 in april. I have only been using my class 1 for 3 months and would still consider myself a new pass and get myself into all sorts of mischeaf that i then have to find another driver to help me sort. Alot of it is simply a case of a situation arising that I have never delt with or come across before. The rest is my crap reversing skills and being able to judge the space i need to turn around.

Looking at the adverts online alot of companys want 1 or 2 years driving experience which tecnicaly i have as started jan 2020 but generaly feel that my feebel attempts at pointing the thing let alone reversing it would exclude me from the “experience required”.

Am i being a wet blanket and thinking myself out of applying or should i in reality be looking for new pass positions

Go on and apply for the job that you want. Every body had to start some where. The fact that you know that you can/need /will improve is in your favour.

cooper1203:
Am i being a wet blanket and thinking myself out of applying or should i in reality be looking for new pass positions

Yes, yes you are being a wet blanket. In regards to the crap reversing skills and mis-judging the space you need to turn around that’s not just something that’s restricted to newly minted licence holders. There’s drivers I know who’ve been doing it 30 years who are still crap.

I would hurry up and get the job that you want, it could be years until you see the job market like it is now if all the news continues as it is!
Don’t worry about the reversing that will come with time.

Reversing improves as time passes, even “old hands” have off days.and don`t let anybody tell you different. I was on the road for 40 plus years there was occasion when my reversing was nothing short of being abysmal like a “newbie”.

cooper1203:
I got my class 2 licence in nov 2019 and got my first actual driving job at the begining of jan. However, I was in a 7.5 tonner i did this job for aprox 14 months then went onto class 2 work with tesco which i did for 8-9 months when i got my class 1 in april. I have only been using my class 1 for 3 months and would still consider myself a new pass and get myself into all sorts of mischeaf that i then have to find another driver to help me sort. Alot of it is simply a case of a situation arising that I have never delt with or come across before. The rest is my crap reversing skills and being able to judge the space i need to turn around.

Looking at the adverts online alot of companys want 1 or 2 years driving experience which tecnicaly i have as started jan 2020 but generaly feel that my feebel attempts at pointing the thing let alone reversing it would exclude me from the “experience required”.

Yes you are officially a wet blanket, most job applications involve a driving assessment so let them dicide.

Always apply for any job you think you can do and let them make the decision.

Having driven class 2 for a while should count in your favour

Experience doesn’t always mean experience driving a class 1.
It can mean many things .
IE you know how to use a tacho the rules etc.

you have expeince of driving around the country/ area finding places.
Using curtains etc.
Have an idea of paperwork how sites work.
You have more expeince than a new pass driver who’s maybe never used a tacho or driven to far from home .
So it should all be good for you.
Unless the advert states for insurance reasons.
Even though if jobs sounds good for you no harm in replying they can only say no

No stay doing what you are , obviously the company your with ( I assume your not agency ) accept your failings , would your new employer ? I’m not so sure & with the 3 / 6 month trial period most employers have in place you could easily end up with no job at all , I assume your young so you’ve plenty of time to progress
Nb were you the kid trying to reverse onto a bay at Iceland Swindon ? If so I’d look for a new career rather than another driving job

Dozy does raise a bit of a point there. I think many people can see a fair old downturn on the horizon or at least a high chance of one and three month “probation period” would take you neatly to just after Christmas… I wouldn’t put it past the more callous employers out there to use that to their advantage as you or anyone woukd be one of the last in, therefore one if the first out.

But having said that it depends on the job, sector etc etc

If you spot a job you fancy then yes go for it I say, you seem hard on yourself about daft things. Consider myself a new pass mate on just over 3 years and if its any consolation I was the world’s worst at getting nervous and cocking things up. Took me ages to get some confidence.

Like has been said, let their assessor decide in most cases… nowt to lose. And it’s all still experience :slight_smile:

dozy:
No stay doing what you are , obviously the company your with ( I assume your not agency ) accept your failings , would your new employer ? I’m not so sure & with the 3 / 6 month trial period most employers have in place you could easily end up with no job at all , I assume your young so you’ve plenty of time to progress
Nb were you the kid trying to reverse onto a bay at Iceland Swindon ? If so I’d look for a new career rather than another driving job

nope never been to swindon or any iceland depot.

toonsy:
Dozy does raise a bit of a point there. I think many people can see a fair old downturn on the horizon or at least a high chance of one and three month “probation period” would take you neatly to just after Christmas… I wouldn’t put it past the more callous employers out there to use that to their advantage as you or anyone woukd be one of the last in, therefore one if the first out.

But having said that it depends on the job, sector etc etc

This is the whole issue i think at the moment. At the moment i work for an agency. however because of several factgors ie the clients employing drivers, more drivers about, work slowing down etc etc im getting slightly less hours than i was.

the other issue i have is i have a months holiday planed at the end of jan so the whole issue of being got rid of at the end of xmas is a big one if i even get in the door. Then as it has been said im left with no job at all.

cooper1203:
nope never been to swindon (or any) iceland depot.

Be thankful for such a blessing.

njl:

cooper1203:
nope never been to swindon (or any) iceland depot.

Be thankful for such a blessing.

No. Everybody should meet the “delightful” Angie at least once :smiley: . Twice if you did not believe it first time :open_mouth:

You just need to be creative over your work history. Very few ever check

There is nothing wrong with using your class 2 or working in the warehouse at Tesco for only a couple of pound less. Do whatever you want, but if you are looking to do shop work, expect a challenging assessment reverse. If you can’t pass it, it is a no go anyway.

Maybe try trunking work, where you are regularly going to the same places and it is in your comfort zone?