Twin compartment reefer trailer problem

Yesterday did a reefer test. Forward compartment -25, rear compartment +2. After an hour or so forward compartment at -22 rear at -7. Previously ran a test using no dividing door to -25, which was ok.

Does this mean an issue with the internal partition not sitting right therefore allowing colder air to bleed through or an evaporator issue in the rear compartment or

something else?

Thoughts?

You drive it. Tel the boss man. It will then be his problem, not yours. :smiley:

I know little of all this, but am curious to know what temp difference is to be expected between the two compartments?

Franglais:
I know little of all this, but am curious to know what temp difference is to be expected between the two compartments?

The front bit should be at minus 25 and the back bit at plus two. Basically what it is set at otherwise you’ll end up freezing the chill product at the back and end up with it rejected by the customer. We run numerous splitter trailers and I’ve never honestly come across this before so I’d expect either a problem with the partition door, or more likely a problem with the rear roof mounted fridge.

Assuming foodstuffs? Is there any foodstuff that actually requires transporting at -25? Bearing in mind I only do frozen stuff these days and we set at -21 but anything to -15 is the minimum standard.

Sounds like there is a problem with the partition door check the locking handle is in the correct postion as when locked this pushes rubber seals against the fridge walls to make the door airtight, sometimes with a Schmitz door when the locking handle is in the correct position it does not push the seals out due to wear on the system, also check that any vents in the partition are closed and stay closed when the door is down.

-25 seems to be a UK thing load a product in Europe -20 same product in the UK -25 :question: only product I know that people insist on -25 is ice cream. Another UK thing is leaving a fridge running on a bay with the doors open and wonder why it’s revving it’s balls off and can’t reach -25 and is then knackered and spends the rest of the day on de frost

Divider is unfit for purpose aka f-ed

Is it a…

Twin evaporator? The very first twin fridges we had wouldn’t freeze the rear compartment, they only chill. This was found out to the firm costs when half a trailer of frozen bread arrived in Portugal sweaty and only fit for feeding ducks with.
On the same trip, the fridge unit was knocked off the inside roof by a fork-lift when re-loading in Spain as all the drivers said it would be. :smiley:

As others have said, it’s more likely crap seals on the dividing wall.

Mazzer2:
Another UK thing is leaving a fridge running on a bay with the doors open and wonder why it’s revving it’s balls off and can’t reach -25 and is then knackered and spends the rest of the day on de frost

This is my…

Fridge drivers pet hate. The nonsense idea that running a fridge whilst loading is a worthwhile idea. A total waste of fuel for no gain whatsoever.

yourhavingalarf:

Mazzer2:
Another UK thing is leaving a fridge running on a bay with the doors open and wonder why it’s revving it’s balls off and can’t reach -25 and is then knackered and spends the rest of the day on de frost

This is my…

Fridge drivers pet hate. The nonsense idea that running a fridge whilst loading is a worthwhile idea. A total waste of fuel for no gain whatsoever.

A bit like patio heaters, trying to freeze or heat …outside!

Some more info would be useful.

I assume it is a dual compartment twin temp with evaporator unit at the rear?

What type if bulkhead does is have, door or twin/single padded bulkhead?

If a door are the seals intact and does it have a vent on it that may or may not have been ripped off leaving a gaping hole in the door?

How old is the trailer?

Most trailers when they get a few years old suffer with keeping to a desired temp, with kanckered seals and damage etc to bulkheads.

But as said other than informing your boss of the temp discrepancy it’s not really your problem. If you think it’s not right VOR it and get the fridge engineer in to check and fix it.

Also did you do a temp printout and check what that says for compartment 2 and whether that ties up with the digital temp readings.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

OK guys problem solved !

We were testing an empty trailer prior to entering service on our way back from York. We put bars across in the middle dropped the doors (one left and one right) and tight to the rear of the partition.

It was the next bit the error occurred. We then placed the other bars behind the partition but not that close.

This morning went to the yard to suss out and the doors had basically moved. So put the rear bars tight to the doors, run again - bingo job done.

Of course in reality there would have been pallets up against the doors so the incident would not have happened. C’est la vie.

Good to go.

Thanks for all responses and those who said the partition doors take a bow. Could be a question in the new DCPC.

Oh yes I told my boss and then he said we’ll re-check. Thankfully they are one and the same. :smiley:

Sand Fisher:
OK guys problem solved !

We were testing an empty trailer prior to entering service on our way back from York. We put bars across in the middle dropped the doors (one left and one right) and tight to the rear of the partition.

It was the next bit the error occurred. We then placed the other bars behind the partition but not that close.

This morning went to the yard to suss out and the doors had basically moved. So put the rear bars tight to the doors, run again - bingo job done.

Of course in reality there would have been pallets up against the doors so the incident would not have happened. C’est la vie.

Good to go.

Thanks for all responses and those who said the partition doors take a bow. Could be a question in the new DCPC.

Oh yes I told my boss and then he said we’ll re-check. Thankfully they are one and the same. :smiley:

Swinging load bulkheads would certainly do that if nothing stopping them from moving that’s for sure. To be fair those double partition doors are by far the best for use than a solid bulkhead, but they also get damaged easily by loaders as do solid bulkhead doors too.

Glad you resolved the issue, the door should be a good fit and create a tight seal ideally for dual temp settings.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Was it empty? A fairly worn door, worn seals etc, can be improved when loaded. I’d be inclined to think that is the issue, airflow getting from front to back. The front fridge will blow quite hard so if empty the air will find any gaps

yourhavingalarf:

Mazzer2:

This is my…

Some customers insist on it. As you say utterly pointless but I’m not arguing point with them, they want it on it goes on

Sand Fisher:
OK guys problem solved !

Good to go.

Ok I commented before reading replies. As you were

I’m just curious if the two compartments each have their own thermostat ? Where I worked they had some refrigerated trailers with three compartments and they could each be set at their own temp.

switchlogic:
Was it empty? A fairly worn door, worn seals etc, can be improved when loaded. I’d be inclined to think that is the issue, airflow getting from front to back. The front fridge will blow quite hard so if empty the air will find any gaps

Yes it was empty. I dont think the issue would have arisen if loaded since the load would abutt the doors.