Licence renewal time to be sent

Hi all
As i have to renew my license every year with a medical, i am a bit concerned i sent the form with a medical one to DVSA mid August, on the 1st September i got a text from them saying due to demand its taking longer to process and that i can drive as long as a doctor or optician says not, its now 23rd September and still haven’t received it. my question is has anyone has to wait this long to receive there’s?

On another forum a similar question was asked, from the link the DVSA sent back they were working on applications made in mid July, this was about three days ago so probably another month or so.

Sction 88 should cover you, but if you are on agency whether client companies will accept that i haven’t a clue.

I’m in exactly the same boat. Sent off D4 form with medical done exactly a month ago.

Got email last week saying there would be a delay…

Phoned DLVA to get one of these Section 88 forms from a certain Mr Banks - but all the phone line says is “We’re too busy - please call later”.

So… How do I get one of these section 88 forms then? I didn’t find any on the Gov.uk website?

I’ve got enough holiday money stacked up to get by for two weeks (if necessary) without work.
Also, I’ve got agencies offering me indoor industrial work, but strangely no shunting jobs…

On checking today, they are currently processing applications from 12th July.

I sent mine 3rd week in July and it has now expired. I even wrote to my MP pointing out that it was counter-productive to be encouraging drivers back if they can’t get their licence renewed. He sent an email to DVLA but didn’t get anywhere with them :unamused:

Fortunately, my agency is still giving me work at the moment but keep asking if my licence has been renewed yet. I’m expecting the work to dry up before long…

Hi
Thanks for your replies, its comforting to know i am not alone with this problem.
I am retiring from my full time job tomorrow and have applied for a part time job with another company but as i haven’t got my licence back and they checked on the DVSA licence check website they couldn’t employ me as there is no mention of being able to drive while the application is being authorized. no wonder there is a shortage of drivers with all the obstacles that we have to face. thanks again

I was in a similar position in January, my licence expired on 28/01/21, I sent an application for renewal around 14/01 after realising they weren’t going to contact me even tho previous correspondence assured me they would. I received a similar letter detailing section 88 entitlement to drive. I was eventually invited for a DVLA medical exam in April and my new licence arrived in May. I believe delays have got worse since.

youtu.be/EkqSQRNl1P4

youtube.com/playlist?list=P … MFa4m7TsU4

gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … pplication

Gives you the dates they are processing. Look for renew vocational licence. Today its 12th July. I sent mine in early August and only recently had a text saying its been received.

Section 88 is automatic as long as you’ve not been advised not to drive or don’t believe you have a medical condition which you believe could cause your licence to be suspended. Only applies also if you previously had the category, eg: not previously suspended.

You don’t need to do anything so no forms.

trevHCS:
DVLA services update - GOV.UK

Gives you the dates they are processing. Look for renew vocational licence. Today its 12th July. I sent mine in early August and only recently had a text saying its been received.

Section 88 is automatic as long as you’ve not been advised not to drive or don’t believe you have a medical condition which you believe could cause your licence to be suspended. Only applies also if you previously had the category, eg: not previously suspended.

Agencies don’t want to touch me until the DVLA website no longer says my licence has expired. At the moment, I’ve received an email three weeks ago saying my D4 had been received, but nothing since.
Licence expired today, and my next week’s worth of shifts - have all been taken away from me. I’ll be drawing one lot of holiday pay next week, and another lot the week after - then I’m down to zero income again, with there being no help from DWP as I’m already over the taper threshold for the month of september, so wouldn’t get anything until November 8th - if I went onto Universal Credit.

I don’t think I can make two week’s holiday pay last SIX weeks, alas…

Winseer:

trevHCS:
DVLA services update - GOV.UK

Agencies don’t want to touch me until the DVLA website no longer says my licence has expired. At the moment, I’ve received an email three weeks ago saying my D4 had been received, but nothing since.
Licence expired today, and my next week’s worth of shifts - have all been taken away from me. I’ll be drawing one lot of holiday pay next week, and another lot the week after - then I’m down to zero income again, with there being no help from DWP as I’m already over the taper threshold for the month of september, so wouldn’t get anything until November 8th - if I went onto Universal Credit.

I don’t think I can make two week’s holiday pay last SIX weeks, alas…

Don’t worry, Boris is going to get some foreigners in to do your job.

FFS! Why the ■■■■ can’t they spend £400Billion to sort out the DVLA. Then there would be no shortage if the people who want to drive could get a licence.